What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Pictures and the semi-annual rant against ranting

So truth be told I'm skimming over a lot of news and Facebook (its hillbilly cousin) political articles anymore.  BEcause.... when you see the same crap over and over again...  you know: the voices you hear from "the left" are only the most ridiculous, the most extreme- and, unfortunately, the minions that listen and repeat without stopping and thinking.  And what you hear on "the right", you get memes ( about 25% of which are actually humorous), the continuing reports on how ridiculous and evil the other side is, and the latest joke about Hillary's book (which is a self-telling joke if ever one existed, and in need of no further elucidation).  We bitch and complain about how Congress can't get together on things when we can't either, we bitch and complain about the platforms universities are giving whackjob profs and militant students in their thrall when the only one REALLY giving them a platform are those who keep posting what they said on FB;   in other words, we complain about the mess we make ourselves.


Thus, I am going to do my best henceforth to not be triggered by those who don't think on either side.  Eventually I'll prolly have to stop and tear some idiot a new one again, but I'm going to try to be selective and only go after Hollywood "experts on real life" and Ivory Tower pseudo-intellectuals when absolutely necessary, for example if they are starting to veer into a new, virgin level of stupidity or their lack of logic can be dismissed in a new and amusing way.  Everything else, I'll just shrug my shoulders and say...




*******************************************************

Having declared thus, let's move on to pictures!


What could this Gatling gun mean?

Why, it's Johnny Appleseed weekend.  BOOM!

Blow this up to see how much a slave would have run you.  That $1,200 in 1860 dollars would have you paying $33,804 today.  Wow!



This dude was the hit of the show.  He was a chocolatier, and he and his wife explained the history of chocolate making as they explained how to make chocolate- and even let us sample "chocolate tea".


Ran in to Honest Abe a lot...



Maybe last year for the alpacas- owners are getting out of the business to retire, and are selling their stock...

Lincoln speechifying.

And yes, we ran into the CBS News guy, but as we never watch Sunday Morning and didn't know him from Adam, was no big deal.  At least Saturday morning the crowd was WAAAY down from what I'm used to... in all the years I've been going, it was the first time I walked up to the Central Lions stand for my buffalo burgers without waiting- and first time I got a sarsparilla refill without a 1/2 hour plus wait in line.  Speaking of buffalo burgers, I got a text later in the afternoon from KC...




"First buffalo burger for Peanut."


Sunday I tried making it up to Scrappy (for not being allowed at JAF) with a walk.  It was warmer than it looked, humid, and the mosquitos made a late season appearance.  Still...


Big ol' shroom.  Scared the Shroom slayer off...



This poor little guy was lying curled up on the trail in the woods.  A little prodding got him moving unwillingly, and screeching at us like a madman.  Guessing he fell out of the nest and was stunned and scared, really didn't see any other injuries.  Hopefully momma will come looking now and/or he'll snap out of it enough to move to cover.

In the meantime, we did run across one deer, but the skeeters were annoying and Scrappy was in slo-mo, so we headed up Dead Tree Road, and saw this:









Darn it!  Why didn't you tell me the fox was RIGHT HERE!!??!

4 comments:

  1. Chris:
    ---I SO agree with your opening...
    (truth be told, I bitch about the mess I make often...but then again, I am the one cleaning up the mess...pretty easy to figure THAT one out...lol)
    ---Gatling gun you say? I am...intrigued.
    ---So slaves would cost $33K (and change) TODAY...and HOW much in government-subsidies do the welfare crowd get again? (a lot more?)
    Seems the iron shackles were broken...and generational poverty took it's place.
    Talk about being "indentured".
    ---Chocolatier...I think I remember seeing him YEARS ago there...chocolate has come a LONG way from the cocoa bean, that's for sure (and tastes better as a result).
    ---Hey, there's an idea...we an become ALPACA herders! Move far from the madding crowds.
    ---You know how many strings I hadda pull to get ABE there? I mean he wanted to go see this play in D.C., and I said "Nah...I got something WAY better than that".
    Besides, I told him I'd have him back before the curtain rises.
    Have TARDIS Will Travel, eh?
    ---Peanut with a mouth fulla Buffalo...LOL!
    (don't see that every day)
    ---Awww...that little squirrel is so cute (I wanna feed him, and NOT to the cats!)
    ---That fox was a'watchin' you guys.

    Glad you all had a good time.
    Thanks for the travelogue...always enjoyable.

    Stay safe (and sarsaparilla-filled) up there, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The squirrel thing was so sad. I hope momma came and got him. He was so scared all curled up- and worse once I disturbed him. To imagine the volume of his scream at us, imagine stepping on Violet's tail- with her head by a microphone. Wouldn't believe something so small could make that sound.

      Delete
  2. Hey now, what's with the old timey gatling gun? I thought we all knew that when the founding fathers created the second amendment, it was because they wanted us to have slow loading flintlock pistols only, and they'd be "horrified" if they knew about our current assault rifles, and repeal that amendment instantly?

    Oh, crap, sorry for making this political.

    I hear you, though, which is why I really don't hang around Facebook anymore. And like you said, it's both sides. You want Hillary to finally go away? Then stop talking about her. Even negative attention is still attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just dropped by and scrolled through the photos before I go see the quack, the squirrel looked kinda cute. That is all I have to say for today

    ReplyDelete