What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Vacation rest of day four and five (so far)

So one thing I should let you in on, since this WILL be the M10 update post, is that we have been enjoying some music fun over vacation.  A few nights ago, I started going "this week in" from 1962-87 and playing songs that we hadn't heard in a while off those charts.  Last night, we played a game- I let Laurie loose on the Cashbox archives page, and she played songs that she thought I would know the act- but not the song- and played them to see if I could guess who.  I did a good job on some like Bobby Rydell, the DC5, and others, and one time she led me astray by trying to tell me that my guess of "Dionne Warwick" was "the wrong color" (the subject was Gladys Knight...)  My best was when she played a 1967 song by the Contours and I guessed both the Ruffin Brothers.  I was right about brothers- the lead vocal was Joe Stubbs, brother of Levi from the 4 Tops.  Just had the wrong set of brothers, though we didn't know it until after the fact.

Debut the first- at #10, the seventh time on the chart for Beach House:






So with the remainder of yesterday being rain and music, we move on to today, where we took a trip to Pokagon...


That is actually The Galley, a restaurant anchored on a sandbar...



First up, a nature walk...

This was one big tree that fell over... we coulda both hid in there!


Unlike Toledo last year, or even Salamonie, the water is SO clear...

"Laurie, climb out there and let me take a picture!"
"Ah, no."



The Nature Center had lotsa turtles on exhibit...







We got there just as the custodian was getting ready to feed the birdies....








And as we watched, despite having zero problems on the way up, Laurie and I got bit by the one mosquito in the area- INSIDE the Nature Center!






 




Also different than Salamonie, lots of minnows- and shells










Then it was lunch on the Circle at Monument Pizza Pub...





I believe this shall be our "go-to" place in Angola- LOVED the truffle fries!


Before we move on, here's this week's other debut- courtesy of my former boss Tim, who bird-dogged it for me!  From their 2012 lp The Whippoorwill, this is soon-to-come-to FTW act Blackberry Smoke...






Then a walk about downtown...






One thing we know now about Angola, if you need a lawyer, a coffee shop, or a junk dealer  antique shop, Downtown Angola will give you all the variety you need!

Anyway, I don't know what the rest of the day holds, other than a quickly-approaching nap, and the remainder of this week's M10:

Black Joe Lewis squeezes out week #9 at #9 with Nature's Natural- which I understand is the theme of the Luke Cage tv show (Bob, why didn't you tell me?  Oh, and BTW, happy birthday Bobby G!  Have some of that leftover Elvis cake...)


Quiet Hollers moves up to #8 with Addicted- while Player moves up one to #6 with Addiction.

Gilbert O'Sullivan moves up a spot to #5 with The Same The Whole World Over...

Kidsmoke holds at #4 with Patterns...

Last week's top dog, the Jayhawks' Backwards Women, drops to #3...

Dorothy slides into the 2-hole with Ain't Our Time To Die...

And at #1....




...ELO with Buildings Have Eyes!


And, in case you hadn't quite noticed, Wednesday Bible Study will be back next week as well!

2 comments:

  1. Chris:
    ---Beach House...nice after dinner song (for me).
    ---Nice idea w/ those songs/artists
    ---That restaurant (The Galley) should be fun when heavy rains raise the level of the lake and make that sandbar go away...!
    ---That IS one big hole left by that fallen tree.
    ---I'm w/ Laurie...not going THAT far out on THAT branch!
    ---Great looking trails and that's one BIG turtle.
    ---Heh...looks like th4 JAYS got first dibs on the grub.
    ---When it comes to skeeters, it ONLY takes one with persistence.
    ---Looks like a very serene beach they have there.
    ---I'm with Laurie...plenty of shade there.
    ---Monument - Did 'ya try the pizza, and how was it?
    ---Blackberry Smoke - very good acoustics (a shame no one's got a 12 string) and vocals. I like this song.
    ---Von Steuben's looking well these days.
    ---I did NOT know that Black Joe Louis did the Luke Cage theme - we don't do those Netflix tv series we never see on cable.
    That's why I haven't seen Star Trek: Discovery either.
    ---Elvis is not even coming close to this cake, I can assure you (D has something to say about that).
    ---ELO at #1...not a surprise. It's a good song.

    Excellent vacation travelogue.

    Stay safe (and well-rested) up there, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The branch: I told Laurie, "30 years ago I would have climbed right out there. Now, not so much."

      Laurie had the pizza and loved it- I had a bacon-mushroom-swiss burger that hit the spot.

      Delete