What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Sunday Message: Forgiving with right motives






It struck me a day or so ago that, while I have really progressed at echoing Jesus's prayer on the Cross- "Forgive them, Father, they know not what they do"- for people seemingly headed to hell, I haven't progressed in the attitude needed to have that prayer heard.  I asked myself- perhaps unfairly- was I asking it because I wanted the people turned to repentance and saved, or was I just 'doing my job'?  Or worse, was I 'collecting good works'?  Honestly, I wasn't sure.


I set out this morning to try and find out.  At the core of the question was, how close am I to the reason God wants me to pray for the lost, from 2 Peter:

2Pe 3:8  But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
2Pe 3:9  The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.


God wants ALL men saved- but not all want to take advantage of that saving.  Among them, I suppose, are many of the pedophiles, sex criminals, and murdering terrorists that we have to really work at praying for.  And among them, I suppose, are another group of people we might not always think of.  This is what I came to as I relied on the Spirit to try and help me work it out.  Last night, my son reminded me of a trip to Promise Keepers years ago, a trip which taught me to "talk" to my deceased father in order to learn how to forgive him.  The concept helped there, so I was led to apply it this morning in a way to dope this thing out.  So I went to the bark park and had a 'talk' with "Nancy Pelosi".  Don't worry, this isn't about to turn political.  I merely picked her as an example of someone who claims 'religion' (being a Catholic at least in name), but doesn't seem to live it.

In this talk, three things occurred that helped my understanding.  One was the last thing "she" said to me- "What I believe works well enough for me."  And there are a lot of people who say that very thing, perhaps at the end of every time they read these posts.  But the question is:  does it work for God?  Because, if there is no heaven and hell, John Lennon, then fine is fine.  But that's not what Jesus taught; and if there is a heaven and hell, that philosophy has no chance of getting you to heaven and you might as well believe nothing at all.

The second thing was the last thing I said to 'her': "My job isn't to change your mind, that's your choice.  My job is to show you you HAVE a choice- and you're making it."  By asking the Father to forgive them, we are asking God to apply that forgiveness to them- but they have to choose to accept it or not.

And the third thing, as "she" left, was a single word that came to me:  "Jonah".  Which is fairly ironic, as it is the next book I am studying for the Wednesday posts.  Jonah went to Nineveh- eventually- preaching repentance to people he hoped WOULDN'T listen.  He had repented in the whale's belly just enough to OBEY God... but as the last chapter showed, not enough to do it from loving motives.  Which was okay, God accepted that, and the mission was a success to Him.  BUT, it brought no joy to Jonah, when it should have brought him great joy to see the thousands of people his obedience saved from destruction.  And that final application here is this- if God hears prayers even with suspect motives (not selfish ones, just less-than-noble ones), how much greater is the joy from praying with right motives- and how much of that joy do I lose with MY motives?

2 comments:

  1. I'm getting a redirect notice when I click the link to your post, and my original comment vanished into Electronic Thombolia, never to return. I'll try again.

    This is a very good missive, CW. Thank you for your efforts.

    My old pastor emphasized that the motive behind any thought, word, or deed was important. I might help someone and give all credit to The Lord, but if my motivation isn't righteous then my actions may not be pleasing to the Lord.

    I've never read about Jonah much, and it looks as though I certainly should. As you point out, my job is not to change someone's mind, but to show them alternatives. We're held responsible for what we know.

    I think that motivation is particularly true in prayer. I may pray for something, but if my motivation is wrong, what then?

    Keep up the good work.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want more Jonah, tune in Wednesday for Jonah chapter 4. God outdid himself on this one! BTW, it did the same thing on this reply...

      Delete