What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Wednesday Bible study: the end... and beginning



As I laid down to a nap Sunday, I was reminded that I hadn't gotten to the last of our 3:16s- the main one, from John's Gospel:

Joh 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 


And as I fell asleep, I kept hearing in my mind, "the key is, 'so loved'. "

When I woke up, I began my usual dissecting of the verse, and I noticed in particular two words, which will be the limit of this study.  And they both concern the idea of breathing.

The word used for love is the famous agapaō from which we get agape.  The highest, most divine love.  But poke at the word a wee bit.  The Strongs explanation begins, "Perhaps from ἄγαν agan (much; or compare [H5689])", so I compared.  "An ancient root- To breathe after."

And isn't that a neat way to view the extent of God's love?  Breath, the very symbol of life.  He breathes after us.

Next word, 'Him', as in "believeth in Him."  Once again the main point is the "reflexive pronoun, 'self' ", but again, dig the next step.  Strongs says, "From the particle αὖ au (perhaps akin to the base of G109 through the idea of a baffling wind; backward); ".  And that G109, gives us this:

From ἄημι aēmi (to breathe unconsciously, that is, respire; by analogy to blow)

The word for him literally means 'to breathe or blow backwards'.  God breathes after us; we breathe him in, to become self.  Whether we realise it or not.


This really brings me back to a passage I just read in Spurgeon.  At least in the sense that, we are made to breathe in what God breathes out.  Spurgeon was talking about the doctrine of election, and how Satan uses it against us.  He says:

Why, it would be hell inside a man's conscience if he knew he was condemned merely because God willed he should be.  Yet this could never be the case, for the very essence of hell is sin, and a sense of having willfully committed it.  There could not be any flames of hell if there were not this conviction in the minds of the people suffering them: "I knew my duty, but I did not do it;"...  Also, remember that whatever the doctrine of election may be or may not be, the Gospel gives a free invitation to needy sinners. (Spurgeon On Prayer And Spiritual Warfare, p 351)

Does this, or that whole thing about election confuse you?  Don't let it.  Spurgeon says a bit later:

Now, you may say, "I cannot reconcile the two..." God knows where these two things meet, even if you do not, and I hope you do not intend to wait until you are a philosopher before you will be saved.  If you do, it is likely... you will find yourself in hell, where your wisdom will not do you any good.


Don't wait.  Believe now.  Complete the circle for which you were made.


*********************************************

Right now, I am not convinced what to tackle here next.  This would be a good time for any and all suggestions.  Thanks, and thanks for riding along!


6 comments:

  1. Chris:
    You did a remarkable job of taking us through the "3:16s".I've never had such an in-depth study of verxes we all but pass by or take for granted.
    ---As to future ideas...lemme ponder it a bit and get back to you.
    Thanks again for some very good eye-opening.

    Stay safe (and prayerful) up there, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to let you know, the Lord mad HIS idea clear a night or so ago and the next episode is in the can...

      Delete
  2. I find that passage humbling. I remember when I was small, I attended AWANA. They told me that God knew exactly how many hairs were on my head at any given moment because he's all knowing. To me, it was a great reminder that no matter how vast the universe is, God is paying attention to tiny little me.

    Suggestions: Some more on Revelations (I personally found it scary when I first read it. Now, not so much). Also, Proverbs. Love them!

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are good ideas, and the new idea given me (see above reply) may well have a Revelation cameo. Proverbs is a big thing here- Laurie and I are both doing the "31 chapters, 31 days" thing. I will be starting my fourth time through tomorrow.

      Delete