What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, January 4, 2019

The M10- and Beauty Contest VIII



As I type, it's New Years Eve- and not likely I'm going to get in any other trouble, so tonight I'll be hosting your 2019 Beauty Contest- as well as the M10 for this week!  For any newbies, this is the 8th annual Beauty Contest here on Time Machine.  The first was caused by a three-week disappearance of the online Cashbox chart, and having nothing better to do, I found a list of all chart #1s by the ladies, and picked a winner from amongst them- which happened to be Brandy.  In 2013, I changed the rules- a contestant had to have a picture on that year's Time Machine, and Scrappy picked the winner after I winnowed a large preliminary list down to a semi-final list of five or six.  And Scrappy has picked the following ladies:

2013- Patty Boyd
2014- Tina Louise
2015- Linda Ronstadt
2016- Natalie Imbruglia
2017- Jane Birkin
and last year, Justine Brown from M10 act Easy Love.

This year, we registered 92 official contestants- from my Mom to Ma Rainey, from the two ladies of Dawn to Stevie Vann of Night!  I selected a a top sixteen, and then chopped that list down to five.  First, we have the ladies who lost out, starting with:


Winner, best song of 2018, Mikaela Davis...

Fellow Iron Ceiling act, Sunflower Bean's Julia Cumming...

Movie legend Ann-Margaret...

The gone-too-soon Tami Terrell...

Reaching into obscurity, the Hubbells' Mary Ann Frizzel...

And Connie Francis...


Yep, I know I have five more "also receiving votes", but first, I have one of two M10 Debuts!  This was the choice I was trying to make as I started typing, and either way, I was going to give someone a second hit on the 10!  And the winner of that contest is... Charles Bradley...





Charles second hit off Black Velvet comes in at #10, while Slip Away slips away from a peak of 4 to #7 this week.


And the rest of the best of the rest (?)....


Star Kendrick of Geowulf...

Debbie Reynolds...

The hula-hooping Anna Burch (who just missed getting two songs on the ten this week...)

Florence Ballard of the Supremes...

and Mary Travers!


And now, whilst you breathlessly await to see the five that beat these lovely women, here's our second debut at #9... from the Parlor Mob...





Like Springsteen and his boys, Parlor Mob is a four guy (yes, that is a helluva convincing falsetto) outfit from Asbury Park, NJ.

And now, time for the final five...


2017 winner Jane Birkin...
From the Starland Vocal Band, Taffy Nivert...

Dorothy Martin of her band Dorothy...

Mary Wilson of the Supremes...

And Blackberry Smoke guest violinist Amanda Shires!


Hmmm... you'd think I like long hair or something!  Anyway, here's the remaining M10 for this week...


At 8, a one notch move upwards for Papa Roach and Not The Only One.

6 goes to the Justed sisters and Tangerine with the Christmas(y) song This Time Last Year, also up one spot.

Next a pair of songs that dropped last week move back up a spot- Sade's former top dog The Big Unknown at 5, and The Beths with Future Me Hates Me, another former #1, at 4 this week.

And that brings me to another hard choice for the top three this week.  Anna Burch drops from the top to #3 with 2 Cool 2 Care...


...holding at #2, the Decemberists and Travelling On...

....which means, after five attempts, Castlecomer takes their first #1 with She's So High !!!!!!!!!!


And now- the moment is here!

We have the doggie... we have the treats...

We have the ballots....


...but we missed the pick, because Scrappy was like a flash to the winner- so fast, in fact, I wondered in my mind whether I should try again!  But Scrappy literally put his foot down- he was on the third treat when he read my mind and WENT BACK AND STEPPED ON THE FIRST BALLOT- and then sniffed it for more!  Thus, it is with great pleasure I give you the winner of 2019's Time Machine Beauty Contest...  and bonus, recorded live right here in Fort Wayne...






Dorothy Martin wins it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And there you go!  Next week we'll be back to what passes for normal- God willing- with 1972, and Melanie!

14 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris!

    Happy new year, good buddy! It's me, Shady's Comet, passing through your part of the galaxy once again.

    Assuming it is not too late to add a contestant to your Beauty Contest, submitted for your (and Scrappy's) approval - Miss Ruth Buzzi of Laugh-In fame, in her classic role as Gladys Ormphby:

    http://www.post-journal.com/life/arts-entertainment/2017/03/at-age-80-ruth-buzzi-settles-down-in-texas/

    Got a Luv Jones for Gladys?

    That brief moment of levity allows me to segue into Charles Bradley's song. It cooks, Chris... It's funkier than a mosquito's tweeter and I like it! I see that he was from nearby (to me) Gainesville and that he unfortunately passed away a little more than a year ago. I'm surprised I never heard of him. I see that the name of the album, Black Velvet, came from the stage name Bradley used when he was a James Brown impersonator in clubs. Bradley succeeded in bringing back the sound and feel of funk and soul of the 60s and 70s.

    You got me again with Parlor Mob, the alt rock band from Asbury Park. "4th Of July" induces a dreamlike trance, at least it did that to me. It does indeed sound like a female lead vocal, had me fooled.

    I don't know if you remember, but I presented the Dorothy band on my old blog back in 2016. You left a comment on that post:

    https://shadydell.blogspot.com/2016/10/freakin-awesome-these-rock-sirens.html#comment-form

    Hey, it's great to see my old buddy Scrappy again. Leave it to Scrappy to always pick a wiener.

    (BA-DUM-BUMP)

    ... and Dorothy it is! Wow, I totally agree with that choice. Dorothy Martin is the Grace Slick of the 21st century only better looking and with a more soulful and more powerful voice. She rocks and so does her band! Thanks for posting that live performance recorded in your neck of the woods.

    This was fun, Chris. Thanks a lot for inviting me. I wish you, Laurie and Scrappy a safe and happy 2019, good buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, Shade, I didn't remember- you'd think the two headed chick would have brought it back- but my comment was pretty much my experience going through their lp 28 Days In The Valley. My son had heard one of her songs which he loved and I thought was okay, so I leafed through it and found their rocking version of Ain't Our Time To Die, which peaked at #2 last summer on my M10. I'll have to revisit those songs later on...

      NO Luv Jones for Gladys. Charles, though, I brought up most of your info the week- and the week after- I debuted his other hit on this week's chart, Slip Away. You might want to check out the Jose Feliciano-like original of that song by the luckless singer (outside of South Africa) Rodriguez. His story was even more amazing!

      Charles first hit the M10 (back when he was still alive) with Changes. He and Leon Bridges know how to do soul right!


      Here's a funny note: Your comment went to my spam file- I can only guess it was b/c of the links), but could not hide from me! (Not the Blogger spam file, but the e-mail notification spam), Also- and this has always been the case, I guess it IS a Blogger thing- the links work off the e-mail but not the post! Considering the day I've had, though, I'm just glad they didn't explode when I clicked them...

      Anyway, thanks for stopping in, always a pleasure. My thoughts and prayers will be with you this year too, as always.

      Delete
  2. Most of those listed I didn't know.! But, the Supremes and their soloists I remember well! They were part of my teen years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, did you mean the contestants or the songs? I guess it wouldn't matter, because the response is the same- the M10 has only one rule- that I never heard it before. Obscure doesn't matter, what year the song doesn't matter. And some cases (looking here at Jane Birkin) beauty transcends any song.

      Delete
  3. What to say, damn I have a headache maybe it's because of how hot it is yet again. These women and more beautiful then I am just saying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, Jo-Anne, there's makeup beauty and inner beauty...

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, Chris! Interesting post, as always. I'm very familiar with Jane Birkin and her 1969 hit with Serge Gainsbourg, "Je T'aime". It was banned for being too racy in many places, but we used an instrumental version for the first song at our wedding reception in 1973. ☺ Nice to see someone other than Diana Ross mentioned from The Supremes. Your winner, Dorothy Martin, and her band is killer! Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've been around the ol' machine for a few months, you know Diana and I have had an ongoing feud about being paid to do the Panel job (insert appropriate nods and winks). When I first read your comment, I didn't catch "instrumental" and marvelled at what kinda reception that must have been, lol! Glad you liked!

      Delete
  5. Didn't Melanie have a brand new pair of roller skates?
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but with Lifelock, she doesn't need the key anymore, so her dating life has taken a crap.

      Delete
  6. Chris:
    ---I just had to savor the wait, so here I finally am. Let's have at it.
    ---A couple of my personal faves didn't make the cut (sighs)...oh well...maybe this year?
    ---Charles Bradley - (imho) not AS good as the previous song you featured, but not bad.
    ---I thought Anna would make it, BECAUSE of her hula hoop...lol (and she's fairly easy on the eyes).
    ---Parlor Mob...not a keeper for me...sorry.
    ---Dorothy and Amanda,,,very nice.
    ---Congrats to Catlecomer for FINALLY making it to the top of the M10 !!!
    ---Scrappy likes long hair...LOL./
    Dorothy was a VERY good pick (if he didn't choose Amanda).

    Quite well done all.
    And now begins the hunt for NEXT year's lovelies...(wonder if we'll have more than 92...that's a pretty high bar that's been set.)

    Keep those hits (and beauties) comin' up there, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Personal faves" as in the gals in the "also receiving votes" section? You should let us in on YOUR top five! If nothing else, I could have Scrappy pick you a winner, too!

      Sorry you didn't like Parlor Mob. The video sure wasn't anything to look at...

      Luv Jones, is a lot like 70's funk- which you are prolly done with in your neighborhood, but I still dig it.


      Delete
  7. Great job, Scrappy! Not only did he get the treats, he showed you how smart he truly is.

    Ah yes, Papa Roach. Been while since I listened to them.

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and if you read the next two posts, you'll see he's got these ladies buttering him up for next year already...

      Delete