What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Monday, August 14, 2017

Vacation aftermath: Out like a lamb...

So the rain that wasn't on Friday kept us from doing a lot at the end of things (though we had a pretty fun Thursday night in anticipation of the washed-out wash-out).  Still, we did have some notable stuff to fill you in on.

So Thursday afternoon, Laurie brought up the possibility of rain Friday just as I was looking into what we might do for a road trip that day.  So I decided another go at Mitchell's would be an appropriate diversion, and while we didn't meet another orange-peel-clad patron, Laurie did enjoy thumping me 3-1 in pool and everyone enjoyed the last of my glasses of beer.  That is, we enjoyed the bartendress dropping my empty final glass and her buddy claiming she spiked it.  The football reference was due to the Bears playing preseason football on the big screen.  Their opening drive interception prompted the on-air analyst to say, "The Bears weren't expecting THAT to happen on their first drive..."



Friday brought a morning walk in the "pouring rain".  As we went down the canal trail, just after a man with another doggie way ahead of us passed, a deer sprung from the canal and into the soccer pitches...




I recognized her from earlier because she had a lame front leg.  She was still pretty graceful until she thought about it...




And no sooner had I put the camera away than her partner erupted from the same spot...






At a guess, I thought they had been sleeping in the canal...




...but that being approximately where they came from, I bet they were actually just passing through.


After that, another of our famous backyard picnics...






Saturday we had the annual Fantasy Football draft.  Which amounts to a 15-week-long guess on who can pick the most players who are alive at the end.  After that, I decided to spend a little time trimming the front bushes...



From this pic here, you can kinda see that the bushes were somewhat similar to Albert Einstein and his kids.  Now it is my understanding that the apartment complex and their quality crew of cheap Mexican labor are responsible for maintaining this, but they don't.  And so we set out with our only weapons- a pair of scissors and a pair of tin snips- and to work we went.



And the after pic, with enough of the neighboring bush to get a before-after sense.


And Sunday, in between battling agendized idiots on Twitter for far longer than it was really worth, me and Scrappy stumbled onto a crime scene...




Apparently they found a body on the boat ramp by the PFW footbridge about an hour and a half before our arrival.  I messaged the FWPD that around sunset, there were two vehicles where they were putting down their little evidence markers, and a dozen or so people seemingly enjoying the river view from lawn chairs about 20 yds or less from the bridge.  I also mentioned that in my late night walks I had often noticed young Latinos meeting there of late, and I kinda wonder if this wasn't a drug deal gone bad.  It is a dead end, and one can never tell if a car parked there is someone fishing somewhere, or hitting a lunchtime joint, or whatever.


Laurie's vacation was up Sunday morning; mine's up tomorrow.  Way too short, as always, and I wonder if I'll be any better prepared to face life for the effort.  But, like she said, we had a pretty good time, accomplished most of what we planned to do, and didn't have to enter the rectum of Toledo or get an emergency rent-a-car to do it.  Here's hoping I'll be able to reclaim my optimism about humanity in the next 12 hours (my time, as it is Sunday night as I type).  But with a world that wants to know nothing but arguing and killing, I have my doubts anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Chris:
    ---Truth be told, I think I enjoyed your vacation almost as much as YOU did.
    (I like to live vicariously these days...lol)
    ---The deer pics are very nice.
    ---And those backyard picnics are often the BEST.
    ---Laurie beat you 3-1 at pool?
    (don't blame me for touting her ability when you visited last week...not taking fault there...heh).
    ---A CRIME scene? In a city where we're told that crime was going down?
    Say it ain't so!
    Actually, your call about cars there is most likely correct.
    The police often forget that the BEST eyes and ears in an area are those that belong to the RESIDENTS.
    (they might want to make a note of that one).
    ---Enjoy the autumn of your vacation and yes, our world is getting more flarcked up every week.
    But, we're NOT any part of the cause...we're just the CURE, right?

    Good post.

    Stay safe (and always hopeful) up there, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weird part of me thinks it would be cool to come home and to see crime scene around a neighbours house

    ReplyDelete