What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, December 11, 2020

Time Machine co-ordinates VICXLXI654121176

 


FROM THIS WEEK'S STAFF MEETING:

So let's put the schedule down on paper for the holidays, shall we?

Nardole: Very well, sir.  Let me get my day planner up...

Elvis:  Say, didja ever notice that "Nardole" is scrambled for "Leonard"?

Bellbottom:  Could we PLEASE show some decorum?

E:  I put up the wreaths on the door, what more do you want?

I hope you weren't expecting an intelligent answer, Horace... anyway, so we are OFF next week, except for an M10 update... Thursday Christmas Eve will be the big Christmas party, along with the Beauty Contest... New Years Day will be the M10 top 20 for the year... and the 8th we'll be back to 1956... Everything check?

N:  The dates seem in order, sir...

E:  We've got green lights from all the Christmas guests, we're a go for Christmas eve!

B:  All pending litigation has been settled at this point, and the contracts are all in good order!

So it looks like this holiday we'll have fairly smooth sailing, Lord willing!  What about today's show?  Do we have KC and the Sunshine Band?

N:  Uhm... I thought I was supposed to get Casey Stengal...

That was a joke, you idiot?  Didn't you hear us laughing?

E: Hah hah! Chill, boss... we's just joshin' you.  I told 'im to pretend...

N:  You didn't SAY, pretend...

E:  Noodle, tell me yer kidding...

N:  Uhm...

Okay, while we get this worked out, let's play the first of 3 M10 debuts this week!  At #10 is the lead singer of Wilco, Jeff Tweedy, and his latest...




**********************************************


Hi, Skipper!  How are you today?

"My health is good enough about the shoulders."*

(Note:  Anything in quotation marks are actual quotes.)

Good, good.  I suppose you're a bit confused why you're here...

"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of them."

Around here, you get used to those moments.  So what's we're going to do is talk about music... you have any interest in music, Casey?

"What do you think, I was born old?"

No, sir! So we basically have a 'hit parade', I suppose you'd call it, and this week we had 49 stations give us 17 different #1 songs...

Seventeen?  I like that, it's a nice round number.

Er, yes, and what I'm going to do is give you the top five vote getters to read off.

"Nobody ever had too many of them." Of course, I'm usually talkin' about pitchers when I say that... or maybe baseballs.

Before we start, I should let everybody know that one song ran away with things, getting well over half the vote- and the rest of the finalists are "anybody that got more than one vote".  So, Skipper, here's the list...

I don't know any of these fellas!

Well, we're a few years beyond your time, sir...

" I'll never make the mistake of being seventy again."

Anyway, you can just read the names off...

Say, this Rod Stewart fella got most of the votes!  Say, is he any relation to that Marlin Stuart I had back in '54?  He went 3-0, but if we couldn't hit, he'd have been 0-10!

Um, I tend to doubt it... and, well, you just gave away the winner.  Rod Stewart chalked up 53 % of the vote with Tonight's The Night...  So I guess now we'll have to have people guess the best loser!

Gee, I'm sorry... I ain't used to winners anymore, with the Mets.  Why, we were so bad, "Lyndon B. Johnson wanted to see poverty, so he came to see my team."

It's okay, Casey.  I'll get you dialed in here while the audience listens to the next M10 debut.  From their 2018 lp Pillar of Na, here's Saintseneca at #8....

2018??? Where the hell are we??




****************************************************

So, just read these here names, right?

Yep, easy as that.

I used to have some players that could mess this up.  There was this one kid, "couldn't hit the ground if he fell out of an airplane."

But, anyway, you people choose from these here songs...

The Spinners, Rubber Band Man, #4 on Cashbox's chart.  Say, is Rubber Band Man the song or the singer?

The Sylvers at #17 with Hot Line.  Must be about the Russkies.

Leo Sayer, You Make Me Feel Like Dancing at #5.  Boy, that's how Mick- Mickey Mantle- used ta make me feel. "He should lead the league in everything!"

And Boston- back in my day, that was a town, I even played there at the end.  We weren't much better than the Mets back then. "Well, that's baseball. Rags to riches one day and riches to rags the next." This Boston, though, has More Than A Feeling at #16, on the way down.  That it?

That's it, Skip.  Thanks for being such a good sport!  And now, let's hit that last debut at #7.  This is a band who has almost snuck in a couple of times before, and now has finally made it.  Introducing to you, Pale Waves...





***********************************************

Overseas If You Please...

Tonight's The Night also was tops in Canada this week; Australia and New Zealand were still in the throes of ABBA-mania, and Money Money Money- which was close to a year away from hitting here- topped their charts.  South Africa was topped by Dutch country band Pussycat- fronted by the Kowalczyk sisters- with a tune called Mississippi.  And I really took a liking to the band at the top of the UK chart.  Two bands walk into a bar, like the same kind of music, and become one band, that's Showaddywaddy and their hit Under The Moon Of Love.

The Big mover is ...well, I apparently forgot to do it!  Let me put 'er in reverse for a sec... Ah, it was Stevie Wonder with I Wish, up 18 from 46-28.

And now, special guest Joe Piscopo with his unique version of our 'cut for time' 6D:


M*A*S*H pilot!  Lieutenant Dish- 


Wow, now in Beauty Contest! Sang for Brasil '66 after Lani Hall...


Wow!  Her too!  Her solo lp Sun Down Lady!  Song called Sun Down- changed lyrics!  America covered it, Toni Tennille Laughs!  "Sounds like they're singing about Muskrats!"  Original lyrics by Willis Allan Ramsey, original title, Muskrat Candlelight!  Captain and Tennille, original lyrics, new title- Muskrat Love!  Number two, no votes, so sad!  Thankyouverymuch!

Thanks, Joe- I couldn't have done it without you!

Now, the rest of the M10:

9- Acres Wild makes it to week #8 with Mirrorball Stars slipping one spot.
6- So does Yuno, with No Going Back falling from 4.
5- Breaking the pattern ever so slightly, Ron Keel holds a third week at 5 with Ghost Riders.
4- A second three-notch gain for Jason Isbell and Dreamsicle.
3- Slipping one spot, Purr and Avenue Bliss.
2- Ditto for former top dog M.A.G.S. and Smile.

Which means our new #1 this week....



...Matthew Sweet and At A Loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



And now- who finished second?

The Sylvers got 4%...
The Spinners and Leo Sayer got 6.1%...
Which means Boston took second place, 22 votes back, with 8.1%!

And, which means HOPEfully Rod Stewart- not "that Stuart kid" Casey had in 1954, not Martha Stewart, not even Jimmy Stewart, but Rod Stewart, at an appropriate age (AKA not 11 years old), will be our guest when the regularly scheduled madness returns after the new year!

2 comments:

  1. I had a laugh and like the memories this music brought to mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a laugh writing it? I never know how things will play out when I start typing...

      Delete