What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Saturday, January 8, 2022

I'm about ready to swear off the outside world...

 Let me tell you about my Saturday...

Temps in the teens (but rising), I head to our local Kroger.  Despite the chronically depleted shelves, I found most of what I went for, with the exception of my Pepsi Zero Sugar (which is going through the usual bi-monthly cycle of "we're gonna be out all over Fort Wayne for the next two weeks").   As I couldn't grab a bottle to go home on, I went to my usual back-up: a small bottle of chocolate milk.  Guess what?  After excusing myself to a couple who had to park their cart right in front of the case door I needed to have a conversation, I reached up- only to find but one bottle of chocolate AND PEANUT BUTTER milk.  Those of you that know me know that PB doesn't fly with me.


So on to the checkout, where, with a light load, I felt no problem getting into the shortest line behind two similarly loaded customers.  What I didn't know was, out of all the lanes open, mine was the only one with NO bagger, and thus the young man (named Blaze) had to blaze through checking out And bagging.  When I got up there, I thought to help make it go faster by trying to bag as soon as I ran my card.  But of course, I had to deal with the following derailments of my plan:

- Blaze didn't SEE me run my card. (stay tuned...)

- The damnable bags fought tooth and nail to NOT open.

-Finished, I go to leave (after telling a lady who finally came over to help bag, "Remind me not to hire in as a bagger", to which she replied, "I know, our bags suck") and Blaze says, "Sir, you didn't pay!"  I said yes I did, then he realized he hadn't seen me and thus hadn't hit the final button and printed my receipt.


Loading the bags in the trunk, a lady pulled up behind me.  Apparently she and a friend had shopped together, using the same cart, and pulled up trunk to trunk with said friend to divide their booty.  Knowing this would give me a problem backing out, I crossed the street on foot to the gas station in vain hopes of finding a PZS there.  The one thing that did go right happened then- by the time I got back to my car, the ladies had finished and the blocker was leaving.


Now, we get home, where I spend the distance through the complex following somebody in a Cube creeping along, looking for somebody they were trying to pick up (and of course was mere feet from MY door).  Laurie, who had stayed home this time, had asked me to call her when I got home so she could help (and pretty much all I needed was the door opened), but of course when I tried to call, I get "Your balance is low".  Queue up ten minutes once inside fighting with AT&T over passwords they won't accept and enough frustration that 2 hours later Misty STILL won't sit next to me while I'm typing, and I check Twitter.  


Our local meteorologist Tweets that our oncoming chances of rain and freezing rain are just a couple hours out.  I check Weather Underground and they agree- but the radar shows nothing for hundreds of miles.  So I gather up Misty and say, "Let's take a walk before it gets nasty."  It is now 24F out.


Rain?  Not a cloud in the sky...

By the time we hit Dead Tree Road,here comes the front

Back of the woods- yeah, now I start to see it...

"This kinda sucks- but at least it's getting warmer..."

Same shot as the first, about 40 minutes later...

By the time we got to this point, it's 32F... and I'm ready for lunch.  Do what you will, o weather!

8 comments:

  1. The weather is all over the place all over the world

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shop Kroger for the pick up service, which is chancy at best. I'm thinking deliberate sabotage by the stock boys is a regular occurrence.

    I always specify no substitutions as a standard policy, but their software application defeats me. Last time the stock boy came out with my groceries, but made a substitution. He couldn't read the substitution hand out.

    I no longer wonder. I know we're getting the shaft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankly, I think it's a matter of trying to do smart things with a populace incapable of them.

      Delete
  3. Temps in the teens? Brrrr! Glad it "warmed up" a little as the day progressed. But who wants freezing rain? :( Winter truly sucks, doesn't it? Shopping isn't fun, either. I'm sure you were glad when that day was over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the 'freezing rain' turned out- at least here at the ol' homestead- to be about a half-hours worth of "very faintly shiny" on the edges of the sidewalk, but no more. Good thing too- it never rained hard, but it did rain all night, and if it woulda froze, I'm betting we'd have had a lot of power outages.

      Delete