What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Behind on pictures

But I'll try to make it worthwhile...




I was taking Scrappy to the woods, watching leaves fall, thinking how much an autumn day it was...





And for the dozenth time in recent days, I began to consider the character of the trees.  The differences, the statements they make about their long lives.






Some of them don't seem to have those characteristics- they look like poles, straight up and down.  But that's because we're looking straight ahead instead of listening to Jack Horkheimer- "Keep looking up!"





Even the used to be's- like ancient fences, odd-placed boulders, trees with holes where branches were pruned- makes me wonder, "What was here before?"  One of the reasons I was once into Runelore is the sensitivity to the spirit in everything- even old fenceposts have a story.  Am I wrong to see this?



37 Then, as He was now drawing near the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works they had seen, 38 saying:
‘Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord!’[d]
Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”
39 And some of the Pharisees called to Him from the crowd, “Teacher, rebuke Your disciples.”
40 But He answered and said to them, “I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out.” (Luke 19)





And is the difference between a weed and beauty only location?







A cluster of berries isolated and nearly hidden and bits of drainage tile along the path both ask the same thing- What went before?



And if it is autumn, the trees don't hold the monopoly on color.







Along with the usual sights and sounds of a Saturday walk...






And the eventual realization of the irony in a man wearing an Oklahoma hoodie and Tennessee hat on a day when the Sooners and Vols play tonight...





And hey!  When I downloaded these, I saw I had some shots of the last trip to the hump'n'dump:


The brawl begins!

Lexy and Nova


Sir Humps-a-lot and Fin.

12 comments:

  1. Chris:
    Funny you took this particular "notice" to those wooded areas...Wifey & I did the SAME thing when we bopped out to Eagle Marsh today...
    It is often awe-inspiring to be "embraced" by God's creation (and it just plain feels good, too).
    Many times, we just walk past and rarely take it in.
    Today was different...and it was good.

    Very nice pictures.

    Stay safe up there, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your "butterfly's" post on FB. And the whole thing started out with prayer, too.

      Delete
  2. Hey there...great pictures! Really really enjoyed them all. Hope all is well with you guys! XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think of the story behind things. There's a tree on the way to work, off on the side of the highway, that exists among really healthy trees, but it is completely dead. Yet there it stands, strong, through every storm, untouched. I love it. The contrast of brown and green, the life surrounding death imagery, The perplexity of why it IS still standing.... and all Tony sees is a dead tree.

    Loved your comment on George Washington. They actually said there that the reason he was so vested in wheat was because the taxes on wheat were SO much less than tobacco, he could quite simply, make more money off it. Incidentally, did you happen to see the post before Mt. Washington? (It was on Spots)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did, but had to remind myself, as I read it on one of my recent bad sinus days. I truly wanted to formulate a good comment for the little post office, but brains of snot don't make for good thinking.

      A lot of the trees that are dead tell as much a story as the live ones. There was one I snapped a long time ago in which two trees had actually grown up semi-into each other. The one had died, but the living one was keeping it up- it was really profound. A couple winters ago though, the live one lost it's grip and the dead one has slipped out of the intimate hold and has begun its journey to the cold earth. If I could, I'd push it back and tie it in place... but there's something to be said for letting go, I guess...

      Delete
  4. They just chopped a bunch of trees by the power line. Then they chopped a bunch more because of that ash borer beetle. sp? too lazy to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sad... the death of the trees, not your spelling.

      Delete
  5. Wow, looks like a beautiful walk and I agree - definitely seems like a fall day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note on the seasons- be sure to check out Lauries contribution to this week's Martin World News.

      Delete
  6. I love trees and you are so right about weeds. Some of the worst ones around here were originally boring regular English garden plants bought out by settlers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that your artist's eye would see things much the same. Unfortunately, my partner sees the world through the smell of dog pee and isn't near so fascinated.

      Delete