What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Obama’s ruling on Catholics and abortion

I am sure that those of you who care have heard know the story about how, if the Obama administration has its way, that any Catholic hospital will have to either serve those who seek abortions, contraceptives, etc, or they will have to become an exclusively religious institution to get an exemption.  That means that non-Catholic employees will have to be fired and non-Catholic patients be turned away.  Obama thinks this is “a balanced way” to deal with all concerned.  Most Catholics consider this- and all Christians should consider this- a devil’s choice by which the Government is basically giving them a choice between becoming “pro-choice” or closing.  If you don’t think this means closing, just wait until the first non-Catholic staffer gets fired.  This devil’s deal is no choice and Obama knows it.  Our good friend Pat Miller read the Bishop’s fiery letter that went out to all the parishes, saying that the Church “can not and will not” comply.  He wants to start a letter to your congressman campaign.

I’m not going to write, and here’s why.

Did you know that Catholics have voted Democrat in every presidential election since Ike except for three?  Roe v. Wade started this all in 1973.  In 1976 you had Rep. Gerald Ford, always the moderator, who wanted to boot the decision to the states, against Jimmy Carter, who supported the ruling DESPITE his own convictions against it.  (Aren’t convictions something you stick to, Jimmy?)  Result- Catholics went Carter 57%-41%.

Carter against Reagan, a staunch pro-life man- 47-46 for Reagan.  Not surprisingly, Catholics voted for Reagan against forlorn, hard core pro-choicer  Walter Mondale as well, 61-39.

George H.W. Bush, also a staunch pro- lifer, against partial-birth aborter Michael Dukakis?  Dukakis 51-49.  Then it was Bush against Bill Clinton, who while against PBAs, was solidly pro-choice, claiming that in HIS Bible life begins at BIRTH, not in the womb.  (Ah, Bill?  Psalms 139-
Psa 139:13  For You have possessed my inward parts; You have covered me in my mother's womb.
Psa 139:14  I will praise You; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are marvelous and my soul knows it very well.
Psa 139:15  My bones were not hidden from You when I was made in secret and skillfully formed in the lowest parts of the earth.
Psa 139:16  Your eyes saw my embryo; and in Your book all my members were written, the days they were formed, and not one was among them.

Catholics apparently mislaid their copy of Psalms as well; Clinton topped Bush amongst Catholics 47-35.  Taking the cue from all these good voting Catholics, Bob Dole watered down his abortion stance against Clinton; Catholics went for Clinton 55-35.

That brings us to Gore v. Bush II.  Gore was against PBAs, but his stance in general shifted from largely pro-choice when just running in his conservative Tennessee district to pro-choice when faced with a national audience.  GW Bush was as strong against abortion as Reagan had been.  Catholics went for Gore 52-46.  Then he faced John Kerry, who was a pro-choicer with no reservations; Kerry took the Catholic vote 52-48.

Which brings us to the current master of mismanagement, Barack Obama.  He is a decided pro-choicer and PBA supporter.  He faced John McCain who, while not the warrior on the subject that Reagan and the Bushes were, certainly had more spine on the subject than Dole did.  Catholics went Obama 53-47.  (All numbers by Gallup.)

Despite the fact that Democrats almost uniformly support pro-choice (Despite any personal “convictions”), Catholics have voted with the more pro-choice candidate every election since Roe V. Wade except for the two Reagan elections- and they pretty much split the vote the first of those.  Put it another way- of the only 3 times that Catholics have not voted for the Democrat since Eisenhower, two of them were landslides anyway- Reagan’s second term and Nixon’s second term (when they chose him over George McGovern 52-48).

As you know, I was born Catholic.  When I got my first registration card, I proudly told my dad I registered independent.  He said, “We’re Democrats.”  I said, “You might be a Democrat; I’ll make up my own mind.”  A pity more Catholics didn’t make up their own minds last election.  Or the ones before.  This is reason #1 of two why I won’t be writing my congressman.  The voting Catholics have been digging their own grave for a long time.  Hey, guess what, this is the guy YOU voted for what’s taking away your rights.  And you were TOLD it would happen.  Still want to vote Democrat just because your daddy did?  Maybe you should write your state rep- oh, right, he’s probably boycotting the legislature right now because a lot of non-Catholics made up their own minds.

Oh, my second reason?  Look at the numbers.  Do you think, when Obama sees them, he won’t crap down his leg getting HHS’ ruling changed?  Please.  I doubt there’s anything to worry about.

1 comment:

  1. Makes my head spin. Do people ever think? Makes want to bang my head on the wall. Hmmm. Probably won't help the spinning head.

    ReplyDelete