What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Monday, February 15, 2021

On blizzards and Bangladesh

 So here I am, staring what has the potential to be a downright Indiana blizzard here in a couple hours...


...and thus, I've been looking around for some angles to make this all entertaining.  I got onto a Quora discussion of where it doesn't snow, and a gentleman named Abdullah tried to explain in English how Bangladesh has what they consider 6 seasons.  To the best of my ability to interpret what he said, here are the 6 seasons of Bangladesh:

-Hot summer

-Always rain

-Day Time so hot +

- At whole night (?)

-Always rain (round two, apparently)

-winter

Of course, I had to dig further into it, and discovered the more accurate 6 seasons are:

summer (grisma, in Bengali), monsoon (barsa), autumn (sharat), late autumn (hemanta), winter (shit), and spring (basanta).

Note, this is from Discovery.com- I DID NOT make up the Bengali word for winter, though I certainly agree with it.  And, you know me, I wondered what other languages used that 4-letter word to mean something other than it means to us foul mouthed English speakers...

In Albanian (according to Google Translate, so don't blame me), it means "sell".  I bet their stock market is fun during a shit-off...

In Sundanese, it's "bitter".  Which would change a song from last summer's M10 to, "It's a shit pill to swallow..."  Doesn't seem to lose much in meaning...

In Tamil, it means "Sheet".  So I guess all those times my Dad would exclaim, "SHEET the bed", he was just speaking Tamil.  Amazingly cosmopolitan from a man who routinely mangled 'Afghanistan' into "Fagistan'...

In French, it means "hash".  That might tend to change my breakfast potato ordering...

And in Gujarati- "What is Gujarati?  You ask- well, it's spoken right here-


(That, BTW, is India)

...in Gujarati, it means "Including".  I know there's got to be a good gag about that one, but I should get back to the blizzard thing.


So, later in that first post, a teacher of secondary mathematics (AKA a junior high teacher) named Brian-

Probably not, but you never know....

- gave us the following list of places he says have never had snow:

Maldives, Brunei, Equatorial Guinea, Guyana, Suriname, Belize, El Salvador, Saint Lucia, Palau, Nauru, Tuvalu, Fiji. Kiribati, Singapore, Bangladesh, Vanuatu, Bahrain, Kuwait, St. Kitts & Nevis, Egypt, Malta, Tonga, Timor-Leste, Nauru, Federated States of Micronesia, and there may be a couple more.

 

And I'm thinking many of them are places I'd rather be than here tonight (given adequate food, shelter, and beer).  What's it doing right now in Bangladesh, Abdullah?

67 F, and foggy at 4 AM.  That is the typical description of Bangladeshi shi- er, winter.  Looking for a high of 82.  But it's prolly pretty crowded there, right now.  How about we try Tuvalu?  Where, you ask, is Tuvalu?


Ah, there we go, the south Pacific, just a hop, skip, and 2,500 mile jump from Jo-Anne!  And the weather?

82F, with a 65% chance of thundershowers at 10 AM.  I can live with that, too!  Let's try one more... say Bahrain?

66F at 1 AM, looking for a high of 77 with no rain!  We have a winner!



In the meantime, our WUndergound forecast is 12 F with snow falling at a rate of half an inch or above for the next SEVEN hours.  SHIT!

1 comment:

  1. Heard and saw about the horrible & dangerous weather on Sunrise this morning doesn't look good

    ReplyDelete