What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

The relativity of "I'm hot, I'm cold"...

 It's cold here in Fort Wayne.  So I said to myself, where was the warmest spot in the world today (Monday)?  Answer was about as middle of nowhere as you can get...


Somewhere near the Urandangi Aerodrome, near the border between Queensland Australia and the Northern Territory, sits the Dangi Pub.  The high was recorded at the aerodrome, but if it's going to be 113.2 F (45.1C), I'm darn sure gonna be at the pub!  Lets get a review of the establishment...


Good host, great tour guide, cheap beer, free meals if you lend a hand, great showers, roosters that think they are blue heelers, baby kangaroos to help feed. All round a place worth visiting. Our Dog loved the lawn. Camping should have a surcharge, even if it's a donation to RFS. THANKS PAM for a beautiful stay.

For those not hip to the lingo, the RFS is basically what we yanks would call the local Volunteer Fire department.   Pam got quite a few compliments, so good on her!   By contrast, Fort Myers FL had the US high today, some 26 degrees cooler than the Dangi.


In the mean time, as I type Monday it is a balmy 16.3F here at Martin Central, and that means I should probably go visit the coldest place in the world today, just so I don't whine about it.



Nestled between Rabbitkettle Lake and the river of the same name is the Rabbitkettle Automated Reporting Station in Canada's Northwest Territories.  Nearly 3,000 miles NW of Martin Central ( a 52- hour drive, says Google), it dropped to -63F today, almost 50 degrees colder than the South Pole was.

This is -52.8C, proving once again that after a certain point, cold is cold.  In trying to learn more about the area, which is in or near a national park, I found there is a campground, with the following description...

There are no public roads inside Nahanni National Park Reserve, there are several ambitious and demanding overland routes.

 

I also learned they are near a set of mountains called "the Cirque of the Unclimbables"...

 


  ...so this is really looking like a fun alternative to Pokagon.  In the states, the coldest Monday was Badoura, Mn, which is... well, imagine you're throwing a dart at the center of Minnesota and you miss high.  This place, it says I could get to in under 12 hours, but having been at -34F today, who wants to?

6 comments:

  1. Well, I feel better now. ☺ It's a balmy 14F here. I'd love to visit Australia this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too... but maybe closer to the spot Jo-Anne resides at...

      Delete
  2. I am having a mild to hot summer, air con needed but not all day and night day after day. However, I am on the east coast of Aus as couple of hours north of Sydney. The west coast has it bloody hotter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear Urandangi is lovely. Especially this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete