What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, March 31, 2023

M10 show week # 65

 

This week, we add two new debuts- and at least one has a (mildly) interesting personal story attached! The Song I wouldn't turn off week is 1984- the year the world didn't end- and our rolling Rolling Stone list of the best singers has two things as a theme: One is they are all bunched together for a change, and two is that they are extreme- all of them are either, "now THAT'S a singer!" or "that's a SINGER?"

Elvis:  I'm bettin' I'm in that first group!

Well, sure you are- just not this week yet!  In the meantime, I'd like to announce that my lazy butt FINALLY got around to updating my master M10 song list- not a big deal to you all, but since my last time updating the fool thing was November 9th, it was definitely an accomplishment for me!

What do y'all think the over/under is before he lets it get 4 months behind agin?'

Knowing me, take the under!  Anywho, our first debut at #10 is a song I heard on the radio a few weeks back- not surprising, it's currently #7 on the RWM alt chart- but when I tried to play it for Laurie, it sounded NOTHING like what I heard!  This week I looked again, and found that there are TWO versions- I've no idea why- And the one I like is the official studio version.  Then I found out about the band- the two leaders are the lead singer for alt band Blur, and the writer of the popular indie comic Tank Girl! On top of that- and I don't know how they exactly work this- but the band you see are animated and fictitious!  That's right, it's a 'virtual band'- and you may know them, they aren't new, they call themselves Gorillaz. Here they team up with rapper Bootie Brown and M10 growing star Tame Impala; without  further ado-

Yeah, that boat already sailed!  Here's the tune...

 

 

*********************************************************

Good song.  Too mucha yer intro, though...

So I suppose you're really gonna hate me doing the Rolling Stone list for this week, right?

I ain't on it yet?  I'm takin' a nap!

Fine.  Here's the next 10 I know from Rolling Stone's 'greatest singers of all time list.  But let me do it this way: First those I say, 'now THAT's a singer' too, and then the "more entertainer than crooner" list.  Here goes...

SINGERS

 132- Loretta Lynn; 127- Tammy Wynette. I think we can say both these country Hall Of Famers deserve their spots.

128- Florence Welch (Florence + The Machine).  She's got some powerful chops- almost made the M10 a couple of times- but until she gives with that hooky song that gets my attention, I'd have done her earlier.

126- Donnie Hathaway. Music lost what could have been a major player when he took his own life.  They made a great choice here.

123- Karen Carpenter. Okay guys, we ALL know she should be top 20 at a minimum.  This list was heavily tainted with style over substance.  Which brings us to...

NOT-SO-SINGERS (Not that I don't really love a lot of these, but seriously?)

134- Axl Rose.  Not even Knocking On Heaven's Door moves him this far up IMHO.

133- Neil Young.  There's a part of me that would love to put him on the other list.   It's not the part of me that's listened to Andy Williams, Nat King Cole, etc.  It is the part that loves to hear him jam with Crazy Horse,  though.

130- Courtney Love (Hole). This is just about a repeat of my Neil Young comment, changing the names to reflect the circumstance.

129- Rob Halford (Judas Priest).  I'll give him he deserves to beat Axl Rose by 5 spots...

And finally today...

125- Joe Strummer (the Clash).  Again, I enjoy the Clash. I love Train In Vain.  But 8 notches ahead of Neil Young?  Not gonna happen.

King, how 'bout that 2nd debut?

Since ya asked so nicely.  This is another radio tune- it's sittin' at #25 on the alt chart- to which Chris's boy KC quipped, "When did alternative become folk?" But Chris likes it, an' so do I.  At #9, here's Noah Kahan...

 

********************************************************** 

 

My first contestant for lyric line of the year:

And I'll dream each night of some version of you
That I might not have, but I did not lose 

 That brings us to 1984, a year that had a lot of songs on this week's chart that I wouldn't turn off.  So I wrote down the highest 10, picked the top 3, and chose a #1.

Third would be Nena's 99 Balloons- preferably the English version, though I love both- which was sitting at #7.

Second would be Duran Duran's New Moon On Monday, sitting at #17.

And the top song I wouldn't turn off from this week in 1984- a song I bought the single to, back then...


At #54, the Pretenders and Show Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Okay, bud, you got the M10 for the week in you?

Absolutely!

That's a 4-syllable word, dude, don't hurt yourself!

Well, har-de-har-har, someone made a funny!  May I continue?

8- Manchester Orchestra up 2 with The Way, comin' in at #81 on the alt chart...

7- fer a third week for Cafune and Reconsider...

6- pushed down a spot, Geowulf an' Lovestruck...

5- an' up 3, Fall Out Boy with the #2 alt song, Love From The Other Side... 

4- Imagine Dragons an' Follow You, down 2...

3- After one week at the top, Tennis an' Forbidden Doors...

2- an' back up 2 spots, Two Door Cinema Club an' Everybody's Cool...

An' our new #1.....

 

 


 

...Jason Isbell an' the 400 Unit an' Death Wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's it for another weekend!  Be cool!

6 comments:

  1. My mind teems with endless schemes....These are some amazing artists. Love Noah Kahan , a little put off by Gorillaz. Love your choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. No harm on Gorillaz, that's why it's my list and not sent down from heaven.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your second M10 debut especially. Great lyrics! Karen Carpenter should definitely rank higher and why are those other dubious ones even on the list? I love Neil Young, (i) despite(/i) his voice, not because of it.

    ReplyDelete