What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Three cheers for Sir Elton!


Those of you who know me personally will know that I have been less than kind in certain "entertaining" statements I've made over the last few years about Elton John. However, as I have joked in private, I shall apologize publicly. I was astounded, given the climate of celebrity culture, that he was a big enough man to be the featured entertainer at Rush Limbaugh's recent wedding. Then, on the heels of that mighty blow to my smart-assery, comes this tidbit via FoxNews:

Never one to back out of a performance to make a statement, music icon Elton John offered some choice words for his fellow musicians who choose to boycott Arizona over the SB 1070 immigration law.
According to the Arizona Daily Star, while performing at his sold-out concert at the Tucson Arena, he said:
"We are all very pleased to be playing in Arizona. I have read that some of the artists won't come here. They are f***wits! Let's face it: I still play in California, and as a gay man I have no legal rights whatsoever. So what's the (expletive) with these people?"
John is known for not giving into outside pressures when it comes to playing concerts in politically charged environments.
Last month, he ignored calls for a boycott of Israel, playing in Tel Aviv amid debates about an aid flotilla.
"Musicians spread love and peace, and bring people together. That's what we do," he said of artists like Elvis Costello and Santana, who canceled performances in Israel. "We don't cherry-pick our conscience."


Bravo, Sir Elton. I remember when the whole Costello thing came out, and decided against ranting because attention is all he wanted. It was cute when he was a nobody and played his guitar in the street in front of a record company's offices in order to get his first contract. But now that he's a typical brainwiped liberal pseudo-intellectual moralist who only accepted the gig in Tel Aviv so he could breach his contract in front of a group of adoring toady-reporters and look like Moses up on Sinai (sans God, though), he just looks like a spoiled worm. Thank you, Elton John, for putting the entertainment industry back into perspective.

In hindsight, I really shouldn't be so hard on Mr. Costello. After all, his "sudden attack of conscience" isn't any more fake than the "aid" in the "aid flotilla".

The picture? C'mon, how long did you think I could go...

No comments:

Post a Comment