What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Martin humbled!

(Bet you never thought you'd hear that one here!)

Every once in a while, this blog accomplishes something totally unintended, as I found out yet again tonight when I got home.  August 4th of last year I did a post about Marty Brenaman's birthday shave.  To make this short, Reds' broadcaster Marty Brenaman made a bet with some of the players that involved him getting his head shaved.  As the team was going to have a big to-do about his birthday anyway, he combined it with raising awareness and money for the Dragonfly Foundation, which works with child and young adult victims of cancer.   It was a wonderful, teary-eyed affair that I explained in more detail on the post (so hit the link), and you can actually watch video of it on the foundation website (so hit the other link!)

So what brings this up was what I got in the e-mail tonight.  This is in the comments back on the original post, but I'm going to put it up here:

This is belated, but thank you for including information about The Dragonfly Foundation in your blog post. Even though I was there, holding the fourth Dragonfly child in my arms, watching the even unfold from less than 20 ft. away... It still seems like a dream. To watch those kids, who had never met him, had no coaching whatsoever, run, hug and clutch Marty's pants was unbelievable. We are so grateful to Marty for helping raise awareness about The Dragonfly Foundation and the need to care while we wait for a cure.

Best wishes to you and yours for a happy, healthy and prosperous 2013!

Ria Davidson
VP & Co-Founder, The Dragonfly Foundation


Needless to say, I was stunned- and humbled.  The thought, the memory of those little kids, came close to bringing tears back again.  But I will re-post the part that really got to me:

Marty took off his jersey to reveal a t-shirt that read, "I'm still me," and brought out three little kids with similar shirts. They were cancer patients, being helped through an organization called the Dragonfly Foundation. Marty explained that when the kids had heard about the head shaving, one of them had said, "Now Marty will look like us." Marty was so moved when he heard, he brought them out and talked about the great work the Foundation does for them. Then he gave them a group hug and told them, "I'm PROUD to be in your club!"
And I am proud to get a letter like this from a post 5 months ago.   If you'd like to learn more about the foundation- hey, hit the second link already!  Especially take a look at why they were founded, and why a dragonfly.  And God bless Ria and her whole crew.

1 comment:

  1. CWM:
    That's a very touching account, and I often think that God intervenes in order to show us that humility isn't that bad...
    (and something we need to be reminded about when we touch the souls of others in ways we didn't even imagine)

    I'm very proud of 'ya, Kiddo!
    And God bless all of those that appreciated your post and comments.

    Stay safe up there.

    ReplyDelete