So just to let y'all know what's going on NOW...
Misty started struggling with loose stools and phlegm-y vomit Sunday. Monday, Laurie followed vet instructions and got some boiled chicken and rice to settle her stomach. Monday night, I come home more wiped than usual... and after I call in, Misty loses her chicken breakfast. So we take her to the vet. Vet finds no blockages, nothing she's really worried about, sends us home with meds and we go back to normal- for a couple hours. Then the stools become bloody, and she can't get comfortable.
Laurie gets back with the vet, and vet says she can give us an antibiotic to help get through the night, then bring her in in the morning. (Vet's office not open at night; Emergency pet hospital demands payment, and were were 3 days till payday, and vet will actually work WITH people.) While Laurie gets the meds, Grok kicks me in the butt and says, give her ice chips! That settled her down somewhat; the phlegm, which had been a flood, slows and stops.
Today, x-rays and blood work show nothing but extreme dehydration (which we cannot figure out the whys of), and the thought is that she just got a bug that where an ordinary dog would have shook it off, her Addisons- affected system couldn't. She got meds and fluids all day today, got a little appetite back, and has to go back tomorrow for another day of fluids and checking her out.
Right now, she's dozing comfortably for a change, even doing some dreaming. We got tons of moochies on the way home. And how about this- they said that, about 45 minutes before we got there, she "started whining a little"- right when we left to go get here! ESP doggie!
Kudos not only to our excellent vet who works with us, and to my boss who retroactively (and, no doubt reluctantly) aproved me 3 days of vacay time. (Which also is funny, since I had jokingly told Laurie that I felt like I should have put in for a vacation this week anyway after the struggle that is cutting fabric for Warrior boat covers- and I end up with three days worth of one anyway. The last time I felt like taking a week's vacation, the car was in the shop for a week and I had to...)
Being honest, I was a wreck last night. I know some of you might not believe in God and the power of prayer, but my panic ended when I prayed, "Lord, tomorrow she'll be in the vet's hands and I won't be worrying; tonight, You are my vet." When you get to the end of yourself and say, "I can't do this", He can. And if you believe, He does.
She's not 100%, maybe about 60%, which is no surprise after a 24 hours where the only thing that she would eat (and keep down) was two chunks of med-laced cheese (which I had to hold her mouth shut to get her to swallow). But she is better. I'll update when it warrants.
thecontemplativecat here. So sorry to hear of Misty's struggles and treatments. Something like this reminds us all that God is in control and we are not. I hope that she continues to improve..
ReplyDeletePoor Misty, and you! 😩 A good vet is worth their weight in gold. Glad to know Misty is on the mend, and I wish her all the best for a speedy recovery!
ReplyDelete