What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Scrappy and the Great Ground Hog War

Yes, Scrappy has finally had his long awaited duke out with a ground hog.  Actually, there were FIVE of them.

But now, I'm leaving out an important part of the story here in the build up, so let's go back to the beginning.


First, I spotted what appeared to be a small bugger on Ground Hog Road ahead of us.  He kept  ducking into the grass.






And when I got up closer, he didn't move, which I found odd.  But then I saw the size of things.





It was a little guy fer shure, small enough I could have gotten two of them in a sock.  He was doing as he was taught by mom- danger comes, play dead.


Which was all well and good, until Scrappy- who damn near stepped on him before he noticed- tried to sniff him.






The battle began once Scrappy got nose to nose!  It snapped, swatted, ran away, DID A COMPLETE 360 DEGREE BACKFLIP, and generally antagonized Scrappy until, not knowing what to do, he tried to pick him up from his back.  I told him to let go, he did, and the feisty little $#!t ran off.






A few feet ahead, another one lay playing dead.  I heard a third scamper into the bushes.  This one, Scrappy had NO desire to even mess with for some reason, and we left him laying there after a few seconds.




Then, a few feet later, enter two MORE...





And the feature match of the night quickly broke out between Scrappy and the more aggressive one of the pair...











He would charge, Scrappy would jump back, Scrappy would come up, he would snap, he'd run away, Scrappy would give chase, he'd turn around and fight some more.  Long before anyone could get hurt, I pulled Scrappy back and we watched the diminutive Avenger scamper off to safety.


All in all a "good" time was had by all (give or take a tad of rodent adrenaline), and Scrappy's tail wagged like a whip on 5 HR Energy all the way back down Ground Hog Road.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like great fun for Scrappy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris:
    Yeah, but did ANY of those groundhogs see their SHADOW???
    I KNOW they saw Scrappy's!
    (way up close and personal)

    Just like them...gang up on the pooch.
    Still, they are sorta cute (until you disturb their calm...kinda like me in that regard, except for the cute thing...lol.)
    Glad no one got injured, maimed, bit, chewed upon or gnawed...
    Bet Scrappy can't wait for the next "grudge match".
    Make it PPV event and clean up!

    Good post.

    Stay safe (and avoid any wolverines) up there, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, they stayed too low, and the sun was SO hot, there were no shadows- except during the 360 flip...

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! What fun! I wonder where the mama was during all of this? My dogs would've done the same thing and been just as happy all the way home too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the first person to ask that- including me. Prolly down the den saying, "God it's good to get them off my teats!"

      Delete