What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, April 19, 2019

Time Machine co-ordinates VIXC53741965



Today, we enter April 19th of 1965- the day that "Moore's Law" was coined.  Actually, what was coined was an observation by Gordon Moore, who pointed out as a prophecy- the amount of things on an integrated circuit would double every year "for the foreseeable future".  The "foreseeable future" lasted 10 years, when he updated the prediction to every 2 years.  And now?  Well, the every 2 was eerily accurate until about 2012; Intel now tells us that it's slowed to "closer to 2 1/2 years."

Gordon Moore, enjoying the retired life in 2004


Welcome to Time Machine, which uses the advanced technology of... well, Windows 7 Home Premium... to bring you the best in the past!  I have only one thing I'm going to tease you with... this week, the NEW Beatles!!!  This one is bound to be a classic!


*****************************************************

Two songs debut in the M10 this week- and the first at #10 was Laurie's choice for one of last week's slots!  With what WAS their actual first single from the lp Run It Again, here's Criminal Hygiene...






I think I've had that cereal...


*************************************



Back in the 90s, Marvel needed a gimmick while the FF was busy on some big crossover, so they assembled their most popular characters of the time- Spider Man, the Hulk, Ghost Rider, and Wolverine- under the title "NEW Fantastic Four".  And it got me thinking.  With the (with good reason) reluctance of the Beatles to appear after their last time here, I thought, why not have a NEW Beatles along these same lines!  So here to do the Panel Picks:

Playing Paul's part of "the cute one", we have...



...Davy Jones of the Monkees!!!

D:  I am cute, aren't I!

Filling out the part of the "Oriental mystic" a la George, I give you...


Cat Stevens!  He even kinda favors him!

C:  Well, I'm actually thinking of changing my name to better reflect my faith.  You can call m...

That's great, Cat!  For the Ringo role of the "fun drummer everyone loves", I give you...




...Peter Criss of KISS!!!!

P:  WOO-OOO-OOO-WOOO!!!!

And, filling John's part of the "Arrogant pseudo-intellectual with the Messiah complex", here's....



...Todd Rundgren!!!

T:  What, wait!  "Arrogant pseudo-intellectual with..."

Well, you know, you're the one who thought it appropriate to alienate half your fan base on political grounds... Besides, I've always kind of agreed with that reviewer from the old Hit Parader Magazine who commented on Oops, Wrong Planet:  "Who the hell cares about gangrene and Mr Exxon?  When are you going to get back to writing a (expletive) love song?"

T:  Why, you... you must be a fascist Trump supporter!

MAGA, MAGA, MAGA....

T:  AIIIIIIIIIIIEEEE!! (Slams door, continues screaming into the time vortex)

Well, as much fun as that was, I've rather made a hash of...  Yes, Nardole?

N:  Sir, this man demands an audience with you right n...

L:  Excuse me, Mr Martin, I am Horace Bellbottom, and I represent the legal firm which, er, represents Apple Records... I have here a cease and desist from misrepresenting my clients with these ...poseurs... 

P:  Poseurs?  Listen stuffed shirt, this group put together has 37 top forties and THREE number ones!

L:  My clients have 48 top 40s and TWENTY #1s.  Your point?

Uh, listen guys, maybe you better do as the man says and take off... I guess I'll do the Panel myself this week...

L:  And don't think that this absolves you of possible libel charges... "Messiah complex," indeed.

Yeah, John's quoted as saying they were bigger than Jesus, so I'm not scared there, Higgenbotham...

L:  That's Bellbottom.  Horace Bell...

N:  Very good, sir.  This way, if you all please...

D:  I take it we don't want to use the door the other bloke did..

N:  Not a good idea, young man...

C:  Allahu Akbar, my friends!

Yabba Dabba Doo to you, too, Cat...

D:  Say, I like that makeup...

P:  Yeah man, the kids eat it up!  You guys oughtta try it...

D: No... our lawyers would probably put us in complete suits, and it's hard to look cute with a long brown tail always underfoot...



Geez, another disaster on Beatles week.  Anyway, let me get to the Panel this week- 56 stations, 17 contestants.

The one vote wonders kick off with The Moody Blues with Go Now, at #10 on Cashbox.

Sounds Orchestral's version of Cast Your Fate To The Wind is at #23...

A neat little tune was the Australian duo of Bobby Bright and Laura Allen with I Belong With You.

The Stones had a two sided hit in the mix.  Getting one vote was the b-side, Play With Fire, which peaked at #99.

Gary Lewis and the Playboys were at #20 with Count Me In.

Marvin Gaye's I'll Be Doggone is at #19.

The Beatles themselves pick up a pair of votes- one for Ticket To Ride which was at #76, and one for Rock And Roll Music, which was charting in Australia.

Another band with 2 sides charting- if not well- were Van Morrison's Them, who got one vote for Baby Please Don't Go at #98.

Finally, Martha and the Vandellas were at #11 with Nowhere To Run.

That leaves us 4 "also receiving votes" and three finalists.  The also-rans included the other side of Playing With Fire, The Last Time (#14) and the other half of Them's single, Gloria, at #106, getting two votes each.

And with three votes, we had the Supremes and Stop In The Name Of Love at #3 and the goofy Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders with Game Of Love at #2.


Which leads to the top trio!  Choose from:

Herman's Hermits and Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter at 31 and DEBUTING...

Freddie and the Dreamers with I'm Telling You Now, the #1 song;

And Petula Clark at #5 I Know A Place.  Have fun on this one!



**************************************************



So with the rise of Idlewild and Maybird as modern Psychedelic acts on the M10, Laurie and I had a discussion about what is a psychedelic tune.  And without a definite dividing line, there are lists out there that range from softer pop like Penny Lane to rockers like hard alt band Tool.  And you know what they say about opinions, thus my research led me to nothing I could even jam together to get a consensus.  So after exhausting research (which led to the discovery of 2 songs that will likely debut on NEXT week's M10), I decided to just give you my top psychedelic tunes!  I had sixteen that really stood out for me (and feel free to add yer own in the comments).

16- I Am The Walrus, Beatles
15- I'd Love To Change The World, Ten Years After
14- All Along The Watchtower, Jimi Hendrix Experience
13- White Rabbit, Jefferson Airplane
12- Time Has Come Today, Chambers Brothers
11- Crimson And Clover, Tommy James and the Shondells
10- White Room, Cream
9-   Sunshine Of Your Love, also Cream
8-   A Day In The Life, Beatles
7-   Shape Of Things To Come, Max Frost and the Troopers
6-   Whiter Shade Of Pale, Procul Harum
5-   Wear Your Love Like Heaven, Donovan
4-   Strawberry Fields Forever, Beatles
3-   Good Vibrations, Beach Boys
2-   Time Of The Season, Zombies

And at #1...




... Strawberry Alarm Clock and Incense And Peppermints!!!!

*******************************

The high debut on the M10 comes in at #7- the title cut for The Dig...






*************************************

This week, we kick off a (not on-the-fly for a change) 6D with Sammy Davis Jr!



"And I promise I won't sue you, baby!"



And I appreciate that!  His signature song, I've Got To Be Me, was the b-side of one of Laurie's favorites- but not by the guy she knows it by.  The song in question was Brook Benton's version of Don't It Make You Want To Go Home, a #45 for Mr Benton, and a little bit higher- #41- by the original, Joe South.  Joe comes into the flow for having written the song Hush for Billy Joe Royal (who hit #52), but was much bigger off the debut lp by Ritchie Blackmore and Deep Purple.



Now, I just read that Ritchie and the guys had originally wanted their band to be a "clone of Vanilla Fudge", the band that gave the psychedelic spin to so many familiar hits.  And one of those VF psyched-out renditions was, surprisingly, the song at #4 without a Panel vote- Jr Walker and the All-Stars' Shotgun.




*********************************************




Ye Olde Stat Pack:

Big mover was the Temptations' It's Growing, growing 25 spots from 64 to 39.

Freddie and the Dreamers started the Freddie dance craze with Do The Freddie; this week Chubby Checker took the song, with the word "Let's" added at the beginning, into the #65 in '65 position.  Interesting note:  Robert Englund added Freddy Kruger vocals to a 1987 cover of this same song, off an lp called Freddy's Greatest Hits.  It was done by the "Elm Street Band", and contained covers of In The Midnight Hour, Wooly Bully, and All I Have To Do Is Dream.


The UK #1 was- what a surprise- Cliff Richard with a nice tune called The Minute You're Gone.  I knew 20 of the UK 50, and 38 of the Cashbox 100.


*********************************

The remaining M10:

The 2 songs in week #7 both drop- You Seemed So Happy by The Japanese House from 4 to 9;  Anna Burch says her Irish Goodbye going from 5 to 8 with St Adalbert.


The three debuts from last week flip their positions:  Alkonost's Tanets Tsveten'ya from 8 to 6; Maybird's Don't Keep Me Around from 9 to 5; and Mara Connor's No Fun from 10 to 4.

J Mascis holds at 3 with See You At The Movies; last week's top dog, Idlewild's Dream Variations slips to 2 after a couple of weeks at #1.




Which means the NEW #1...





...Indy's Lily and Madeline with Can't Help The Way I Feel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And the Panel winner? in a rout, with 42.85% of the vote...







....Herman's Hermits with Mrs Brown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Next week, 1966!  Have a great Easter, y'all!

4 comments:

  1. "Mrs. Brown, you've got a lovely daughter..."

    Oops, I got lost in thought.

    Chris, I miss the good music!! Start a radio station that I can turn on and just superglue the knob to the oldies...pleeeeeeaaasssseeee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Step #1: Next time I see you comment on Al/Ken's FB, I'll shoot you a friend request (Laurie E/Chris M). Step #2: Do you do spotify? If so, once you and I are friends, you can look up my playlists. Most of my oldies are on the "Scrappy" list.

      Delete
  2. Chris:
    ---I remember MOORE'S LAW, and I'm surprised it's backed off from the initial prediction.
    I will counter with BOB'S LAW, which says whatever you bought (computer-wise) THIS week will be obsolete by NEXT WEEK...LOL.
    ---LOVE the banter w/ the NEW Beatles...actually, I think that was a good grouping, but maybe an EARLIER Rundgren might have worked.
    ---Criminal Hygiene...odd name, but A pretty good song.
    ---I believe you got those psychedelic songs (many from my era) down pat.
    My fave in that bunch has to be Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower.
    ---The Dig - Liked the song, but the video was kinda on the bland side (imho).
    ---Never knew that Sammy's trademark song was EVER a "B" side. How 'bout that.
    ---Cliff Richard - he could do NO wrong in the UK, that's for sure.
    ---Nice to see Lily & Madeline at the top.
    --_And YES, I DID pick Herman's Hermits (never liked "The Freddie" anyway). The group looks like a party band for KINGSMEN - The Secret Service...HA!

    Excellent ride this week.

    Keep those hits comin' up there, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the Dig's video was just audio.... hmmm.... might have to backtrack...

      It used to be when I hit an old UK CR hit, they were just so-so, but I really liked these last two.


      Laurie decided to "split the difference" position wise and took Petula.

      Delete