What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, January 27, 2023

M10 show, week #56

 

Well, buddy, I decided to bring in a guest today- an old friend...

Uh-oh... this can't be good...

Sure it will be! I'm sure you all remember our friend Wayne Newton...


Wayne: Yaaay me!!!

E: See, told ya!

Now, I have a very special reason for bringing in Wayne today...

E: He's broke an' needs a job...

W: Exactl... hey, wait a minute!

 In fact, it's a reason that involves both of you- and our new weekly feature!  In the meantime:  Mere moments after we put last week's show in the can, the news of David Crosby's death exploded across the internet.  His poor politics aside, he was a voice for our era, and as such, we will be doing his greatest top ten hits...

W: Ooh, cool!  Will White Christmas be on it?

....

E: You idjit, that's BING Crosby!  David's the one who got busted using knockout drops on chicks!

Speaking of idiots, at least Wayne got the last name right, unlike you and "Bill Cosby"!

W:  Not to mention I got his race right...

E: What the heck do cars have to do with this?

And this is what I get for putting these two back together for any reason!  So we'll get to both those features soon... but first, Bud, play our first of 2 debuts on the M10 this week!

Sure!  At #8, and a song we just found last night, here's Christian artist Katy Nichole with brand new stuff...

 

***************************************************

Powerful stuff- hit me right where I was.  Anyway, so the thing with our "song I wouldn't change the station on" this week is, I was THAT close to being shut out!  Out of the entire top 100 for this week in 1993, I knew for sure just SEVEN songs- and two of those I cannot stand!

E:  Michael Bolton again?

One of them, and the other is Whitney Houston's cover of a far better Dolly Parton song, I Will Always Love You.

W: What's wrong with that song?

Nothing that couldn't be fixed if Whitney hadn't sang the whole thing like she was looking in the mirror.  At any rate, let me give you the thumbnail on this particular winning song.  First, no one knows exactly how this song charted, it was never released, and these were the days the charts when strictly by sales.  Therefore, while Billboard never charted it at all, it was seven weeks out from having hit the top on Cashbox!  Speculation was that the performer had mob connections, and Cashbox, deep in hock, wasn't real choosy about where they got their financing...

W: I can't imagine what artist would be that lacking in integrity!

I'm glad you brought that up!  Because it was a good song- so good that when I heard the song and the story, I put it on the M10, and it hit #3 in September of 2017!  The song, a point at which a very depressed Elvis-

E: Hey!  How am I involved in this?

Because you wrote a note to God... and then threw it out.  A maid found it crumpled in the trash, and gave it to someone, who gave it to someone, who turned it into a song, and gave it to Mr Integrity over here...


 W:  Me?  I'm the one... but that mafia thing is preposterous!

E: I'm sure it is, Scarface...

...and it was on the way down at #26 this week.  Here's Wayne with our Song I wouldn't turn off...

 

*************************************************************** 

 

David Crosby was not just Crosby Stills And Nash (and sometimes Young), but also a solo act, and with the Byrds.  According to Billboard and their airplay+ sales formula, here are his top 10 biggest hits...

10- Ohio (with CSN&Y), #14.

9- Eight Miles High (with the Byrds), #14.

8- Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (with CS&N), #21

7- Teach Your Children (with CSN&Y), #16

6- Southern Cross (with CS&N)

5- Woodstock (with CSN&Y), #11

4- Just A Song Before I Go (with CS&N), #7

3- Wasted On The Way (with CS&N), #9

2- Mr Tambourine Man (with the Byrds), #1

 

And as usual, I'll save the top one- and you should be able to guess from what's left- for the big reveal...

W:  Was it Swingin' On A Star?

E:  That's Bing again, fool...

...right after I share our top debut at #6.  This is a band whose songs heretofore, while catchy, are... well kinda stupid.  For example, here's a line from their biggest hit so far...

Is your mother worried?
Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?
Excuse me (what?)
Excuse me (what?)
Hey you, in the front row
Are you coming backstage after the show?
Because I've got a chaise lounge in my dressing room
And a pack of warm beer that we can consume

 

Not that the story is much better on this one, but the music sure is!  With the new one, Angelica, here's Wet Leg...

 

**************************************************** 

Okay, Wayne, howsabout you finish out the top ten this week?

E: An' don't be puttin' any of Bing's songs init!

W: Well, okay...

10- and holding, White Reaper and Pages....

9- Down 3, Lucius and Muse...

Hey, where's number 8?

E: We played it, numbskull!

W:  Oh, yeah...

7- Back up 2 spots, Smashing Pumpkins and Beyond The Vale...

Hey, where's num...

E:  We PLAYED it..

W:  Oh, yeah...

5- Up three notches, another David Crosby song covered, The Heavy Heavy and Guinevere... 

4- and holding, Maneskin and La Fine...

3- Down one, Joji and Die For You...

2- Up one, Morrissey and Rebels Without Applause...

And again at #1...


 ...Cafune and Tek It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E: Awright, gimme that microphone!  The top David Crosby song is...


 #1 by the Byrds, Turn! Turn! Turn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

E: Wow, we're done, an' he ain't busted anything... Wait, what're you...

SKRUNCH BANG **FEEDBACK***

E:  Help me Lord.....  

1 comment:

  1. Me too, though I don't think I can handle Elvis and Wayne together too often...

    ReplyDelete