What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, January 8, 2021

Time Machine co-ordinates VICXLXIV6581856

 


One can't get away from violence, it seems.  We left our sorry present to emerge on January 8th, 1956- the day the Waodani tribe in South America speared to death five missionaries.  But  one of the martyrs' sons and sister returned 3 years later, and now the 'killers'- who had no cultural restriction on killing, no word for 'peace', and a tradition of cyclical 'revenge killings' that had nearly extincted them- have given their lives to the Lord.



That is the son of one of the martyrs, and 2nd from left is the man who killed his dad- a man who learned from their willingness to return a better way.


But hey, now, this is a music show, and though I'm gonna have to look back to figure out who we've got introducing them, we have songs to appreciate!  BTW, that POTM guest is Rod Stewart!  We do have Rod Stewart, right, Nardole?

N:  Yes, and at the proper age as well!

Well, all right!  Then let's get the show started, with the new debut at #10!  It is a sequel to a track, Mexico, on the band's debut lp back in 1976 and comes off their new lp Comet- this is Firefall...




*************************************************

Greetings to you, Sir Rod!


Wow!  You mean to say I'm getting a knighthood?

Oops, yeah in about 40 years- 60, from where we are...

Wow!  You mean I'm still alive in 40 years?

Yeah, you and Keith Richards and Roger Daltrey, I think!  We've lost a lot of you old guys- like Gerry Marsden of the Pacemakers a few days ago...

That's a right shame, though I must say I have no plans of living forever!

So we're back in 1956, at which time you're an 11-year old aspiring footballer who just got to see Bill Haley's Comets not long ago.  And, I found out, we have something in common.

Really?  What might that be?

We're the babies of our families by a long stretch- me by ten years, you by 8!

But see, that's how we get off with such an easy childhood.  Between flat spoiling and our parents not being as spry as they used to be...

Yep, your parents were 41 and 40 when you were born, mine were 44 and 40!

I hope you don't think that makes us 'soul brothers' or 'long lost relatives', or somesuch...

Oh, no, just think it's kinda cool.  So we didn't have all that close a race, with but 6 songs from 14 stations, but the fans don't know that, so how about you give us the list they get to choose from?

Of course, that's what the little bald guy... Norton, I think- told me.

Um, that's Nar...
N:  Just go with Norton.  I don't care anymore, and it's better than 'Noodle'.

Okay... let 'er rip, Rod!

All right, we start with Dean Martin's Memories Are Made Of This, #2 on the Cashbox charts...

Then we have Barry Gordon with Ain't Gettin' Nuthin' For Christmas at #12...

Nelson Riddle's Lisbon Antigua at #22...

The Platters have The Great Pretender at #7...

The week's #1, Tennessee Ernie Ford's 16 Tons...

...and to close it out, Frank Sinatra and The Tender Trap at #27!

Thanks, Sir Rod!  I have to let you know that the winner matched the total of the other five combined, so... yes, Rod?

Well, I've heard about your Overseas, If You Please, and I should like to do that as well!

Sure, but you should know that this far back, we only have #1s for the UK and Australia.

Two it is, then!  The top song in Australia is Mitch Miller's Yellow Rose Of Texas; and in England, what else but....


...Bill Haley and his Comets and Rock Around The Clock!

No wonder you wanted to do this!  Anyway, I have a quick couple features for y'all- right after we play the new song at #8!  This is Local Opener- one half of M10er Okey Dokey- again with Dent May...



********************************************

Our 6D starts and ends with a native American name:  The starter is Wonga, which was Phil Harris's real first name!  It is Cherokee for "Fast messenger", and Phil was pretty 'wonga' singing voiceover hits for Disney as the cartoon characters Thomas O'Malley on O'Malley the Alley Cat  (The Aristocats) and Baloo the Bear on The Bear Necessities (The Jungle Book).  Both these were Terry Gilkeyson comps, who also wrote Memories Are Made Of This!  And that tune got not only Dean Martin votes, but on Cashbox it was combined for three weeks with those of Gail Storm's second single- which hit #16 solo on Billboard.  Her first charter, though, was at #3 without a panel vote- her version of I Hear You Knocking!  BTW, Gail's real middle name was Owaissa- a Norridgewock Indian word for bluebird.

"Tell me! Everyone is picking up on that feline beat / 'Cause everything else is obsolete!"

******************************************************************

Now, over New Year's Eve, I decided I was going to play every song that was #1 on  NYE from 1945 right on through!  I got to 1991 and Madonna's Justify My Love- a bad Love To Love You Baby impression IMHO- and with a song I truly despise in my rear view (Olivia Newton-John's Physical) and another in the headlights (Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You), I bailed early.  But... I did go on to write all of them down- 92 with 17 times Billboard and Cashbox disagreed- and pick my personal top 20.  So I thought I would share half tonight and half next week! (Thus cutting the size of the post, saving money, and eliminating the need for a fresh feature next week, also saving money- H Bellbottom)  Here are the lower half of my personal picks of my best all time NYE #1s!

20- Elvis, Are You Lonesome To-Nite? (1961)
19- Beatles, I Feel Fine (1965 BB)
18- Marvin Gaye, I Heard It Through The Grapevine (1969)
17- Wang Chung, Everybody Have Fun Tonight (1987 CB)
16- Nickleback, How You Remind Me (2002 BB)
15- Jim Croce, Time In A Bottle (1974 BB)
14- Santana w/Rob Thomas, Smooth (2000 BB)
13- Swing And Sway With Sammy Kaye, The Old Lamplighter (1947)
12- John Lennon, Just Like Starting Over (1981)
and 11- Charlie Rich, The Most Beautiful Girl (1974 CB)

As we close this feature for week #1, let me add that out of the 92, I actually knew 54 of them!  Next week, I'll let you know who had the most individual hits on the all time list!

*************************************************

The remaining M10:

Ringo moves up one to 9 with Here's To The Nights.
The Cactus Blossom hold at 7 with Happy Man.
Elton John moves up 2 to 6 with The Girl On Angel Pavement.
Back up a spot is former #1 Matthew Sweet, at 5 with At A Loss.
Alkonost makes Superstar status with their 7th M10, Bird moving up 1 to #4.
Jason Isbell- verrrry grudgingly- slips to 3 with Dreamsicle.
Molly Parden moves into that 2 spot with Kitchen Table.  
And holding on top for a second week:





....Saintseneca and Ladder To The Sun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as for the Panel...


Sinatra, Tennessee Ernie, Barry Gordon, and Nelson Riddle all got just one vote for 7%.

The Platters managed 21.4%.

And the winner, with 50% of the vote... 




... Dean Martin and Memories Are Made Of This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon back next week- you know it's always a blast with Dino in the house!

2 comments: