What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Politics blows

Once upon a time, I loved debating politics.  Like, when I was a kid and Richard Lugar and Birch Bayh were running against each other, and I was 'debating' a friend who countered my "Richard Loser" with "Bitch Bayh"... when it was fun to see which of the seven million seeming candidates would win the next primary (Seven million might be high, but in 1976, there were 15 Dems against Reagan and Ford). 6 of them won primaries... 4 of them, including the winner, Mr Carter, are still alive.

I had this Newsweek cover on my bedroom wall...
  Now, it's all about hate.  Donald Trump is the biggest monster the world has ever seen...  Nancy Pelosi is drunk all the time... he's a traitor, she's a traitor, you're a traitor.  It hasn't been like this since... well, since 1856, when " Representative Preston Brooks, a pro-slavery Democrat from South Carolina, used a walking cane to attack Senator Charles Sumner, an abolitionist Republican from Massachusetts, in retaliation for a speech given by Sumner two days earlier in which he fiercely criticized slaveholders, including a relative of Brooks. " Thanks, wiki, for helping the lazy.  And everytime I feel like speaking MY mind, I either think of Proverbs 26:4-5...

Pro 26:4  Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself. 
Pro 26:5  Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes. 


...or I end up wishing I had.

So I try to spend my time just praying for their souls, praying for God to raise up some good men, praying that someone might look in the fricking mirror and really see themselves before all there is is hate.  And praying for myself, because I would really love to call some of these spades, spades.


The bad thing is, I can't disagree with anyone without being a monster.  If I dislike Obama, the Congressional Black Caucus, or Lou Grant, I'm a bigot.  If I choose to believe that Israel in Palestine is the fulfillment of Ezekiel 37, I'm an anti-Semite.  If I think Greta Thuneburg ought to be given a chance to figure things out on her own, I'm a science-denier.  And if I say I think our President has done a great job on delivering what he promised, I'm either a Nazi Fascist or a blind worshipper of the man.

Once upon a time, I could do a caricature of Obama with exaggerated big ears because he has big ears and it's what you do in a caricature.  Now if I do that, I am saying that all African Americans are monkeys.  God help me if I walk away giving the ok sign...





Hell, I only got Misty "because white people miss having slaves".

I would love to debate the pros and cons of the latest budget, explain why I support a border wall, ask someone just what it was that the President did that left poor Dorothy from South Carolina without proper medical care.

No one can do that.  At least, not many.  And one friend I have that can, got me annoyed the other day because he still calls out Republicans on crap mainly because it's useless to call out Democrats on anything anymore.  And I shouldn't have gotten annoyed, because he's right.  Proverbs 26:4 tells me that.


I was thinking today about one of my earliest posts, in which I told the story of a liberal I was acquainted with that said that the government was to give the minority not protection, but POWER.  Being an LGBTQ SJW, I can see why he would have HOPED that was right, but it isn't.  But I shouldn't have expected him to; despite being someone who clearly thought himself more intellectual than myself, he couldn't even set his self-protecting atheism aside long enough to answer the question: "Suppose for a minute, the Bible IS true.  Would not Satan, in order to attack people, use the very arguments you use?" (Reply,"This is pointless, God is no more real than the Easter Bunny, and I refuse to give even that much thought to it."  -not exact quote, BTW, but captures the essence.)

Point being, you cannot argue with those who will dismiss whatever they disagree with out of hand.  It's never a debate anymore.  You'll never see battles at the convention over each plank of the platform anymore, because the candidate is already selected long ago and the platform was set in concrete years back.  You'll never see Nelson Rockefeller hoisting up that disconnected phone receiver again, never hear of the deal making at the convention backrooms, never see Sarge Shriver's psychoanalysis notes on the convention floor.


The teams are all divided up.  Just another game of Red Rover left to play.  


by Dennis Brack

6 comments:

  1. Sad, oh so sad. No human can assume leadership, as God is our Leader. With politics on every channel, we will be watching NetFlix or recordings. Don't need to have trash building up on our tv.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so tired of being afraid to voice my own opinion for fear of retaliation from some of my own family members. It's gotten to the point that I bite my tongue and ignore the noise. I won't discuss religion, politics or party affiliations at all with them anymore. The only safe haven is sports. Although, with baseball season around the corner, and the "scandalous" AstrosCheatergate debacle, even that is growing tiresome. I truly hope and pray that we can go back to talking to each other instead of at each other, to speaking in normal tones, not yelling, to agree to disagree, to respect one another's differences and to come together for the good of all of us. We're all in this together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, I was hoping to avoid 'cheatergate' with you, lol! I think the problem there was more than the cheating it was an entitled front office that poisoned the whole organization. Hopefully your owner will consider that and start changing with his own attitude.

      Delete
  3. I miss when we could talk politics for more than fifteen minutes before it went straight to personal attacks. I can't even say who I voted for at work anymore because people are so shocked. It's so sad. I do love when I go home though. They love him on Long Island!

    Elsie
    (new domain)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sorta learn who you can talk to and who you can't. I had one from 'the other side of the fence' friend me on FB for I have no idea why. I just put her on 30-day snooze about once every month and a half and stay cool.

      Delete