What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, August 20, 2021

Time Machine co-ordinates VII-VII69090-95

 


Just 10 Time Machines after this one, and this week to spread out the choices a little more, I got the big idea of pulling something we've never done before- a 90s show!  That's right, this week we applied the Volume 7 method we've been using to the Cashbox hot 100s of their last years- 1990-95- and got 11 songs that met my criteria.  Wanting more, I then went through the Billboard hot 100s of those years and got 10 more!


Why is that all I've got?  Well, honestly, the 90s were assuredly not my era- I spent most of it listening to country and alternative.  So it was a little harder to get a good list... and doing it this way, since I did the Cashbox songs (which only had a top 50 at this point) first, the Billboard contingent won't have a chance at the final.  So, I'll be mixing it all up before you get to your final picks... somehow...  At any rate, I asked Nardole to get us someone big from the 90s to co-host this week, and... Elvis, why are you laughing?

EP:  Oh, just wait'll you see this one...  Bring 'im out, Noodle!



Ha ha, Hi, Kids!  Uh... kids?


BARNEY?  YOU GOT ME BARNEY?


Nardole:  I don't know why you're shouting- he fits both of your requirements...

EP:  'Ceptin' the one you keep fergittin' about- has to do with music!

N:  Sir, I thought you told me you were involved in music!

B:  Huhhuh, well I am!  I have 19 albums, and three made the Billboard 200!  One even went to #9!

EP:  'Fraid he's gotcha, slim!

Well, if we're gonna go down, go down big, I guess!  Alright, Barney, tell us about that big hit lp!

B: Well, it was called 'Barney's Favorites, volume one', and it had My intro theme at the start, and I Love You at the end, and gosh, 25 songs in between!  My Buddy Bob West did my singing parts, and was also Chuck E. Cheese; Julie Johnson did my friend Baby Bop and went on tour doing a show called A Closer Walk With Patsy Cline!

Fan-tastic!  So right about now, I would play our first debut, but, as luck today would have it, the M10 HAS no debuts this week! So maybe this would be a good time to look at what happened today in ONE of these years...


EP:  I got it, Boss!  Well in 1991, we were in day two of the attempt to overthrow Mikhail Gorbachev at the hands of a provisional government calling itself the State Committee On The State Of Emergency... trust me, it sounds just as stupid in Russian...


"We should have called it 'chto za kucha idiotov'..."

EP: An' whilst they was doin' that, Estonia declared independence...

B:  I remember that!  They were leaving the Soviet Union faster than raptors leaving Mexico before the meteor hit!

(Whispering to Nardole) This show is dying, and you're next!

N:  Perhaps this will help, sir...

Let me see... seriously? this is the best you can..., oh well, might as well go with it!  Barney!  Front and center!

B:  Yes, Mr Martin?

Here, Nardole has found a source for "kiddie songs that hit the Hot 100".  Would you mind regaling us with it?

B:  But Mr Martin, I haven't properly warmed up my voice...

No, do NOT sing them.  Just. Read. The. List.

B:  Huhhuh, of course!  This list was compiled by Gary Trust, senior director of charts at Billboard, and these are the children's songs he found that charted....


He says that Julie Andrews hit #66 in 1965 with Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious...

My buddy Kermit The Frog hit #25 with Rainbow Connection in 1979...

Also at #25, Kenny Loggins and Return To Pooh Corner in 1994, a rework of his song House At Pooh Corner, which the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band charted in 1971...

I wouldn't necessarily call that a kids song, but go on...

Kermit's friend Ernie got to #16 with Rubber Duckie in 1970...

Idina Menzel sang the song Let It Go from Frozen in 2014, and it got to #5...

Ah, so that's why she made that Geico commercial!  I knew she had to be famous for something!

And he named two songs by Alvin and the Chipmunks, The Christmas Song at #1 and Alvin's Harmonica at #3!

Wait, no Childrens Marching Song?  No Snoopy and the Red Baron?  No Puff The Magic Dragon?  And no mention of one of my all time favorites...





*******************************************

EP:  An' that's 'savin' the show,' Boss?

Let's see you top it!

EP:  All righty!  A one an' a two...



**************************************************
N:  Perhaps we should get back to the show, sirs...

Yes indeed!  Barney, the list of songs, leaving off the 4 at the top and the two at the bottom!

B:  Yes, sir!  Huhhuh! And there ion alphabetical order, because that's special!

Sheryl Crow, All I Wanna Do from 1995...
Black Velvet, Allanah Myles, 1990...
Good, Better Than Ezra (aw, poor Ezra!), 1995...
Hold My Hand, Hootie and the Blowfish, 1995...
Janie's Got A Gun, Aerosmith, 1990...
Love Shack, the B52s, 1990... I might like that!

EP:  Don't bet on it, Grapester...

B: Okay, Huhhuh! Mary Jane's Last Dance, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, 1994...
Mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm, Crash Test Dummies, 1994...(Must be a hum-along!)
Hey, here's those B52s again with Roam from 1990...
Runaway Train by Soul Asylum, 1993...
Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana from 1992...
What's Up? by Four Non Blondes, 1993... is this about Bugs Bunny?

Uh, no...

B: That's too bad, because Bugs is fun!  Now, where was I?
Wicked Game, Chris Isaak, 1991... that doesn't sound like a fun game at all!
Scorpions, Winds Of Change, 1991...
and finally, Tom Petty again and You Don't Know How It Feels, 1995!

EP:  All right, fat boy, giddoudda the way, it's time for Horace Bellbottom an' the 6D!


HB:  Thank you for a most subdued introduction, as I prefer!  The Last tune that my former employers, the Beatles, sang before a paying audience was Paul channeling Little Richard on Long Tall Sally.  In a tribute to their time in Hamburg, the movie Backbeat, the real Paul McCartney was upset that this was sung in the movie by the singer voicing "John", the Afghan Wigs singer Greg Dulli. 

I'm sorry, pardon me, Horace.  I just got to slip in here and give the four finalists.  Is it...

Only Wanna Be With You, Hootie and the Blowfish, 1995...
Run Around from Blues Traveller, 1995...
Stay by Lisa Loeb, 1994...
...or Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers from 1992?  All right, carry on...

HB:  I should have known something along those lines would happen.  At any rate...



 It should have been the one voicing his songs, one Dave Pirner of Soul Asylum.  And Soul Asylum had the lowest song on its year's hot 100, their song Misery from 1993, with a hot 100 ranking of 99.  Mr... er, Dinosaur... would you care to get the Overseas If You Please... er, if you please.

B:  Why sure, Mr Beltbuckle!  The second lowest song was the Gin Blossoms and Hey Jealousy at #95 on the 1993 chart, so we look at the songs at #1 around the world this week in 1993:

In Canada, it was UB40's cover of I Can't Help Falling In Love With You...
In New Zealand for just one week during the 11-out of-12 week run of UB40 there, it was Hammond Gamble's Red Nose Band with You Make The Whole World Smile!  Oh, I LOVE that one!
In Australia, UB40 was in its 7th week at #1...
Sadly, we can't find anything for South Africa after 1989...
And in England it was Freddie Mercury with Living On My Own.


All right, thank you Barney the Purple Dinosaur!  Now, let me knock out the M10 real quick:

10- Still hanging on after dropping 3, Gerry Rafferty and Slow Down.
9- And again, up one with Lost Highway.
8- Sagittarius gets stuck with In My Room...
7- Weezer falls from 2 with Tell Me What You Want....
6- Slipping one is Redspencer and Big deal...
5- Shooting up 4, Duran Duran and More Joy!
4- Also stuck, the Ventures and Theme From A Summer Place.
3- Up 3 is illuminati Hotties and u v v p.
2- Up one is courtship. and Fuzzy.

And holding on to #1....



... the Black Pumas and Wichita Lineman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And how about that final four?

EP:  Yeah, how about it?  You never gave it!

Crap!  Again?  Let me go back up and put it in...

Ok, there we go, and Horace isn't too upset!  Read 'em off, buddy!

EP:  Assuming we have an audience left...

Hootie was #18 on the 1995 chart...

Under The Bridge was #5 in '92, Run Around was #5 in 1995...


An' #2 in 1994...



Lisa Loeb and Stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All right, y'all, Chris's dinner just arrived, so see ya next week for the start of the final ten!

1 comment: