What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, January 13, 2023

M10 show, (Technically) week #54

 

Elvis: Well, good ta see ya not sick fer a change....

Thanks, Bud!

Now, what're we eatin'?

You're on your own, Misty and I had Five Guys last night, so we're behaving tonight.

Huh?  Whaddabout me??

It's called 'fend for yourself', it's the latest thing...

Oh, har-dee-har-har...

Anyway, at least the illness was well-timed, because there hasn't been a lot of good new stuff snared by my Release Radar, so we're basically going to act like the last few weeks never happened, and pick up where we left off.  That involves some moves on the M10 we MIGHT not have expected otherwise... and I'm going to add just for fun a quick little new feature, that I will hopefully remember to do as we go on.  But first... our first loss of 2023 came this week with the passing of guitar legend Jeff Beck.  His skills transcended his chart presence, which was by no means meager:

With the Yardbirds:

Heart Full Of Soul (#9), I'm A Man (the Bo Diddley cover, not the Spencer Davis song covered by Chicago, #17), Shapes Of Things (#11), Over Under Sideways Down (#13), Happenings Ten Years Time Ago (#30)

With the Jeff Beck Group

You Shook Me (#15)

With Donovan

Goo Goo Barabajagal (Love Is Hot) (#30)

With Rod Stewart

People Get Ready (#48)

With The Honeydrippers

Rockin' At Midnight (#25).


That's some good stuff there!

You bet, buddy!  Speaking of, here's our debut at #10- and I gotta admit I dig these guys in Italian better than English!  Here's Maneskin...


******************************************************

So what's this new gig?

Well, I'm going to start with the Cashbox charts of  1995- their last full year- and I'm going to play the highest "song I'd never turn the station on"!  We'll go back one year each week until we hit 1955, so we'll have a lot of different tunage coming down this list.

Sounds innersting! What song gets the first mention?

Well, before we play it, I wanna throw out our second debut at #9!  This is a duo who performed this on one of the late night shows back in November, I believe- along with another Crosby Stills And Nash cover, the mini-song Find The Cost Of Freedom.  Here is another newbie to the M10- The Heavy Heavy:

 

************************************************************* 

 

So what's the song from '95?

This far up in the nineties, there are a lot of songs I don't know- and a few I don't like.  There were two that were almost but not quites, though before I picked this week's winner. So before I hit the winner at #24, I went through 16 I didn't know (by name at least), 4 I think I've heard but don't care that much for, one I would listen to if no alternatives were around, the two almost but not quites, but the first one for sure I wouldn't turn off is...


 
...Sheryl Crow and All I Wanna Do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 Any chance of lettin' us in on the almost but not quites?

Sure, once you give us the rest of the M10!


Okey-doke! Here we go...

8- Down 3 spots, White Reaper an' Pages... 

7- Up 3, Smashing Pumpkins an' Beyond The Vale...

6- Down 2, Lucius and Muse...

5- Down 2, Talk an' Run Away To Mars...

4- Up 5, Morrissey and Rebels Without Applause...

3- Down 1, The Four Seasons an' Sleeping Man....

2- Up 6, Cafune and Tek It...

An' holdin' on ta #1...


...Joji an' Die For You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Okay, out with 'em!

All right, the two almost but not quites were: Hootie and the Blowfish at #19 with Hold My Hand; and at #22, REM and What's The Frequency, Kenneth!

I'm surprised ya didn't take Hootie...

Any other song on that lp besides that one, I might have... 


 

1 comment:

  1. It is music God gave to the soul so that it can understand creation.

    ReplyDelete