What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, January 20, 2012

The Time Machine beauty contest!

Pre-post update:  Cashbox has a "holder page" up as of checking things at 10:10 PM, but is not yet up.  Therefore our regularly scheduled program is pre-empted by:



I’m doing this Wednesday night in case of Cashbox still being down Friday.  If I find it’s back up by then, I’ll fit this in at another point.  My bright idea was, How about I take all the women that hit #1 on the 20th of January, and have a beauty contest?  So I pirated  found the most flattering pics (to me) of each contestant, and grouped them into, well, groups.

Group #1 is, of course, groups.  Seeings as a) I didn’t want to split them up, and b)Beyonce’s in one of the groups, I decided I’ll do them on their own.
  Here are the contestants:
imagesCA942WBY
The Boswell Sisters, who hit #1 in 1935 with The Object Of My Affection;
imagesCA5345MB
The Andrews Sisters, who made it in 1938 with Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen and in 1950 with I Can Dream, Can’t I;
imagesCAOO5SYA
Dawn (skip the ugly one in the middle) who topped the chart in 1971 with Knock Three Times;
imagesCAE0RRRL
and Destiny’s Child, who were at #1 in 2001 with Independent Women.
In all fairness, Beyonce getting two shots isn’t fair, and Telma Hopkins isn’t really my cup o’ tea, so I’ll take Patty, Maxine, and Laverne.  Besides, I Can Dream, Can’t I is basically the theme song to this post.

Now, the rest of our lovely ladies I’m dividing up into three classes.  The first group I’m calling, “nice pipes, but this is a beauty contest”:
imagesCAJ2INQX
Patti Page, who topped the pops in 1951 with The Tennessee Waltz;
imagesCAJDQO7E
The magnificent Kate Smith who topped the chart in 1932 with River, Stay ‘Way From My Door (with Guy Lombardo’s orchestra);
imagesCAMN63CF
Singer and comedienne Ada Jones, who topped the charts in 1913 with Row! Row! Row!;
imagesCAUC6DMN
Ke$ha, who led the league two years ago with Tik Tok;
imagesCAUUUMZY
Evelyn Knight, at #1 in 1949 with A Little Bird Told Me;
imagesCAWQJEE4
Lady Gaga, at #1 in 2009 with Just Dance;
imagesCAZZUO09
and Diana Ross who had the Theme From Mahogany at #1 in 1976.

Our second category is the beauty pageant’s version of Almost But Not Quite:
imagesCAA4RBSN
Dionne Warwick, who joined her friends in 1986 with That’s What Friends Are For;
imagesCADN17D1
Madonna, who was Like A Virgin back in 1985;
imagesCAH5SDJ8
Whitney Houston, who really sunk her chances with me with I Will Always Love You in 1993;
imagesCAN2GC1T
Toni Braxton, who was #1 in 1997 with Un-break My Heart;
imagesCASTL5HR
and Christina Aguilera, who was on top in 2000 with What A Girl Wants.

That brings us to the final eight:
imagesCA98D311
Rhianna, on top currently with We Found Love;
imagesCAV6XKOC
Beyonce, who topped this week in 2007 with Irreplaceable;
imagesCALXI66X
Mariah Carey, who was #1 in 1996 with One Sweet Day;
imagesCANINP7R
Carly Simon, at #1 in 1973 with You’re So Vain;
imagesCAW8SNWA
Brandy, the top of 1999 with Have You Ever;
imagesCAOXPLFY
Petula Clark, the #1 song in 1965 with Downtown;
untitled
Here’s one outta left field- Joan Webber, who hit the top in 1955 with Let Me Go, Lover;
imagesCANJKGUS
And the late, great, Karen Carpenter, who was at #1 with her brother in 1975 with Please Mr. Postman.

Anyone wants to pitch in their votes, go right ahead.  For me, the eyes have it- and that means the first annual (Hey, who said I’m doing this again!!??!) Time Machine Beauty contest goes to-

Brandy!

That’s all from the spacious Martin Theatre for this one, kids.  I’m gonna go cue up the Andrews Sisters.

3 comments:

  1. A lot of very beautiful women and talented singers

    ReplyDelete
  2. CWM:
    What?
    No Nancy Sinatra?
    (for shame on you...lol)

    Kate Smith was a favorite of mine when I was a toddler.
    Mom told me I always woke up from my nap in time for her show on TV...and I don't even remember that.
    But you have to believe "Mom"...

    And Kate did all right by the FLYERS in heoping them with their 2 back-to-back Stanley Cups in the mid-70s...whatta time THAT was.

    (Man, could she sing)

    Remember, those BOOTS are not only made for walking...they can be made for "kickin" when you don't include certain other singers in the pageant...LOL.
    (oh, and what about Julie London?)

    I'm just messin' with 'ya.
    Stay safe up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my fault Nancy wasn't at #1 in the second week of January. Guess they weren't snow boots.

    ReplyDelete