What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, May 28, 2021

Time Machine co-ordinates VICLXXXIII67852873

 





Hopefully, Ill be able to put our famous logo up here later, but for right now, Blogger has it's finger you know where yet again.  They can't have these problems on normal, run of the mill days, no siree, just when I put together the most important post of every week.  But I digress.  Today we go to May 28th, 1973- a day when the newspapers trumpeted that the San Diego Padres baseball team had been sold and would be moved to Washington (the baseball equivalent at that time of, "this trick never works!").  Not long after, the city won a verdict that would keep that ownership group on the hook for the remaining 15 years of their lease of what would one day be called Jack Murphy Stadium (ironically, Jack was the sportswriter who penned the article I read in the San Diego Union.)  Given this, the DC contingent withdrew and the team was sold to McDonalds chief Ray Kroc.


And, I'd put a picture in here, but of course, Blogger...  Ah, there's how to outwit the nitwit- look it up online and paste!  I'll show you, lol!


"And you'll show me, too!  ha ha!"

And with that, I've made an editorial decision- we are going to do a top ten on charting songs that had something to do with pictures or photographs!  But first, I'm gonna eat some dinner- and I'm locking the board so none of the Staples Singers come in and mess with the board!


EP:  Exceptin' that I have a key!  I Bet you din't know there's a secret backwards message on my song, Love Me Tender!  Here, let me play some of it...


Evol em rednet, evol em teews, reven tel em og; uoy evah edam ym efil etelpmoc...


Just WHAT do you think you're doing?

EP: Er, nothing, boss... I was...

Here do something productive- sort these songs by chart position!  In the meantime, assuming I can share a video, here's the week's only debut- and it is this year's Eurovision winner!  From Italy, here's Maneskin at #9....


***********************************************


And THAT even gave me a fight!



Everybody, say hello to Mavis Staples! Mavis, one amazing thing I saw was you dated Bob Dylan!

Yes, he even asked Pops to marry me... didn't go so well.  I felt like I was too young, even though I was 24, and he was younger than me!

So here for your first time amid all this madness, you get a 23-song, 61- station Panel with five finalists, but really only a 2-song battle. Would you like to do the honors?

Sure... but not much of a pre-interview.  Did I do something wrong?

No... just trying to keep my mind on I'll Take You There, and not Let's Do It Again...

Hee hee... I can see where there'd be a conflict there!  Just remember, where I come from, you're only 11, and where you come from, I'm 72!

True dat!  Here's the list...

All right, sweetie, here is everybody's choices this week...

The #22 song this week on Cashbox, Billy Preston and Will It Go Round In Circles...

The # 1 song, Edgar Winters and Frankenstein...

The #2- Paul McCartney's My Love...

The #64, and on it's way down- Sweet and Little Willy...

And finally, the #6, Elton John and Daniel!


Thanks, Mavis!  So Elvis, you got that list yet?

Yeah, but I see you went off the 'Martin Era 2.0' on someovem...

Yeah, I went with a few close outsiders that I thought might be worth it, to beef up the list.  So what we end up with is a hastily researched, possibly not exhaustive, and creatively adjusted, set of 12 top 40 hits that had something about pictures or photographs in the song itself, not necessarily the tile.  Chart peaks are from Billboard, and ties are broken at my discretion.  Here we go...

12- Video Killed The Radio Star, the Buggles, #40.

11- Turning Japanese, the Vapors, #36.

10- Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You), A Flock Of Seagulls, #26.

9- I'll Wait, Van Halen, #13.

8- Photograph, Def Lepperd, #12.

7- Pictures Of Matchstick Men, Status Quo, also #12.

6- Peg, Steely Dan, #11.

5- Freeze Frame, J Geils Band, #4.

4- Traces, Classics IV, #2.

3- Kodachrome, Paul Simon, also #2.


Before I do the top 2, which are both #1s, honorable mention for a song that didn't chart- and should have- Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells A Story.

In fact, let's save those top two for the reveal, and see if Horace Bellbottom can wing a 6D tonight.  Horace?


Yes, let me have a look here... Ah, yes, this will do.  Here is a football card you've likely never seen...


This is, as the card reads, Ted Dushinski.  He was a Hall-Of-Fame defensive back for the Saskatchewan Rough Riders of the Canadian League, a member of the 1966 Grey Cup winners.  The reason for his inclusion in a music post is he was the second husband, from 1980 till his passing, of Susan Jacks, best known as singer for the Poppy Family.


And Susan's band recorded a song called Which Way You Goin' Billy, a song that was first going to be sung by first husband Terry Jacks under the title Which Way You Goin' Buddy (with, no doubt, somewhat different lyrics).  The bass on that tune was played by one Doug Edwards, a guitarist who played several years with the band Chilliwack, and before that, became a top forty co-writer when a policeman friend gave a bandmate a stack of poems he had written to see if one could be turned into a song.  The policeman's name was Dave Richardson; the band was called Skylark, and the song at #9 without a Panel vote this week, was called Wildflower.  I seem to be getting quite a talent for this!


That you are!  Now, it's time for Mavis, here, to do the Overseas If You Please, and the Big Mover...

Thank you, darling!  In Australia, Dawn's Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'Round The Old Oak Tree was #1.  The UK had former ELO founder Roy Wood's band Wizzard on top with See My Baby Jive.  In New Zealand it was Roberta Flack's Killing Me Softly. Little Willy was on top of the Canadian charts, and in South Africa it was Cat Stevens with Can't Keep It In.  And our Cashbox chart's big mover was George Harrison and Give Me Love, up 26 notches to #26.


Thanks, and I hope we see you again on the Beauty Contest this year!

I think that can be arranged...


So that brings us to the remaining M10 this week...


10- Falling 3 is The Explorer's Club and Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy.

8- Up one for the Tea Party and Summertime.

7- Also up one for Trini Lopez and Lalena.

6- Falling 3, the 3-time #1 Happy by Redspencer.

5- and holding Major Murphy and Attention.

4- Up a pair, Michael Sweet's Challenge The Gods.

3- Up one, POWERS and Legendary.

2- Back up one spot, Blackberry Smoke and Ain't The Same.


And still at #1....



...Overcoats, with Tennis, and The Hardest Part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And how about the picture list?

2- Centerfold, J Geils Band...


...and #1 by my choice...





Ringo Starr and Photograph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And as for the Panel...


Billy Preston, Sweet, and Elton all got you 6.5%...

Edgar Winter got you 14.75%...

And the winner, with 19.67%....


...Paul McCartney and My Love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Will we make it two legit guests in a row next week?  Will we be able to even post this week's post?  Tune in next time and find out!

4 comments:

  1. fun to read.

    I wrote about inductees into the R & R hall of fame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed. The R&RHOF is so frustrating I gave up comment on it.

      Delete