What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankfulness

Okay, so we are all thankful.  For friends, for food, for a wonderful country.  But, you realize that to be thankful, you have to be thankful TO SOMEONE.  Other wise, you're just glad you have something.  Sentence requires subject (I/You), verb (am/are thankful), and object.  For me the Object is God.

Psalm 136 gives us a lot of good reasons to be thankful to God.  Vv 4-9 speak of the creation He has made.  10-22 give a rehash of what He did for Israel, true, but look deeper.  Dig and you will find His deliverance, His power, His ability to lead us through obstacles, His protection, His control despite the mighty of the world, the possessions He has given us.

Verse 23-6 reminds us of His remembrance of us in our lowliness; our rescue from our enemies; and the requirements of life.  But the main reason to be thankful is in every other line of this Psalm:

"For His mercy endures forever."  What is mercy?  The definition is "unmerited favor".  Mercy is getting up each morning to a new day of possibilities. It is the breakfast we start the day with, the job that pays our bills, the roof over our heads.  It is the friend who sends a greeting card, or calls to wish us a happy day.  It is the dog who takes me for a walk, and the friend who is there when we get home.  It is the children who call me "dad", the doctor who calls me "patient", the governor who calls me "constituent."  And it is the Savior who calls me "child".

And lest I forget, it is all of you reading this.  I have made friends here that I am very appreciative of. For those I contacted yesterday, to those I didn't or couldn't get ahold of, Happy Thanksgiving.  I (subject) am thankful (verb) to God (object) for you (you prepositional phrase, you!)

4 comments:

  1. CWM:
    Better (and truer) words could not be spoken...

    Thank you!
    And God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for your lovely email. I hope you and your family have a special Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CWM:
    BTW, I heard this week that American Pie was written NOT on some napkin in upstate NY, but in PHILLY...and first performed at Temple University...(who knew?)

    Score one for my hometown (before it wanted to become like Detroit).

    Stay safe up there

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheesh, Bob, are things THAT bad there?

    ReplyDelete