What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Wednesday Bible Study: The end of all things- Philippians

 


This might be the prize end chapter of the whole Bible right here!  So many famous teachings, balled into 23 verses!

1- The two women

Php 4:2  I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord.

There are different kinds of people in any church, and these two ladies- judging from their names- are at two extremes.  I did the study on their names a while back- Euodia means basically 'help along the road', where Syntyche is more or less 'a crashing together'.  Paul is aiming for unity here- being all on the same team, despite the different ways the Lord touches us.

2- Three cheers!

Php 4:4  Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.

"Always" isn't just a throw in for Paul, as we will see moving on.

3- Anxiousness and peace

Php 4:6  do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
Php 4:7  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

This has been the most used gift Jesus has given me.  When I feel emotions welling up, I give it to Him... and if I then take my hands off the situation, He always gives me peace in my heart, without the circumstance changing a bit!

4- Think good thoughts

Php 4:8  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

I've been bugging myself to memorize this all week, but actually, it's something I've learned (somewhat) to practice.  Negative thoughts are Satan's tool to cause discontentment.  I'm getting better at seeing this and chasing them out.

5- No matter what shape your stomach's in

Php 4:11  Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.
Php 4:12  I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.

Forgive the use of the old song title, but it fits.  This about seeing Christ beyond the circumstance, and still REJOICE.  Told ya we'd get back to that!

6- Not my strength

Php 4:13  I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

See what I mean about all the famous teachings?  Paul really put an extra dose of, "If you hear nothing else" into this!

7- Others before self, why?

Php 4:15  And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only.
Php 4:16  Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again.
Php 4:17  Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit.


He wants them to be generous for the reward they will receive from God.  

I think now, if it ever got to the point that Christians were being persecuted to the "hiding Bibles and beyond" point, this one page would be sufficient to carry around.  It's kind of like a Bible Multivitamin!




4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. Paul had to deal with so many personalities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all do. Some are helpful; some, as Rick Warren used to say, are EGR (Extra Grace Required).

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I suppose that means I have to clean it up...

      Delete