What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, June 25, 2021

Time Machine co-ordinates VICXXXVII68262576

 



Today we at last move into 1976- June 25th, 1976 to be precise- and to be more precise, the day the movie The Omen opened.  Harvey Stephens, who played Damien, won the part because, when asked to attack director Richard Donner 'just like he would attack Lee Remmick in the movie', he gave Donner a foot in the family jewels.  (Somehow doubting he'd have done that to Lee...). When they made the redo in 2006, he played a reporter in a cameo.  Throw in a bit as a younger version of painter Emile Bernard in Gaugin the Savage, and you have his entire cinematic career.


"At least I wasn't typecast..."



So welcome to Time Machine for this week... and welcome back, Toni...

"Hi sweetie..."

I see no Captain again...

And I see no Elvis, so this might be some kinda fun....

Oh, it will be, because we're approaching the Panel in a brand new way this week!  Plus more of the Top songs of M10 Summertime, and...

Not exactly what I...

AND, it's time for the first of 3 debuts on that M10!  Yes, I survived the great Spotify battle ( a story I'll tell at some other point) and was able to bring in 3 newbies, and here's the first!  Replacing an act "with Tennis" is a different act with Tennis!  Here is Griffith James...




******************************************

So what's this new deal for this week?

Well, I picked out songs five at a time that I thought Laurie knew on this week's hot 100 (NOTE:  Actually last week's, but you're in a Time Machine so play along), and had her play "keep or pitch".  Then we went through the keepers of each and had her select just 2 for each group of five survivors.  That left her 14 songs she favorited, (which spell check says isn't a word), and I hit up the Panel for their top ten appearances.  This, when scored by 10-9-8, gave us three groups of songs: a Final four, an "also receiving votes", and ones that didn't make any of the Panel top tens.  So first, I'm gonna tell ya group #3- then a little later, the second- and finally, I'll let you in on the final four, which you can guess a winner from!  Prior to the show, the staff and all made their guesses as to who would win, and I'll share them, too!

Do I get to guess?

Sure, take a look at the song list here while I run us the next set of the Songs of M10 Summer all time!  First, though, I should mention that in the current M10, Matthew Sweet's Challenge The Gods moves in to a tie at 37th, and Maneskin's Zitti e Buoni moves into a 5-way tie for 40th.  Which means Dami Im and one of the tunes in that tie are officially out of the rankings...

I can't believe you'd do that to me...

Hey, it's nothing personal, now beat it!

Um, anyway, back to the list....

30- Moon Taxi, Two High.  It was their first time on the M10, and debuted this week in 2017, climbing to #2.

29- Hazel English, Five And Dime.  The first of 2 #1s- only one on the list, though- for last summer's breakout newbie.  She ascended the throne at the end of last July.

Great.  Can we move on?

Jealousy is so ugly, Toni.  28- The Beths, Jump Rope Gazers.  This became me and Misty's song last year, hitting the top right after Five And Dime in mid August.

And now, debut #2, coming in at #9. This is the return of- The Joy Formidable:




*****************************************

Wow, if you could only see the mess of notes this show is taking!

I can.  Are you ALWAYS this 'organized'?

This is pretty much the far fringes of acceptable organization tonight!  So now it's time for me to reveal the first group of Laurie's picks- the ones that never got a top ten Panel vote, and what their highest place was.  Before I start...

You sure are putting in a lot of those tonight...

And you're kinda starting to sound like Elvis...

My God, you're right....

Anyway, I wanted to give Hall of Shame mention to stations WDNG in Anniston AL, and KRIZ in Phoenix for being the only stations to chart NONE of Laurie's picks...

SAL-OOT!

Peter Frampton, Baby I Love Your Way, charted as high as #25 on this week's Panel... and that was Elvis pick.  Too bad, buddy!
England Dan and John Ford Coley, I'd Really Love To See You Tonight, charting also as high as #25.
The one of Laurie's picks that caught me outta left field, Foghat and Fool For The City, as high as #15.
ELO and Strange Magic- my all time favorite, BTW- as high as #18.
And, Thin Lizzy with The Boys Are Back In Town, as high as #11.

Now, Toni, How's about you give us 4 more of the All-time Summer M10?

About time you let me do someth- scratch that.  I DO sound too much like Sequins!

27- Dent May, I Could Use A Miracle.  Another one from 2020, it peaked at #3 in August.

26- Geowulf, Sunday.  Wow, she is pretty! This hit #1 at the start of August 2018.

25- The Explorer's Club, Didn't Want To Have To Do It.  This member of last year's Cover Summer began July at the top.

And 24- Brooke Annibale- isn't she the one that one the Beauty Contest?

Um, yeah...

She is here with Home Again.  She was up there with The Beths, and Ms English, peaking at #2 in August last year.

Nice job, Toni.  Next up, here are the songs that got votes on Laurie's List- just not enough. In ascending order:

Barry Manilow, Trying To Get The Feeling.
Lou Rawls, You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine, which was Horace's pick.
Heart, Crazy On You, which was Laurie's pick.
Elvin Bishop Band, Fooled Around And Fell In Love, which was Nardole's pick...

I wonder why they took what they took...

Well, when last Nardole was seen on Dr Who, he was stuck on a damaged Cyberman ship caught in a time warp, with a village of simple folk, one of whom was a lady he became infatuated with... Elvis was probably singing Baby I Love Your Way to himself... and Horace tends to more classical tastes. 

 Anyway, the last song on this list is the Doobies and Taking It To The Streets, and that means it's time for one more debut- this time at #8.  Here is Maybird...






*********************************************

I think we should do the finalists next!

I agree! So...

And I wonder why I've never won the Beauty Contest...

Well, you realize that Scrappy, and then Misty, make the final pick...

Yeah, but you've never even had me as a finalist...

Really?  I hadn't, er, noticed..   ANYway...

Here are your finalists, by alphabetical order...

Love Is Alive, Gary Wright...
Misty Blue, Dorothy More, which was my guess...
Andrea True, More More More... 

Which was my guess.  Wanna know why?

I can guess... and the final finalist, Henry Gross and Shannon- which was Misty's guess.

The dog thing?

The dog thing.  And now, time for the last Summer M10 hits this week...

23- Kidsmoke, And Mine Alone.  Number one this week in 2017.

22- Public Access TV, Monaco.  Same summer, and the second song on the list so far that got stuck at #2 behind a certain song in the top ten...

And 21- The Jayhawks, Everybody Knows.  One of three in the top 21 for the M10 version of the Eagles.


Toni, you want to do the rest of this week's M10 or the Panel winner?

Panel!

Okay, here are the remaining M10:

7- Brooke Annibale up 3 with Feels Like Home.
6- Challenge The Gods falls all the way here from the top in week #8.
5- Sass Jordan up 3 with The Key.
4- Beach Boys up 2 with Big Sur.
3- Up one for Counting Crows and Bobby And The Rat Kings.
2- Back up into the runner up slot, Trini Lopez and Lalena.

And the new #1, straight from Eurovision...


...Maneskin    (Pronounced "moan-EH-skin") with Zitti e Buoni (roughly "zitchi eee boney")!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, Toni, who won the Laurie contest?

We're calling it "the Laurie contest?"

I thought "the contest Chris put a lot of work into for 6 people to read contest" was a bit clunky...

Uh, yeah... so fourth went to Love is Alive... third to Shannon... 

(Misty:  BARK!)

second was Andrea True... damn it!  That means the winner was Chris's pick....



Dorothy Moore's Misty Blue!

So, that was fun... but I don't think I want to do it again next week!

Oh, that's too, too bad!  I guess Elvis and I will muddle through, somehow...

2 comments: