What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, January 7, 2022

M10 show week #6

 



Elvis:  Man, this is six weeks a' doin' Time Machine Lite?

I prefer not to call it by that name, thanks... although this week, one of our two debuts IS from 1971...

More Tom Jones?

Not this time, buddy! Plus, I thought I'd start off a new year with a January M10 feature, so we got that coming, too!  But first, debut #1 of the week comes in at #10- and for the first time since someone ELSE on this week's list did it during the Cover Summer of 2020, this act has 3 songs on the ten at the same time!  From the first chapter of Once Twice Melody, here's the tenth all time hit from Beach House!



***************************************************** 

 

 So, what's this feature this week? 

The biggest hit of January on the M10! Now, to make it fair, months that four weeks of charts instead of five, I added the closest date to January to even things out.  Eight songs managed 40 points plus on our 10-9-8 system... the other seven were: Beach House's Beyond Love in '16, Puddle Of Mudd's Gimme Shelter in '17, Castlecomer's She's So High in '19, MGMT's In The Afternoon in '20, and last year's hit from Saintseneca, Ladder To The Sun, along with two songs that tied for second- The Decemberists and Travelling On from '19 and last year's Kitchen Table from Molly Parden.  And the biggest hit of January I'll reveal in... Hey, King? whereforth art thou?


Right here, thumbin' thru the books... I wanted to see if I ever had three in the top ten at the same time.

 

And?

Well the closest I came, far as I can see, was August of '56, when Hound Dog wuz #1, Don'T Be Cruel wuz #5, an' I Want You, I Need You I Love You wuz #12.  The week before, I Want You wuz #8 and Don't Be Cruel wuz #13.

 

Impressive!  You know, the Beatles....

I don' wanna hear about them dern Beatles!!!!!!

 

I know, I couldn't help myself.  Speaking of which, I couldn't help but be excited when I saw UK band Middle Of The Road had JUST released a single off their 1971 lp Acceleration!  It debuts on the 10 this week at #7....



*******************************************************

 

Sally Carr, boss, Sally Carr...

I know, right?  At any rate, let me get some of those pesky top tens, AKA the reason we're here...

 

9-  Beach House again down 3 in its 8th week with Once Twice Melody.

8- Also spending ( one would imagine) its 9th and last week on the chart down one, Duran Duran and Tove Lo with Give It All Up.

6- A third dropper with 7 weeks under its belt, down three for Geowulf's Open Me Up.

5- Leaping 5, the acid jazz of Matt Berry and Summer Sun.

4- Stuck at #4- for now- that other band that managed three songs in the ten- for three weeks that June and July- The Explorer's Club and Tragedy.

3- Leapfrogging TEC, Eddie Vedder up 2 with The Haves.

 

************************************

 

Okay, buddy, spin that disc!

You bet!  That song that has the most January points of all time- posting weeks of #3, #2, and three at the top....

 

 

********************************************************

 

 

That was a MAJOR earworm for me that winter, and sprung Tennis to major M10 stardom!

 

What about the top two, boss?

 

Well, that was the debate for the week, but I had to leave it status quo ante.  At #2 once again are Manchester Orchestra with Lucius and Inaudible; and at the top for a third week...

 


 ...once again, Beach House and ESP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Enjoy your weekend, kids!

1 comment: