Pages

▼

Sunday, October 4, 2026

Odd foods by state

 


So a buddy on X posted a map that purported to be, "the oddest food eaten in each state":



Now a lot of these go without saying, so to speak: Texas's rattlesnake, Florida's gator tail, for example.  Some required me to look them up, and some of those results were... interesting...

Alaska's Akutaq: "(ah-goo-duck), is a traditional Alaska Native dish made by whipping animal fat or shortening with berries, snow or water, and sometimes fish or sugar".  Momma, can I have some akutaq?  No, child, we're out of Crisco.  Wait till tonight and we see if daddy brings home some blubber.

Arizona's scorpion lollipops: This is real candy with a real, 'crunchy', non-poisonous scorpion inside. Good Bob, just give me rattlesnake.

New Hampshire's Grape Nuts ice cream;  Just what it says, Grape Nuts cereal mixed into an ice cream/custard base.  The truly nutty thing is where it is popular- Maritime Canada, New England... ...and...

"...Panama, and as a beloved Caribbean favorite in Jamaica..."

North Carolina's Livermush: "a regional pork delicacy made from pig liver (at least 30% by state law), head parts, cornmeal, and spices like black pepper and sage".  Supposedly a lot like Pennsylvania's scrapple, but "with a smoother texture".  I thought of the head cheese my dad's family used to make- but apparently instead of binding it with the cornmeal, it uses "congealed gelatin from boiling skin and bones."  I don't know how they ate half that stuff.

West Virginia's fried squirrel:  Now this I've had many times.  Just like gamey chicken.  See also rabbit.

North Dakota's Lutefisk: When I saw this, I thought it was that fermented rotten-fishy thing they make in Scandinavia.  But I was wrong, sort of.  The fish (usually whitefish or cod) is aged about a week, then soaked in LYE- yep, that harsh soap stuff- which means that afterward it has to be soaked in water for another week or so.  Which leaves you a gooey, alkaline-tasting, foul smelling feast.  Have at it.

Colorado's rocky mountain oysters: Most of us learned what THESE are when we were kids and appreciated gross humor.  If you didn't, go look it up.

Maine's Tomalley: Just when I thought it was flatland hillbillies like my dad's clan that ate all the gross stuff, here comes Tomalley: "the soft, green, paste-like digestive organ (the hepatopancreas) found inside the body cavity of lobsters and crabs".

And now, we have a meal masquerading as a dessert, and a dessert masquerading as a meal:

Nebraska's Hot Beef sundae: Looks like a sundae, but has mashed potatoes for ice cream, roast beef and gravy for hot fudge, shredded cheddar for sprinkles, sour cream for whipped cream, and a cherry tomato for the cherry on top...

Idaho's Ice cream potato: Same principle in reverse.  Molded vanilla ice cream coated in cocoa powder for the potato, whipped cream for the sour cream, and various sprinkles and/or coconut for chives or cheese.


Mind you, I've not had my state's sauerkraut balls, but I would sooner try that than a LOT of these.

4 comments:

  1. Too funny! So true! the Alaska and Maine's weird foods are hard to think about without gagging. North Carolina is what my dad loved, head cheese. We ate mountain oysters, which is the food delicacy result of castrating pigs. We kids loved them until we realized what they were. Thanks for this list. I feel like an inter- national traveler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we lived through head cheese, cow's tongue, squirrel, snapping turtle, blood pudding, and oh yes dandilion greens.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know, but then again I was the one who pioneered filling a ho ho with cheese whiz, so...

      Delete