What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Wisdom Truck 34

 


Before I begin, I should explain why it is I've done nothing but Wisdom Truck posts lately.  My son had a set back recently and is staying with us temporarily, so 'the muse' has been distracted somewhat,  I'll try to get something else in this weekend sometime.  On top of that, a spot of OT right after a week off (thanks to Misty) pretty much trashed me for last weekend.  Not complaining, just explaining.


Anyway...

We are in chapter three of Proverbs, and there are 3 sections that have to do with Wisdom.  I want to take them in reverse order, mainly because the first one I'm going to kind of cruise over.  That is because it will be more fully fleshed out (and has been earlier) when we get to chapter 8.  But a brief look will help prepare that:

Pro 3:19  Jehovah founded the earth by wisdom; He founded the heavens by understanding; 

Pro 3:20  the depths were broken up by His knowledge, and the clouds dropped down the dew. 

In other versions, it begins, "Wisdom laid the foundations of the Earth", and if you see Wisdom as I do as the Holy Spirit, etc, then this makes sense: The Spirit set the plan's design ( in chapter 8, 'as a master craftsman'); Jesus, as Understanding, did the actual building (John 1:3  All things came into being through Him, and without Him not even one thing came into being that has come into being. ), but how it was to be set up- featuring here the creation of the water cycle- was the Father (Knowledge).  Like I said, we'll in-depth that in chapter 8 and the beginning of 9.

There is a Wisdom mention after this- but it bookends the whole section, and brings us to our main point.

Pro 3:13  Happy is the man who finds wisdom, and the man who gets understanding. Pro 3:14  For its profit is better than the gain from silver, and its increase more than fine gold; 


Pro 3:21  My son, do not let them depart from your eyes; keep sound wisdom and judgment, 

Pro 3:22  and they shall be life to your soul, and grace to your neck; 


And the fun thing is, while I called them bookends, they are more like twin curtain rods.  The second curtain contains what Wisdom can do for you spiritually- and it is a prayer I love well:

- The Spirit will guide your steps, that you not stumble (when you LISTEN, Chris!) v23

- You will be able to sleep without anxiety, v24

-Surprises, as well as "the destruction of the wicked", won't scare you, v25

-Because God is with you, to free you when your foot gets caught, v26.


The first curtain rod deals with the somewhat more physical portions of life- though it is truly a foreshadowing of the promise of Heaven:

-The Spirit brings 'length of days' which I take to mean the ability to reach God's full potential.  This is the primary- it is in Wisdom's 'right hand', v16

- Secondarily, left 'left hand' offers 'riches and honor', and enough poor unknown Christians have died to realize this is a heavenly promise, when we receive our crowns (Revelation 2, 3, and 4 in various places). Also v 16.

- The Spirit's leading brings you inner pleasantness and peace,v17

Pro 3:18  She is a tree of life to the ones who lay hold on her, and happy are the ones holding her fast. 

Now, this section makes me return to the first part of v 13- how you 'find' the Spirit, and 'get' Understanding.  I had grok help me out, and he gave me a couple of really cool explanations:

(Find) In the perfect tense here, it points to a completed attainment—permanent possession of wisdom that has been successfully reached or discovered. 

Which makes sense, as the Spirit comes to you as if you stumbled on it- though first you had to do the 'work' of accepting Christ:

(Get) This is a rarer, more vivid verb in the imperfect (or Hiphil) form. Its basic sense is “to draw out,” “bring forth,” or “extract” (as one might dig metals from the earth or draw water from a well).

"He who drinks my water will never thirst again." John 4:14.  See how neat it all ties together?


Which leaves us one last marker for Wisdom- the OTHER kind of wisdom:

Pro 3:5  Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding. 

Pro 3:6  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. 

Pro 3:7  Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear Jehovah and depart from evil. 

Pro 3:8  Healing shall be to your navel and marrow to your bones. 


Too many of us suffer from this aspect of pride- I know I do.  "Father knows best".  I threw in that last verse, because I had to ask gork for some help in nuance here.  The navel, in many near eastern cultures, signified the source of first nourishment- the source of vitality and power. (The Greeks even had a stone called "the Navel of the World" at the Delphic oracle).  The marrow signified what lies at the heart of one's basic structure.  In other words, obtaining the Spirit- through faith in Christ- heals the essential 'whole' person.

No comments:

Post a Comment