What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

The Lonely Onion?



I wasn't going to post tonight, but I had to share this one.  I was news-perusing on BBC and hit an article about the city above- Canberra, Australia.  The article was about the fun various wags are having with the announcement that respected travel site Lonely Planet had named Canberra the third best city to visit in the whole world.  Comments generally ran along the lines of this tweeted response:

I agree with Lonely Planet. Canberra is an incredible place to visit. Nowhere else do you get the joy of finally leaving Canberra.


or this headline:

"It's more than just politicians and roundabouts," said the Special Broadcasting Service.


Others rallied to the city's defense, and I was just about to ask my own Australian friends where they fell in on the issue... and then I hit the bottom of the article, and saw this....


The city was named third behind Seville in Spain and .....


Are you ready?




Wait for it....



...Detroit in the US.






...and at this point, Chris says to himself, "Boy, either BBC got BBPranked, or Lonely Planet has become a satire site.

From USAToday's article on the story:

In September, FBI statistics showed Detroit was No. 1 as the most violent big city in America, and earlier this month an online financial news group, 24/7 Wall St., ranked Detroit as the No. 1 worst American city to live in.


Worth noting that #8 on the list was San Juan, Puerto Rico.  One hopes that the article was written before the hurricane, or I'd be asking if this was the "most in need of urban renewal" list.

2 comments:

  1. Wait, are you saying I need to cancel my vacation plans to Detroit for Christmas? I thought they had a great light show? Must have been from all those muzzle shots.

    Have a beachy week!
    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris:
    ---Funny that you bring this up.
    I ALMOST did a segment about Detroit being the "best place to visit"...I did say almost, because that only REALLY counts with horseshoes and hand grenades.
    ---The story I read was truly a "WTF???" moment this week!
    ---For the life of me, I can only conclude that the reason people DO visit the Motor City is NOT to see Ted Nugent (he's down near Jackson, anyway) but to be "entertained - another way of satisfying their innate curiosity.
    It would take a HUGE LOAD of cashola to get me to visit there.
    ---And to think it USED to be the 5th LARGEST (and much safer and better) city in America.
    So much for "progress", hmm?

    Good post.

    Stay safe (and Detroit-free) up there, brother.

    ReplyDelete