What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Sunday, October 25, 2020

Sunday Message: What did I need, what do I need

 

Honest disagreement doesn't have to be a bad thing.  I had one yesterday that got me thinking on several issues.  Without touching on the actual issues, I'd like to share what I learned in meditating on the discussion.


First, I came into the thing with a preconceived notion- not necessarily a wrong one- of certain 'articles of faith', as I understood them, which totally validated my mindset.  As I worked my way through them, one by one, I began to see where my conceptions on them were strongly Bible based, BUT- but there was also Biblically based evidence to show that my concept wasn't necessarily the case.  For an example of this I turn to Revelation:


Rev 13:16  Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead,
Rev 13:17  so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name.

Which to my mind was the mark of damnation; if you take the mark, you are damned to hell.  Therefore, even the act of warning someone not to take the mark would be useless; no one would be getting it by accident or lack of knowledge.  But then, I remembered Jesus's words from Matthew 24:


Mat 24:23  Then if anyone says to you, 'Look, here is the Christ!' or 'There he is!' do not believe it.
Mat 24:24  For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.
Mat 24:25  See, I have told you beforehand.

Does this mean those who won't be damned might still be fooled into getting the mark?  I don't know, but it certainly put a hole into my monolithic concept.  And as I considered further, most of my rock-hard points had a place where you could logically put in an, "But, it's possible..."


The person I was debating with made a very valid point, one which shows my biggest, "inherited from my Dad" weakness:


I was told in an apologetics class that the biggest mistake of any preacher is to assume everyone thinks as you do, knows what you know, and that you know more than your congregation.

 

The other thing I debated on with myself was my assertion- which I still believe, at its core- is the opinion that it is better to save by teaching grace than with 'fire and brimstone' preaching- that you can lead someone to the glory of Heaven easier by teaching its virtues than scaring them with Hell and hoping they flee it in the right direction.  But my meditations took me to a very powerful question to myself- and I was surprised by the answer:

I was taught salvation by grace- but surrendered to Christ with fire and brimstone right in front of me.

I was educated in the soft, firm words of grace- but it was escape from the enemy that brought me to my knees.  That's when another thing my friend said hit home...


I appreciate you, but you are not in jeopardy. What about those “nice” people who are. 

 

NOW, I'm not in jeopardy. I don't need fire and brimstone so much.  Did I then?  I don't know, but I sure 'had it'.

6 comments:

  1. And here in lies the issue with many religions. It's up to interpretation. You acknowledge that your interpretation could be different, so many don't. Their word is law and surround themselves with those who only agree with them and can never see another point of view.

    And that's where the problems start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the thing though- NUANCES are open to interpretation, the commands of God and His Christ are not. You can't take something that is demonstrably not there and say, this is my interpretation. "On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers'" (Matthew 7:21-23).

      Delete
  2. You brought some interesting thoughts up, and my brain is mulling then over. "I was taught salvation by grace- but surrendered to Christ with fire and brimstone right in front of me." This post was timely for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any service my learning can be, I hope to share.

      Delete