What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Saturday, December 30, 2017

M50 post Numero I

Today I run through the first 10 members of this year's top 50, voted on by... well, me.  I plan on interspersing the tale with various other things, and today I'll be telling you the tale of how KC and I took Aaron to his first hockey game.



Now in honor of firsts, I'll start out of order with the only act in the 41-50 slots NOT to be posting their first M10 hit in this countdown...




...Jana Kramer, whose I've Done Love grabs the #47 slot;  and also, there only two of these acts that don't post their first hit with the songs in this grouping ( though they do later on).  And they would be... 



...POWERS, the one act that has three songs in the countdown, with their second one, Closer, coming in at #49...



...and Flogging Molly, whose second trip into the M10, The Days We've Yet To Meet, comes up at #50.


Now, last night we got to the game pretty close to the last minute, and thus had to park way out in the snow-swept boonies (which is a little redundant as everything was snow-swept).  KC wondered if we'd remember where the vehicle was, but I wisely observed we were between row P and row S, and told Aaron that if he kept in mind the main two bathroom functions, we would be just fine.


Inside, we watched the hometown Komets play the Wheeling Nailers.  First thing that KC taught our young novitiate was to look through the Nailers' roster to pick out a name to pick on.  They soon settled on a player named Fejes.  Apparently pronounced FEEG-ees with a very hard "g", KC started calling him "Veggies".  Not to be outdone, I suggested that the "j" was in fact an upside down and somewhat mutilated "c", and thus he was in fact "Feces."


No feces in this countdown, though.  Though we had no crap, we did have a "creep"- this week's #1 song, Shilpa Ray's Manhattanoid Creepazoids, coming in at #48. 





Others of possibly questionable elements include the band that plays what it called "Gay opera church music"...





 ...the Hidden Cameras with their tune Day I Left Home at #46...




... and the non-PC named Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears at #42 with PTP.



The first period of the game really gave Aaron the best of things: two Komet goals for a 2-0 lead that lasted well into the final period, and two fights- the second of which featured our best guy (AKA the one KC and I liked from last year) Cody Sol pounding a luckless opponent into oblivion.  After which, while there was considerable pushing and shoving, no one further dared to drop the gloves again.


Yeah, just try something...


And I couldn't mention a fight without mentioning the great fight video from Colony House's You And I, which takes #41...





  On the opposite side of who you want to fight for you would prolly be ...





...Barry Manilow, whose NYC Rhythm/On Broadway medley took #45- which, I told Laurie was somewhat ironic.  When I was a kid and he was big, I used to get so mad at end-of-year countdowns that always stuck his songs outside the top 40- and yet, now with my own countdown, here he sits.



Though we had a shutout going, our goalie was more lucky than good IMHO, and I figured it wouldn't last.  And I was right- just after the middle of the 3rd period, he gave up two quick goals, and with about 5 minutes to go, it looked like we might have OT... but....


...first, let's bring up our last two songs for today.  One of them...





...is Greta Morgan AKA Springtime Carnivore with Midnight Room (which I have been known to sing to Scrappy as "Midnight Booofus") at #43.  The other...






...the late Tom Petty and his Heartbreakers with the amazingly prescient #1 hit Walls No. 3....


Some things are over
Some things go on
Part of me you carry
Part of me is gone



...which finishes the year at #44.  And the finish of the hockey game?


Well, first I have to tell you about the Komet I picked on.  His name was Mason Baptista, and I found him to be slow on an ice-skating tortoise level, and was on him all night- until late in the second, when I told KC, "Since I've picked on him SO much, he'll probably score."

So anyway with that table set, the game finished with two Komet goals in a very short time.  Then, after we killed off a rare penalty (outside the fights, the refs only called an obvious high-stick and a cross-check I missed), the Nailers pulled their goalie for the extra skater.  And guess who hit the empty net.

Mason Baptista.


One more note on Baptista:  I had been cheering on a Komet named Gabriel Desjardins (calling him "Frenchy").  When Baptista made his appearance, KC said, "Another Frenchy", but I said, "If he was French, it would be Baptiste with an "e".  I don't know what he is with an "a" ."

KC quipped, "Maybe 'southern French'."

To which I added, " Maybe Creole?"


Later as I was going down my Twitter feed at home, I hit the Komet tweet on Baptista's goal.  Onto which, Twitter added the following helpful hint- 'translate from Haitian Creole?'

Some things you can't make up.  Come back Monday for some order of 40-31!

5 comments:

  1. Chris:
    ---Well, (imho) I see some contention with the list (so far)...AGREED that Manilow should be HIGHER (as should Jana and Molly).
    I am hoping the Monkees and Darius Rucker come in pretty far UP the list.
    ---As to the hockey game...the highlights looked to be a really good game.
    I figured they could take Wheeling handily, plus you got to see a good fight AND an empty net goal (one of my personal favorites).
    All you needed was a hat trick to make it complete!
    ---When Monday comes, I will be here reading...(and get Jana Kramer in the top ten SOMEWHERE...lol).

    Stay safe (and keep warm) up there, brother.

    (btw, you owe me a comment for Friday...my last post of THIS year...heh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to break your heart, but this is for calendar year 2017- the Monkees didn't chart this year, and Jana only the once. And Mt Rucker as Don Adams might say, missed the 50 by THAT much...

      On the bright side, three former Beauty Contestants (and 2 potentially this year) are on the next post for 40-31...

      Delete
  2. A new year, new adventures, well I hope that is the case

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a rousing hockey game! ☺ So many goalies are more lucky than good, it seems. Interesting mix of music. I'll take Tom Petty over Barry Manilow, any day! Still can't come to grips with his early demise. Thanks for stopping by The Doglady's Den. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a pretty good eulogy, titled Let's Get To The Point, back when it happened. Tom has been a part of my family's life for a long time, and it hit me hard as well.

      Delete