What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, November 8, 2019

Time Machine co-ordinates VICXVIII59711870



So today it is November 8th, 1970, and we're at Tulane Stadium in N'awlins for the matchup between the 5-2 Detroit Lions and the 1-5-1 Saints.  Detroit was getting as good as it gave from the woebegone Saints, but had just taken a lead on a field goal with 11 seconds left, 17-16.  Somehow or other, the Saints managed to get the ball down to the 37 yard line in 9 seconds, and club-footed kicker Tom Dempsey lined up for what would be a game winning FG 7 yards farther than anyone had ever kicked one.  This 63-yard game clincher has been tied 5 times since then, but only beaten once- ironically by Detroit's current kicker, Matt Prater.....





Upshot of the story- it was the last game that would not be a loss for the Saints that year; the Lions would go to the playoffs- and lose a 5-0 snoozer to the Cowboys, their last time to the playoffs for a dozen years.


Welcome to this week's Time Machine, where we have the Beatles, a real 6D, two new M10 debuts, and how many times Elvis recorded Beatle covers- and which ones!  30 minutes of commercial free music starts NOW!



Sir, I just received a call from a Mr Hanson at NFL Red Zone....

SERIOUSLY?  Good grief...

***************************************************************

Let's kick things off with our first debut!  At #8, from the lp to drop in February, Slow Rush, here's Tame Impala...





*****************************************



Gentlemen, welcome back!

Paul:  I think we might be needing to discuss increasing the stipend for all these guest shots...

You could be right.  Not only is this your third win in the last five, but you have now won an amazing 10 times- never with the same song!

Ringo:  Well, we have had 20 #1s in America- you're halfway through, mate!

So this week, we have a 26 contestant, 78-station list.  Are you ready?

John:  I'd like to have Yoko do some of these...

Absolutely not!

J:  Oh?  And why might that be?

Because, I've never heard her talk, I don't WANT to hear her sing, so I can't do a good bit with her!

P:  Seems reasonable to me, Johnny...

J:  Well... I guess as long as you keep Linda out, as well...

George:  My Sweet Lord, here we go...

No, no, I promise Linda won't appear in any of the Beatles posts.  Wings is another story, but no Beatles.

J:  Then Yoko can come on when the Plastic Ono Band wins...

P:  Good luck on that...

R: Thank God we got that settled, Last thing I want is Maureen to be on me about this, as well...

Let's get to the list, guys?

J: Right-o, let me have the one vote lot. First is the Buoys with Timothy, which doesn't even chart until next year... bit of trouble with the Tardis, mate? 

No, just the band's hometown getting in early...

J: Then we have... say, can I just read the English part here?

Sure, especially since I never wrote down the Swahili part...

J: Right, then the Temptations with Unite The World at #50...
Bread- that's a band right?  They are at #7 with It Don't Matter To Me...
Then it is Liz Damon's Orient Express with 1900 Yesterday at... well, she's not due until next year, either.  Paul?

P:  Thank you kindly, John.  I have the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band with Express Yourself at #31...
The Guess Who...

R:  I dunno, who?

P: No, the band, you twit, with Share The Land at #40...
Then another time traveler, Jackie Moore's Precious Precious peaking next February, as well as the Mike Curb Congregation with Burning Bridges.  George, you've been quite quiet, how 'bout you have a go?

G:  Sorry, I've been meditating while you went on... so I have ... oh, Chris, could you pop out?  You have no chart position for this one...

This AGAIN?  God, even my notes need proofread...

G:  While you're out, I have the Carpenters with (They Long To Be) Close To You, which peaked 4 bloody months ago...
100 Proof Aged In Soul with Somebody's Been Sleeping at #8... ah, thank you- Neil Young and Only Love Can Break A Heart at #57...
And finally, Brian Hyland and Gypsy Woman at #19.  Richard?

R: Merci, Georges!  I have Blood Sweat And Tears with Lucretia McEvil at #17...
the 5th Die- mension with One Less Bell To Answer at #59...
a hit from Holland, the Les Humphries Singers with To My Father's House...
and, our mates the Who and See Me Feel Me at #16.  Back to you, John!

J:  And we aren't even through the bloody one-voters yet! One last one- Bobby Bloom's Montego Bay at #27.
Then we start on the votes but not enough lot with R Dean Taylor's Indiana Wants Me at #3.  Where in bloody hell is Indiana, anyway?

You're floating three seconds out of sync with it right now...

J:  Ah.  Terribly sorry, mate.  Also, we have CCR with Looking Out My Back Door, a song that dropped off last week.  Those had two votes.  And I have one here with 3 votes- the Four Tops with Still Water (Love) at #29.  Paul?

P:  Not a lot left to do now!  The last of the others is James Taylor with Fire And Rain at #4.  Now gather around, lads, we'll each do a finalist.  George?

G:  I have, I'll Be There by the Jackson 5 at #2...
R:  Right, I have the Pheasant Family...
J: I believe that says 'Partidge'...
R:  Well, so it does!  The PARTRIDGE  Family with I Think I Love You at #5...
J:  I have Smoky Robinson and the Miracles with Tears Of A Clown at #12...
P: And I have the Carpenters and We've Only Just Begun at #1!  There you have it!

Thanks, guys!  Tune in later to see who won.  In the meantime...

**********************************************

As I told Laurie, I don't go out of my way to listen to new stuff by a band currently in the M10- I usually wait until their first song has had a good run.  But I had to go and listen to this- and it was too good to let go!  In fact, I think it is the best song put out in one full lp and 3 songs by Jeff Lynne's ELO- and I debuted it at #7:





*************************************

Hey, are... THEY... gone yet?


Yes they are, but I thought I would have a little fun and see how many times YOU recorded Beatles' songs!

C'mon, man... this ain't right...

Oh, please!  Now, Elvis here recorded-at least in part- 5 Beatles tunes.  Think about it for a bit, and I'll tell you about the five.  But first...

Robert Walser is an American "musicologist"- an expert in music, knowledgeable enough that he gets used in copyright cases!  He claims the first song built around power chords is the Kinks' You Really Got Me.  Among the interesting stories I read about this hit was that Dave Davies played those chords on a speaker he had cut up with a razor in frustration just moments before!  This is a many-times covered song itself (the most famous being Van Halen's very first single), and one of those times was on Robert Palmer's debut lp, Double Fun.  That lp was launched by the hit Every Kinda People- still my favorite by Robert- which was one of two big hits written by bassist Andy Fraser.  The other?  Well, if I tell you he played for and helped found Free, you'll know the 6D victim this week is All Right Now, at #6 without a Panel vote.

********************************************

Stat Pack time!

One thing I've been wanting to try on and off is saluting the, in my opinion, unusual singer/cover matchups I've seen on our recent trips.  For example, this week I saw Johnny Mathis covering Santana's Evil Ways (#123), Dorothy Morrison (who sang lead for the Edwin Hawkins Singers on Oh Happy Day) doing Norman Greenbaum's Spirit In The Sky (#101), Shirley Bassey covering the Beatles on Something (87), and Dionne Warwick covering the Walker Brothers on Make It Easy On Yourself (26).

The big mover was a mere 13 for Gypsy Woman, 32 to 19.

Debuting this week were Van Morrison's Domino (91), Santana's Black Magic Woman (85), and Chicago's Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is (64).

And my #1 for the week?  We've Only Just Begun, no question.

Oh, and the UK was topped by Ian Matthews' Southern Comfort with their version of Woodstock.

**********************************************

So which songs did Elvis cover the Beatles on?  Well, two were incomplete, and put on records without permission:  Lady Madonna (on the Walk A Mile In My Shoes box set) and Hey Jude (on 1972's Elvis Now).  The other three songs were all recorded live:  Something (live on the Aloha From Hawaii lp), Yesterday (from 1970's On Stage), and a concert favorite mash-up of Get Back with Little Sister, recorded on the 1980 set Elvis Aaron Presley.

************************************************************

The rest of the M10:

White Reaper spends its 9th and last week at #10 with 1 F.
Jilted by the new single, Jeff Lynne's ELO and Time Of Our Lives sits at #9 a second week.
John Schneider, Quiet Hollers, and Saint Asonia all move up a spot:  John to 6 with Stained Glass, QH to 5 with Loup (Hide It Away) and SA to 4 with Beast.

And the top 3 hold- Silversun Pickups' Neon Wound at 3, Brooke Annibale's Collided at #2, and for a second week at the top:



...The Japanese House and Something Has To Change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And your Panel finalists?

Smoky only scored 5.1%...
The Carpenters, sadly, did little better at 10.3%...
Nor the J5, at 15.4%...

But the winners, with 30.76%....




...the Pheasa..., er, the Partridge Family with I Think I Love You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which, in addition to getting Susan Dey (YES!) , Shirley Jones, and Suzanne Crough on the Beauty Contest list, means I might have to arrange extra seating next week when we go to 1971!

7 comments:

  1. Of the M10s, I liked ELO the most. Not a huge fan of the Partridge Family (although David Cassidy was a cutie! ☺), but there's a couple of favourite songs, here, namely Fire And Rain and Black Magic Woman. I did not know that Elvis recorded any Beatles songs. Interesting! Can't imagine Johnny Mathis covering Santana; on to Youtube to check it out! ☺ Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Now see, I have developed a taste for the crooners, and this ain't half bad... of course, I've listened to two of the most cringe-worthy songs I've heard in a long time in the last 10 minutes, so...

      Delete
    2. I like crooners, just not covering Santana! ☺

      Delete
    3. Try listening to New Birth covering It's Impossible. GGGGGGG....

      Delete