What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Saturday, August 17, 2019

Memorial



I spent a half-hour looking for this photo, and now I don't know what to say.  Bobby G, my fellow pillar of Fort Wayne blogging, my fellow Time Lord, my brother across the keyboards, went to be with the Lord and Scrappy today.

I'm glad I got to see him yesterday.  I'm glad I got to make him laugh a couple more times.  What I am not glad about is that my conscious mind never let me see the signs that became so apparent this morning.  I'm not happy that I never got to tell him what his friendship has meant to me and Laurie.  And I'm damn unhappy that this summer has been a sandwich, with the deaths of my two best friends on either side and my boss in the middle.





Today was our company picnic, and I knew he wouldn't have wanted us to stay home and mope.  I looked out the front door before we left, and felt him saying, "No, you go on and have fun.  I'm okay now, I'm good.  Just keep an eye on Donna for me."


As we left, I hit the CD button, forgetting what I had in the player.  What it was, I realized as it started, Bob had said to God, "Play something for 'em that will let them know it's okay..."





Here it comes another lonely day
Playing the game, I'll sail away
On a voyage of no return to see
If eternal life is meant to be
And if I find the key to the eternal dream

The painted ladies of the Avalon
Play in the sun, take to the road
To the north, there lies the chills of cold
To the south, there lies the tales untold
But in-between, there lies the place to close your eyes

And I will stay, I'll not be back
Eldorado
I will be free, yeah, of the world
Eldorado

Say goodbye the city's heroes sing
Bird on the wing
Feel, feel so free
Tho' the life upon the rooftop haze
All the cheating and the broken days
So through it all, I see
There's nothing left for me

So I will stay, I'll not be back
Eldorado
I will be free, yeah, of the world
Eldorado

Sitting here on top of everywhere
What do I care?
Days never end
I know the voyage's end will soon be here
No eternal life is here for me
And now I found the key
To the eternal dream

Then I will stay, I'll not be back
Eldorado
I will be free, yeah, of the world
Eldorado
Then I will stay, I'll not be back
Eldorado



I will be leaving the blog silent this week in his honor, except for the scheduled Wednesday Bible Study.  To everyone else, see you a week from tomorrow, God willing.  To my two lost faraway best friends.... hope to see you soon.

9 comments:

  1. I have no words. Hugs my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post says more on one page than someone could write books about. Very tender and very moving. God's hands on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a terrible blow! I'm so sorry you are suffering these heartbreaking losses. 💔 I wish you strength to carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CW: After weeks of no posts on Bobby G's blog, I came here to find out what might have happened. So I ran down his obit and was disappointed that the PA-IN Erudition went unmentioned. The Obit read (with a birthdate error):

    ROBERT M. "BOB" GAUL, JR., 66, of Fort Wayne, passed away on Saturday, Aug. 17, 2019. He was born Aug. 22, 2019, in Philadelphia, Pa., the son of the late Robert Marshall and Kathryn (Cook) Gaul, Sr. He graduated in 1970 from Lincoln High School in Philadelphia, Pa. He was a jack of all trades working in repair and maintenance at a number of different businesses before retiring. In his free time he enjoyed gardening, being outdoors, spending time with his cats, airplanes and trains, science fiction, and comic books. Surviving are his wife of 22 years, Donna Gaul; special nephew, Erik McClain of Stephens City, Va.; and five fur babies. Besides his parents, he was also preceded in passing by his former spouse, Valerie Gaul. Funeral service is noon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His wife was wanting to say something on the blog itself but hasn't had much luck finding the passwords. I was a pall bearer (just 4 of us) and she did a fabulous eulogy. I have that picture of him and Scrappy over my keyboard.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, CWMartin for taking time to post this tribute to Bob G. There were a lot of us who wondered why his blog suddenly stopped and now we know.

    ReplyDelete