What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, July 2, 2021

Time Machine co-ordinates VICXXXVIII6837277

 



Today, we head for July 2nd, 1977, and drop in at the Oakland Coliseum for Day On The Green #4 for that year...


These were on the grass concerts at the Coliseum, staged every year from 1973.  Today's lineup saw Frampton and Skynyrd headline, with Santana and the Outlaws opening.  I was going to talk about what was on the setlists, but after the headliners (who played all their big ones), info was sketchy to non existent.  However, I did see a comment- "all that for $11" which got me looking, and even without a Frampton concert in the offing, the cheapest seats available for the other three, playing separately, right now would total $138- and some SINGLE shows hit that!


Luckily for you Time Machine is still free, and I have no intention to change that here in our last 17 weeks.  However, one thing that will change next week is the co-ordinates- that VICXXXVIII will be changing to VII-I!  That's right, I'm making such a radical change that those seventeen weeks will be known as Volume 7- and the days of the Panel are done!  But as for this week, the winner would have been Alan O'Day's Undercover Angel- BUT we decided that we would change it up like last week.  But instead of me putting Laurie through that process of elimination, it was her putting ME through it!


Unlike last week though, we had a clear winner, a clear second, a pile of "also receiving votes", and only one that got the shaft from the Panel!  And since I have but one debut to play this week, I'm going to play you that song that got no Panel votes!





***********************************


Welcome, Dorothy Moore!

Thank you, I guess... I think I'm a bit confused...

Elvis:  Well, you came to the right place!

Yeah, I can't argue that.. but let me try to run it down.  Instead of doing things our usual way- which I won't bother to explain since we aren't doing it anymore- what we did is Laurie read me off groups of songs out of the Hot 100 for this week in 1977.  I gave her "in" or "out" until we got the list down to 14- just like we did with her last week.  So what we are going to do is whittle THAT down to a Final Four, based on where the charts from our Panel list ranked them in the top ten- if they did.

Well, that's as clear as Mississippi mud!  What is it you want me to do?

Elvis:  After three weeks of Toni Tennille, we'd be happy if'n you just SAT there!

No comment on that... But actually, the first thing you get to do as a guest is read off the first three of this week's Top songs of M10 summer!

'Top songs of..."

Yes, I do my own top ten, in my time period, and we put together a list of...

"...my time period..."

Elvis:  Boss, I think she's going into shock...

Well, we haven't had one do that in a while- not since Nelson Riddle got scared about being exposed about his affair with Rosemary Clooney and jumped ship!

EP:  Come on, sugar, ah'll take ya down to the commissary and get ya some nice sweet tea...

So I guess that leaves me to do the first three of the M10 top hits of summer this week!

20- Shilpa Ray, Shoot This Dying Horse.  A one off single, she peaked at #2 in late June 2018.

19- courtship., Sunroof. a perfect summer song, it hit the top for most of July 2017.

18- The Monkees, You Bring The Summer.  Amazingly, this one charted this high only getting to #3- and that in week #8, in August 2016!

And that reminds me to let you know how this year's crop are doing!  Matthew Sweet's Challenge The Gods, which had a large part of its points before the summer start, will hold at #39 (which means it falls off the M10 this week), while Zitti E Buoni has tied for #34, and Trini Lopez and Lalena will move into #36 just behind it!


**************************************************************

Nardole:  Do you wish me to fetch another co-host?

Nah, we can handle it!  So everyone knows the one 0 as far as Panel top tens this week,  and now, I thought I'd go through the "also receiving votes" list...

From low to high...

ELO, Telephone Line
Hall and Oates, Back Together Again
Waylon Jennings, Lukenbach, Texas (Back To The Basics Of Love)
Marshall Tucker Band, Heard It In A Love Song
...and Yvonne Elliman, Hello Stranger.

I was going to have only 4 finalists, but since there's a tie along the way, there will be five!  Nardole, could you let everybody know how the staff's guesses have fared so far?

I know why you had me do this- because Laurie's guess was Almost Like A Song!  Also, Barrister Bellbottom took Telephone Line; You yourself took one of the other songs that did not get a top ten, The Eagles and Hotel California (highest position on the Panel was #18)...


EP:  Well good, no second win for him!

Nardole:  The other 2 songs which got Panel votes but not top tens were Glen Campbell's Southern Nights, best score # 16...

EP:  Hey, I almost Took that one!

Nardole:... and Kiss and Calling Dr Love at #17.

EP:  Hey, I DID pick that one!!!

Nardole:  Oh, well done! I myself took Back Together Again- a logical choice for someone whose head is removable- and Misty is our lone contestant to make the finals!

Darn doggie!  Anyway, here's that long awaited lone debut- and it's the long awaited new single from Journey! At #10....





************************************************

EP:  Hey, the boss plum fergot the next four of the M10 songs of Summer!

17- The Pom Poms, Betty. This Roy Orbison- feeling song by a female vocalist was #1 about this time in 2016.

16- Quiet Hollers, Funny Ways. A funny way ta sneak in a Zombies- Time Of The Season tribute... it was another one what muddled all over the chart, peaking at 2 in August of 2016.

15- Agnes Obel, Familiar. This little girl from Denmark started big things with this tune, at the top in July an' August of 2016.

...and #14- Northern Faces, Messin' With Me. The first of their 2 songs ta hit the top, this'n in July of 2017, an' the highest of the 2 on this here countdown.


Are you finished, bud?

Yep, got 'em all in!

And how's our guest?

I got her lyin' down fer a bit.  I'll go check on her...

If she gets lost in here, it's your...

I got it, I got it! Sheesh!

All righty, then, let's give you the final four for my picks this week.  Again, in alphabetical order...

Angel In Your Arms, Hot...
Ariel, Dean Friedman...
Cinderella, Firefall...
Peace Of Mind, Boston...
and Misty's pick... aw, You And Me by Alice Cooper!

There is a secret to be told about this list- but I don't wanna spoil your picking yet, so...

Dorothy Moore:  Hello... I'm so embarrassed...

Don't be- half our audience feels like this after one of these posts!

I'd like to, well, do at least part of my job...

Okay, why don't you just hang on a bit, and you can do the big reveal!  In the meantime, Elvis, you get the last three of this week's M10 summer songs...

EP:  Gotcha!  Here we go...

13- M.A.G.S, Drugs.   The shortest #1 in the M10, he hit the top first week of August 2019.

12- The Orwells, Last Days In August.  And they hit the top that very next week!

11- Black Joe Lewis an' the Honeybears, Nature's Natural.  He topped the chart in late July 2018.  An' that leaves the top ten....

Which will be part of the Volume Seven kickoff next week!  And speaking of top tens, here's the rest of this week's M10....

9- And holding, The Joy Formidable and Back To Nothing.
8- And holding, Maybird and Alice Listen To The Birds Sing.
7- Moving up 3, Griffith James with Tennis and Market And Black.
6- Up one, Brooke Annibale and Feels Like Home.
5- Down three, Trini Lopez and Lalena.
4- And holding, the Beach Boys and Big Sur.
3- Up 2, Sass Jordan and The Key.
2- Up one, Counting Crows and Bobby And The Rat Kings.


And a second week at #1 for....




Maneskin and Zitti E Buoni!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, Dorothy... take it slow...

I've got it now, Chris... so the big secret was that alphabetical order was the way they finished!  So the winner by a wide margin was...  





...Hot, and Angel In Your Arms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, Dorothy, you are the very last guest to appear as a Panel pick! 

I'm sorry I couldn't do a better job... this time travel makes no sense to me!

Elvis:  Us either!

Next week- a whole new Time Machine for the homestretch!  Be there!

1 comment:

  1. Some songs here that I haven't heard of before.but liked so thank you

    ReplyDelete