What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Sunday, April 11, 2021

The Better Part, week #15

 


Here are this week's FB posts for your enjoyment and edification:


The Better Part, day #93:
 
For some, God's provision means one more day of safety from persecution. Others, just that word of encouragement. For me, on a day my back was screaming at me to go home at noon, and having a machine that fought me every step of the way for the last hour before noon, God's provision was David Jeremiah saying, "Calm is a word that really doesn't mean anything on its own. It only has meaning when the storm comes."
 
The Better Part, Day# 94:
 
Jas 4:6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says, God resists the proud, but He gives grace to the humble.
Jas 4:7 Therefore submit yourselves to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 
 
The first of two things I heard in the middle of the night last night, not realizing they were part of the same word to me, was that second verse, with the teaching: "Note the order. To make the Devil flee from you, you must first submit to God, then God will make him flee."
But when you look at the whole passage, you note some things about submitting. It involves humbling yourself, drawing near to the Lord. It references Ephesians 6, and taking advantage of all the tools the Spirit gives, known as the Whole Armor of God. Notice this all involves emptying your hands of the battle, and giving it to God.
Not surprisingly, this joined with something John McArthur mentioned in thumbnailing the Prodigal Son parable: "...he was in a hurry to claim riches HE NEVER EARNED." Too many times we try to claim a promise from the Lord, without bothering to meet, or even learn, the requirements thereof.
 
 
The Better Part, Day #95
 
 
We find mission fields in unusual places. Last night, someone close to us had their father get hit by a driver going the wrong way on a four lane divided highway. In my prayers, I realized that to be heard for one, I have to pray for the other as well. I prayed this prayer: "Whatever goal Satan had in filling this person with hell, glorify Yourself and destroy the plan by filling them both with Heaven."
 
 
The Better part, Day #96:
 
Michael Youssef has been touching on Jonah this week, including mentioning something I never thought about before: Instead of telling the sailors, "It's me, turn around and take me back," He was ready to be thrown in the sea and drown rather than do things God's way. Not only was he disobedient, he gave sailors the idea he served a powerful and wrathful God; if he'd told them to turn around, the storm would still have abated and they would have been much more interested in a merciful God.
Of course, that was the part of God Jonah didn't want to see. What part of God causes MY disobedience?
 
 
The Better Part, Day #97:
 
Eph 3:4 When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ,
Eph 3:5 which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit. 
 
This passage- particularly v5- has a question mark from me in my p[ap[er and ink Bible, a New Open translation. And when I looked at it this morning, it had me confused then, too. However, when you look at it in this, the ESV- indeed in any other of the English translations I have on the e-Sword I use- it makes perfect sense. I don't remember what my Bible's version was that made it a bit obtuse, but what matters is: If the Bible you are using has a verse that confuses you, don't just shake your head- check other versions, check the commentaries, until you either have a grasp of it or a reason why it's confusing. Don't give up!
 
NOTE: After the fact, I realized the problematic verse was 10, not 5- but the point isn't affected by the error.  In fact, had I listened to myself... -C
 
 
 
The Better Part, day #98:
 
There is an old saying, and apparently evidence runs both for and against, that it takes more muscles to frown than to smile. No, I'm not switching to anatomy here, but if true it makes a point about something. Some things we do naturally, there's an easier way to do it that we just didn't realize; then when we see how much easier it is, we do it all the time. I think that believing in Jesus is this same way. 
 
Think on this: God is Father, Son, and Spirit. The great leaders of the New Testament were Paul, the cerebral, logical, step by step man; Peter, the human, full of love and mistakes, but always following in the footsteps; and John, the mystic, who was alone able to grasp the mysteries of Revelation- each one a reflection, Paul of Father, Peter of Son, John of Spirit. Likewise the OT is dominated by the teachings of three men: Abraham, the Father of believers; Moses, who led by his example; and David, in whose Psalms the intimacy of what Christ went through is shown.
 
Given that these strong reflections of Father Son and Spirit reside in BOTH testaments, I would think it would take a lot more "muscle" to deny and reject than to see them throughout history and believe.
 

2 comments:

  1. I think day 95 is lost on so many. That there is a consequence in every action, a side to every story. There is tragedy on so many levels... and prayer is needed for all who survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for not replying sooner- I wanted to think about this, and then life got in the way. You are absolutely spot on here... I have learned that a lot of the reason for that is that the way we see things on our own and how God sees them are exactly or nearly opposites.

      Delete