What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Screaming




Tonight I got on a search for 'coping with the loss of your dog'.  Because if I am, it's just barely, and only on the surface.

I saw a lot of helpful things that I've already tried, started, gone through.  I've saw my daily battle described perfectly.  The 'deafening silence', the 'phantom feedings', though I must admit, 'head-butting the bathroom door to be let in while taking a crap' seemed to be missing.

Scrappy, I just went out on a warm night to take some trash out.  I can see you wagging your tail in delight, you always loved night walks.  The scents were brighter to you, your vision far better than mine.  We never had any fear at night together.  Despite the skunks, despite the getting caught in severe thunderstorms.  Despite the walking into a murder investigation once, despite being startled by a frog the size of Zulu at the Swamp one time.  I was never afraid with you.

And I tell you, sometimes the only thing that helps is imagining myself screaming as loud as I can, as long as I can.

I do remember all the good times, and thank God for every second of them.  I do.  But they aren't your singing when I come home, and holding my stuffed guys isn't feeling you at my feet at night.  Hearing you snore, if I can miss the stupidest things.

There are times I can put it in perspective.  I've lost parents.  I've family who have lost husbands, wives, children.  A loss like these is a chunk, a percentage, if you will, of yourself you never get back.  I watched helplessly as my former pastor's mother lost 99.9% of her everything when her husband died.

But in a damn quiet house damn all alone, all I have is mine and that's you and you aren't here.  You're my baby, and babies aren't supposed to be DEAD!!! 


Slow.  Deep breaths.  Clear the tears and look for red squiggles in what I just typed.


You've all been where I am.  You calm yourself, and say, 'Boy, do I need a ____.'  But nothing you stick in there quite does the job, does it?  All your strength feels faked, all your faith shallow against the nightmare that never ends.


One of the suggestions was talk it out with someone who understands.  You understood.  You knew that night when we lay together on the floor that this was the last time.  So did I.  We understood.  And half of understood is now gone.



It's okay, folks, I'll get it tied back together in time for tomorrow.  Every day gets just a step easier, and soon I go whole weeks without breakdowns.  Why I think I might have skipped one day last week.  Maybe next week, two days.  Maybe by the 4th of July, I'll have run out of triggers and I'll have found a new balance, a new normal.


Tonight, though, I think I'll have a glass of milk and go up and hug the stuffing out of Chocolate moose and Farty Hippo, and baby talk 'em like I did you.  And turn on a radio to drown out the sounds of snoring no longer there.

15 comments:

  1. Oh Chris, friend I’m so sorry ❤️😍🥰😫🙁 please reach out if you need anything. Always praying for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Count them as answered, the bailing wire held another day.

      Delete
  2. Oh no, CW. I'm so very sorry for your loss. My heart and my prayers go out to you. I absolutely understand. All those things that I found so freakin' annoying - why won't he stopping licking when I'm trying to sleep?? Why does he have to bark at the bunny in the backyard??, are the things I miss the most because they were his things. And of course the things he did that weren't annoying at all - looking back while we went for a walk to make sure we were still on the end of the leash, laying his head on my feet when we ate, carrying his Elmo toy around, so many other things. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I get it and now I'm crying with you.

    Much love to you,

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing that has helped- the only time I've felt alone is when I AM alone. And with all the annoying things didn't you leave out, "Looking pissed at me because he wants a drink and I just. Sat. Down." ?

      Delete
  3. Oh Chris, i'm now crying at my desk. Losing Scrappy is equally a huge percentage as losing a loved human. He was your baby and yall were best friends. I just cant even think about losing Jax or Lila. My heart hurts for you and i am the worst person to give anyone advice on losing a loved one. I don't know what to do either. Just cry it out. Do you think you may be up to adopt a new dog? Sometimes it really is the best thing. Its not replacing Scrappy at all but giving the love and attention and a shelter dog a new life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of factors are making us hold off on a new doggie until the autumn- not the least of which, evidently, is, "I've got to be in a better place, to be fair to the newbie." God was gentle enough to give us 8 months of 'thinking about it' to prepare. Hopefully He will be so kind to you- some day far from now, that is.

      Delete
  4. Chris:
    You know I totally understand where you are.
    In some ways, I'm STILL there, having lost a pet who shared a THIRD of MY life.
    (that was a first for me)
    Sure, the "kids" keep me occupied enough, as do our community cats, but there are times when I still miss my forever buddy.
    Same goes for his sister, who we had for 17 years.
    I guess it comes to "The greater the investment of your life with a pet, the deeper the loss".
    And I understand that, too.
    There are the sad songs, times we shared, and me cleaning up after him.
    I'm not a person who relishes having to say GOODBYE. That's just too final in my book.
    I prefer to say "Until we meet again".
    Remember...if you need me, I'll be here.

    Stay strong up there, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... and thanks. I don't feel like nobody understands, but I think... maybe the break wasn't healing right, and the Great Physician needed to re-break. So back to square one, hopefully doing it better this time.

      Delete
  5. I'm very sorry for your loss. Here are two posts you can either read or not as it amuses you to do so.

    http://madjackshack.blogspot.com/2010/03/doggie-in-window.html

    http://madjackshack.blogspot.com/2013/02/rip-excellent-rachmaninoff.html

    There is no real cure for what ails you, nor are you the only one to suffer so. I miss all my dogs, my cats, and my other critters. The only thing to do is to go out and get another dog, and you'll love the new one just as much as you loved Scrappy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. Don't you just love the unique and special personality. I told someone today, "Scrappy was like my underwear"- always with me. Like I have said, thinking I'm alone isn't near a problem. I have a lot of friends like you who have gone through the same hell. I think last night, I just had the trigger that got me to, "Right now is MY turn, and I need to stop being strong for a while." This post was my 'nuclear option', and now it's like day 1 all over again. I have some lessons I didn't get quite right the first time, so far among them is 'thinking I shouldn't be angry since there's no one to focus it on.' Anger doesn't have to have a focus here, and I haven't let it get out properly as a result. As for 'love as much', I know that's impossible, but I need to be at a point of being able to love as much as necessary. Not sure I'm there yet.

      Delete
  6. I have no words just big warm loving hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that pain, Chris and and can only say, it does get somewhat easier to bear, over time. You have to allow yourself time to grieve and take as long as you need. ♥ Having your furbaby die is the absolute worst part of being a pet parent. In an ideal world, they would live as long as we do! What helped my husband and me was to run away from home for a long weekend. It took a little of the edge off, being somewhere else, not looking at all the old, familiar places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The escape days are nice... the everyday sucks. I know you've been there many times, and maybe some people might think this all is 'selfish whining." But I really think the healing only had an illusion of being good, and I needed to start over.

      Delete
    2. Definitely NOT "selfish whining" at all! It helps to talk about your pain and sorrow; an unburdening of sorts. There is no right or wrong way to grieve. You have to do it in your own way and your own time. ♥

      Delete