What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, July 24, 2020

Time Machine co--ordinates VICLII63372458



LAST WEEK AT THIS TIME...

Elvis:  Okay, you two idiots, we have a problem.  Chris is way, way down, an' I think we're gonna miss this week's show.  WE CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN, unnerstan'?

Don Everly:  Why not?

EP:  Becuz this is the week o' my big movie Beauty Contest!

DE:  YOU in a beauty contest?  I vote Frankie Avalon...

Phil Everly: Not, him, Don, the girls in his movie.  What do you want us to do?

EP:  Well, he usually starts off with what happened that day- in this case, July 17th, 1958...

DE:  Ah, I remember that day well...

EP:  I'll just bet you do...  

DE:  Sure, we were on the road with Buddy an' the Crickets.

PE:  No, Don, we finished that tour in early July.  We were taking a break by then.

EP:  Look, no 'un cares what you did.  What was goin' on in the world, that's what we need...

DE:  So just hit one of these frammistats here and ask..

EP:  DON' HIT... WHOOOOOAA...

*************************************************************

And that's how we get here, one week askew of where we should be, our Beauty Contest ringleader and POTM guests lost in time, and me with last week's show, a Beauty Contest to put together, and three new debuts to the postponed M10 to play.  So let me play one of those, and we'll try to tune in on our poor lost cast.

At #10, the return of someone we haven't heard from since roughly this time in 2016!  Here's Canadian Basia Bulat...




***************************************

LAST WEEK AT THIS TIME...

EP:  Thanks, Noodle, fer pullin' us outta that one...

Nardole:  You KNOW you shouldn't be activating any of these devices!  Even Chris barely knows what's he's doing...

DE:  Sorry, that was my fault...

N (Glaring at EP): And you let him?

EP:  Hell, no!  But he won' do it again...

DE:  But do you really think you had to duct tape me to the chair this tight? I...

(Everyone): YES!!

EP:  Okay, so mebbe you can just roll the tape of our nine contestants in my Beauty Movie Pageant...

N:  THAT'S the name you're going with?

EP: Just run the slides, okay?


From Follow That Dream, Anne Helm...

From Loving You, Delores Hart


From GI Blues, Juliet Prowse



From King Creole, Carolyn Jones

From Love Me Tender, Debra Paget


From Flaming Star, Barbara Eden


From Blue Hawaii, Joan Blackman


From Jailhouse Rock, Judy Tyler


And from Viva Las Vegas, Ann-Margaret

PE:  Boy, you sure did pick some fine women, Elvis!

EP:  Thank you, thank you very much!  But now, we gotta figure out which un's Chris picked fer the final four!  Noodle, do you have that file?

N: Sir, merely hit that link right there...

EP:  This one?

DE (Hobbling over duct-taped to a chair):  Hey, let me see!  Let me...
N:  PLease don't push, I... look out!
EP: UH-OH...WHOOOOAAA.......


******************************************************************************

Will they ever make it back?  Learn more after listening to the debut at #9, from Bob Dylan's son Jakob, and someone we just discussed recently, Cat Power... this came up in my 'discovered for you' feed from the 2018 movie Echo In The Canyon, and in the Cover Summer of 2020, why not?








****************************************************************

LAST WEEK...


DE:  C'mon, guys!  Don't hang me upside down on the wall!  I promise I won't...

PE:  Shut up, Don.  Is that the list?

EP: It sure seems to be!  He took Anne Helm, Juliet Prowse, Joan Blackman, and Judy Tyler.  So where's that durn dog?


You're not talking about me, are you?
EP:  Yes, Misty, good girl...

DE:  Misty, come rescue me from evil Elvis!
PE: Don, shut up!

EP:  Naw, Misty you come be a good girl... lookit these nice treats...




...each one with the name of a beautiful co-star lady!  Now cum on over an' git one...




...that's a girl, an... wait?  She's got the paper too!

DE:  I TOLD you not to stick the paper to the treat!

EP:  Shut up, Don!  There she goes, down that hatch!  FOLLOW THAT DOG!!

PE: Wait, where does that shaft go to?
DE, PE, EP: WHOOOOOOAAA....

****************************************************************

Okay, so they'll be joining us in a minute, so let me get to the other parts of business here!  Your finalists for this past week were:

Hard Headed Woman by Elvis (which he is no doubt singing to Misty right now), #3 on last week's Cashbox chart for 1958, and  Poor Little Fool by Ricky Nelson, the big mover from 36 to 14, 12 spots.

The Everlys had the #1 in the UK with All I Have To Do Is Dream, which was #9 here; Canada had Hard Headed Woman, Australia had the Platters and Twilight Time.

Our 6D for the second time in recent weeks was the Cashbox #1, Sheb Wooley's Purple People Eater, which I would have loved to put through the 6D but just wasn't able; and that high debut at #8 this week is the latest single from defending Beauty Contest winner Brooke Annibale...





******************************************


THUMPPPP!!!!

Hello, gentlemen!  Welcome to this week's show!

EP:  Aw shucks, now we gone and done it!

I'd say so.  And the only thing I'm actually upset about is that you didn't do it to help me out... you did it for your own glorification!  Aren't all those hits enough glory?

EP:  Yeah, boss, they are.  Sorry!
PE:  Sorry, Chris!
DE:  They made me do it!  They tied me up in duct tape, an'...
EP, PE:  Shut up, Don!

Anyway, Elvis, here's the winning slip of paper!  You want to open it?

EP:  Yeah, I- I mean no, you do it...

Okay then!  The winner of the Elvis Movie Beauty Contest Is...



Judy Tyler!!!!! Congrats to Judy!!!!

DE:  I was gonna pick her...
PE:  YOU picked Frankie Avalon!
DE:  That's back when I thought Elvis an' a buncha guys were in it!
PE:  I would have picked you, Don...

DE: REALLY?
PE: Of course not, you idiot, I'm smarter than to pick a guy in a beauty contest!

And for the M10...
EP:  Boss, let me do the M10... just to kinda make up fer all this....

Okay, go ahead...

The rest o' the M10 had Margo Price's Letting Me Down falling 2 to #7; The Jayhawks go from 10 to #6 with Bitter Pill; The Shacks fall from 2 to 5 with Smile Now, Cry Later; Hazel English is up 5 to #4 with Five And Dime; Dent May is up 5 too, to #3 with I Could Use A Miracle; The Explorer's Club down to #2 with Didn't Want To Have To Do It;  and that means, returning to #1 after being 3 for 2 weeks...





...the Jayhawks n' Bad Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, bud!  And in honor of your repentance, I have a treat for you!  Winning this week's Panel by 32.3% to 14.7%.....




.............Elvis and Hard Headed Woman!

I WON?  I WON!  YESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So next time, a hopefully quieter and healthier week, with me and my big bud here, and 1959!

DE:  And they finally untie me!  Yaaay!

Everyone:  SHUT UP, DON!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris!

    I caught a glimpse of your Wednesday post and saw that you were still struggling with the bug. I hope now that two more days have passed you're feeling a lot better, good buddy!

    Thanks for introducing Canadian folk singer & songwriter Basia Bulat. I like her vocal style and I see that her songs have been used in various promos and adverts. She is worthy!

    I'm looking over the field of beauties from Elvis movies. Hmmm. No Granny Clampett, I see! (She was the "it girl" in the little known Elvis film Possumbake. Scrappy wouldn't be pleased knowing that Granny didn't make the cut.

    I think Dolores Hart is best known for her main role in the Connie Francis movie Where The Boys Are. When I was growing up Juliet Prowse was on TV all the dang time, doing her song and dance on music variety shows. I got tired of seeing her. I much preferred watching Topo Gigio. As I told you before, I really liked Debra Paget. I saw her 1951 film Bird of Paradise when I was very young and she made quite an impression on me. (SPOILER: Debra is forced to jump into an active volcano in a human sacrifice ritual. Me no likey!) Barbara Eden is another overexposed actress. I find her attractive but not sexy at all and I can't imagine her as a love interest of Elvis Presley. From 1950 to 1953 Judy Tyler played the character Princess Summerfall Winterspring on The Howdy Doody Show. Her appearances are therefore among my very earliest childhood memories. Judy is immortalized in the poster for her movie musical Bop Girl Goes Calypso. A few years ago I printed out the colorful poster and used it as the cover of one of my scrapbooks:

    https://www.dvdplanetstore.pk/shop/music/bop-girl-goes-calypso-1957/

    Elvis couldn't get over Judy's sudden death and it still haunts me as well.

    I also appreciate the intro to Jakob Dylan and his cover of "You Showed Me," a song penned by members of the Byrds and turned into a hit by The Turtles.

    Oh NO! if Misty ate the paper and all, we might need to wait another day or two until her pick comes out the back end!

    Holy mackerel! I like... make that LOVE defending Beauty Contest champ Brooke Annibale! The Pittsburgh based folk thrush has the kind of voice you and I both dig, and she has a down home, no nonsense, girl-next-door quality that I find very appealing. Thanks for that introduction, too!

    I hear a drum roll. The envelope please. Yay! I am very please to see that Misty picked Judy Tyler as the weiner (winner) of this year's Beauty Contest. I only hope the paper her name was written on didn't give your pooch indigestion. I am also rooting for you to feel better, Chris. Thanks for inviting me over again this year and take good care of yourself, good buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked everything! I didn't know about Judy Tyler's royalty, though it would have struck a chord with my older brothers. BA has livestreamed on her FB page a few times during the quarantine; I've had her and Basia around for a while, though Brooke has really been more active this past year and this is the first from Basia I run into since 2016. Rest assured Misty carefully removed all paper before consumption, and Wayne Newton was not hurt in the proceedings. Have to agree on BE, even on genie, her 'evil twin' was better than she was.

      Delete
  2. I tried to read this but I can't concentrate so gave up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Non-linear timelines aren't everyone's cuppa, I understand.

      Delete
  3. I vote for Carolyn Jones, I love that sultry look. And I must have been living under a (musical) rock (pun intended, sort of), I had no idea that Bob Dylan had a son who's a musician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Jakob's been around a while. His band the Wallflowers had a big hit in 1996 with One Headlight.

      Delete