What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Monday, October 1, 2018

I'll keep it brief, I'll keep it light

Okay, so one thing I promised myself I'd do today is post the thing I forgot to put on the note-mess that was last week's Time Machine- and that was the Label Game for 1960!  So far, we've had MGM and ABC-Paramount win in 1958 and 1959.  So who took it for 1960?




Warner Brothers!  They only had 6 to RCAs nine, but had them much more bunched at the top, with five of the six in the year's top 40- and even with tacking on #100, they ended with an average position of 39.5- edging MGM by less than 2 spots, though they killed RCA, who had 5 of their nine outside the top fifty of the year.

The songs that Warner won it with:

Cathy's Clown (#2), So Sad (#36), and its b-side Lucille (#100), and When Will I Be Loved (#40) by the Everly Brothers; Connie Francis's Sixteen Reasons (#28), and Bob Luman's Let's Think About Living (#33).

Hopefully, I'll remember to tuck 1961 into next week's show.





****************************************

And a perfect example is the fact that I just told Laurie this next story moments ago.  Lately, Scrappy's only good for a (sorta) long walk about once every two weeks, so when I actually need some exercise, I have to go it alone, which I did last night after half the NASCAR playoff cars finished coagulating in one spot...


That "Alliant" would be the guy I bet against every week with a co-worker, Brad Keselowski.  He's just run into the wall right after a 9-laps-to-go restart.  Two other drivers did me the tremendous favor of pinning him there like a big Polish butterfly.  If you look at bottom right and squint you can see that my guy was in 1st.  Yeah, that didn't work out either.


And I took our once-normal route through the woods.  I was going to cut through at one point, but just ahead of me...




They were just as calm as could be, let me take my pictures, and watched me go as I meandered around the long way.  Next, I decided to go down the ravine trail....







I saw these two... possibly the same two.  Certainly acted the same.  One of them leisurely sauntered down the side of the ravine, the other was content to watch as I again backed out and took the long way to the river.  I came through the trail to the river area (near that landing where I "witnessed a murder" last year), and what did I see?





Yep, there they were AGAIN!  This time, just as I took the snap, a dude fishing on the landing just HAD to cast out and scared the one away... the other, she stood maybe 50 ft away, watching and munching once again.  After that, I think they gave up their "close surveillance" of me.  I wonder what kind of lies THEY'LL tell the Committee about me....

4 comments:

  1. Chris:
    ---The Everly's had a golden touch w/ WB.
    ---I would LIKE to watch NASCAR< but ALL my drivers retired, so what's the point?
    ---That walkabout and the pictures you took told me ONE thing:
    YOU"RE BEING STALKED BY DEER!!!
    (Maybe they like Babybels)

    Very good post.

    Stay safe (and be wary of deer looking in your windows at night) up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That babybels line gave me my best laugh of the night last night...

      Delete
  2. Seeing a deer up close and in my space would scare me but I scare easy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were the tamest deer I've seen in a long time. I think they are the late summer fawns I kept running into, so they don't mind me.

      Delete