What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, March 10, 2023

M10 show week # 62

 

This week, I've got a special to bring you- Rolling Stones came up with their 200 greatest singers of all time- and I thought we might go through the ones I actually know and played somewhere near the Martin Era time frame, or that may have hit or sniffed the M10.  That said, I have two debuts- one is an M10 newbie, and the other a vet (though not a 'superstar'-yet).  The vet is at # 10, and it's brand new from Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit...


************************************************************ 

Okay, so once again, this is a big list, and I thought I would mention 10 at a time until we get to the top ten (or RS pulls the article, whichever), so starting at the bottom...

194- Kelley Clarkson- Let me be serious, I know her more for her Wayfair ads than her songs.  But the only other ones I even thought of knowing to this point were Billie Ellish (whom I've never listened to yet) and the singer from that X-Ray Specs band that Morrissey mentions at the end of his song.

193- Brandy- Whom I mention only because she won Time Machine's first Beauty Contest.

189- Joan Baez- Our first actual Martin Era act.  I loved Diamonds And Rust.  But, I heard a live version of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, and it just didn't do it for me without the backing chorus.

187- Bonnie Raitt- Not a bad choice, considering how low we are.  But as an actual singer, I prefer smooth to gravel.

185- Alicia Keys- If it wasn't for that credit card commercial, I might not know her, either.

181- Bob Seger- There you go, a bona fide star, a great entertainer, and like Bonnie, there are different definitions of great singer. (I'd have still put him higher...)

177- Patty Loveless- In the realm of country crossover ladies, I have my doubts Patty would have crossed my mind.

176- Iggy Pop- Of course, RS would have him in here.

174- Buddy Holly- With one to go, my favorite pure singer on the list.  I'd still go to Seger's concert, though.

173- Marianne Faithful- While I have no problem with her voice, she's better known to me as bedmate to a large share of the Rolling Stones (Thanks to a former bodyguard's tell all from a couple of decades back).  She'd beat out Brandy for this week's beauty contest, though.


Okay, that's the first ten I pulled out.  This is going to take a while, but considering that there were another 16 I didn't know (plus Lana Del Ray, who I didn't mention), we're skipping about a third of their acts, so this should only take us... oh, about 17 weeks more...

Anyway, before I hit you up with our "Won't turn off the radio" song, here's that other debut- and it's the first time both the #s 1 and 2 of the alt chart are also on my top ten!  At #9 on the M10, and #2 on Radiowavemonitor, here's one of KC's faves, Fall Out Boy...


**************************************************************

Well, that wasn't quite what I was expecting... but tres cool, anyway!  Now as for our song I wouldn't change the station on, this week in 1987 makes it easy on me- because it's in its fifth and final week at #1....

 


...Bon Jovi's Living On A Prayer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And now for an M10 in which I almost made it a top 15 for the first time...

8- The Arcs slide 3 spots with A Man Will Do Wrong...

7- Aiden Bissett Trips up 2 with Trippin' Over Air...

6- Out of the top spot for Lauren Daigle's Look Up Child...

5- Let's just say everything from here on had a shot at the top this week, starting with Two Door Cinema Club, up 5 with Everybody's Cool....

4- And holding for Tennis and Forbidden Doors...

3- And holding for Cafune and Reconsider...

2- And holding for Linkin Park and Lost...

And the new # 1 this week...




...Imagine Dragons and Follow You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great weekend, time to eat!

4 comments:

  1. I would have ranked Kelly Clarkson, Bonnie Raitt and Bob Seger much higher, but then I love the gravel. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of this list plays out.

    Both of your M10s this week are really cool, especially the first one. Killer opening line!

    I wouldn't turn Bon Jovi off either, and when it comes to Shot Down In A Blaze Of Glory, the volume button goes to max.

    Imagine Dragons deserve the top spot, IMO. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all fairness to RS, they were being VERY international about this list. Many of the ones I hadn't heard of are mainly known in their own nations. Glad you liked the list!

      Delete
  2. Such good music but most music is good just not all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed there, and we all have different tastes in it. My opinions are meant to be taken at "entertainment value" here...

      Delete