What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Sunday, August 8, 2021

The Better Part, week #32

 


On a Sunday when the inspiration just wasn't there to start, be sure to pay attention to the last one- the reminder that God is still with me, taking joy in obedience.


The Better part, day # 171:
 
Spent the morning reminding myself over and over: I don't need to know the things I cannot understand; I need to understand the things God wants me to know.
 
 
 
The Better Part, Day #172:
 
One good sign we have a Living, Loving God: When you pour out your heart over something one day, and a pastor virtually reads God's reply out of the Bible the next...
 
 
The Better Part, Day #173:
 
Today was one of the more discouraging days of work I've had in a while. At 3 pm (right after last break) is when I usually do my "prayer group" praying- for our Summer prayer group and missions at Emanuel Community Church- but I was in such a state, I knew I needed help with me first. 
 
 As I poured it out to God, He had me think about that about 90% of my discouragement came because of one thing- my past. Growing up, I was taught a good faith and moral perspective on the macro- level; but there were things on a more subtle level of morality- work ethic, perseverance, unselfishness- that didn't quite start taking till later, and those faults bent my attitudes in a bad direction. 
 
As I realized this, I realized that these were the kinds of things I needed to pray about for the schoolkids that our prayer group is focusing on this week- and everyone else's kids, too! That one realization turned a day Satan was winning on me to one that God won for the kids. Our God is an awesome God!
 
 
 
 
The Better Part, Day #174:
 
 
Psa 17:13 Arise, O Jehovah, go before his face and bow him down! Deliver my soul from the wicked, by Your sword,
Psa 17:14 from men, by Your hand, O Jehovah, from men of the world whose portion is in this life, and their belly You fill with Your treasure; they are satisfied with sons, and will leave their riches to their babes.
Psa 17:15 As for me, in righteousness I will look upon Your face; when I awaken, I shall be satisfied by Your image. 
 
 
That last line caught my attention this morning...as the commentators explained, and I suspected, the meaning is not in awaking from sleep, but from death to the new life. A reminder that what the worldly man sees as his gain will pass with his life on earth, the Christian will have his reward forever.

5 comments:

  1. You got me on everything.
    The thing that holds me back is the past, my past. My brain hangs onto my memories, pulls one out and I can't get rid of it.
    So good to see your name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to give it to God, and remember: God never attacks you on sin- that's Satan, the name meaning "Accuser". God lovingly- but sternly- reproves and forgives.

      Delete
  2. "work ethic, perseverance, unselfishness-"

    yes, the youth of today seriously need to learn this... even the ones that were brought up with strong values are easily swayed by the vast majority that have no idea the value of work, or how to put their stupid cell phones away.

    ReplyDelete