What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, March 24, 2023

M10 Show Week #64

 

This week, our perusal of the Rolling Stone top singers of all time has a common theme- most of them are names we don't know from bands we do- or at least, some of us don't! Plus, this week I have a new debut on the M10 and a rather wishy-washy Song I Won't Turn Off from 1985!  Elvis is mad because I ordered in last night instead of tonight, as I type, so I guess I'll have to do everything myself- including putting laundry in the dryer!  I'll be right back...



Psst!  While he's up there- C'mon?  Leaves me out of a Red Lobster order? What kinda friend does... uh-oh, here he comes...

 

Okay so that went very well. NOT.  You see, Misty- a doggie who never shed before, this year she sheds more every two weeks than in her entire lifespan prior to this.  I decided to wash our lounging blankets to remove some of the hair- and my washing machine managed to create about three minor hairballs and gave up the fight.  Hoping the dryer will have better luck.  Let me go get a Pepsi Zero and get started here...

Psst... Hee hee, you could put these blankets up agin a jet engine and not get that doggie hair off!  Oops, he he comes...

Okay, so since there's only the one new song- and about five more waiting their chance to get in- Let me start off with the rolling Rolling Stone list....

151- Martha Reeves. While I would have no problem with her being even farther down the list, I can live with her here.

150- Bryan Ferry. He's the lead singer for Roxy Music, an English glam band whose only dent in the chart here was 1975's Love Is The Drug.  Not a bad song, but I need more than this, guys.

148- Levon Helm. Now don't get me wrong.  The Band did some truly iconic stuff.  But Levon as a singer? 

147- Barbra Streisand. This might floor a lot of you, but for me, she should be in the top 50.  That is a voice.

144- Darlene Love. Back in Time Machine days, we had several stories about the vast number of 1960's (and late 50's) hits she and the Blossoms were on, credited, uncredited, and credited to acts that didn't sing the record. I would have moved her up just on principle, but here is okay.

142- Russell Thompkins, Jr. That smooth falsetto from the Stylistics definitely could leap over some of the homeboys RS picked closer to the top.

141- Christina Aguilera. I put her on here because everybody knows her name, but honest injun, I looked over her discography, and the only song I can truly say I heard at least once was that cover of Lady Marmalade she did with a whole bunch of her girlfriends whom I only know by name as well.

140- Bono. I have a ton of respect for early U2. I listened to their latest last night and was not impressed. Listen to U2 and Pavarotti sing Miss Sarajevo and ask me why Luciano isn't on the list.

138- Merle Haggard. And now, to alienate the C&W fans here, I'll say this is a right good spot for him.

And finally this week...

137- El Debarge. If this name came in back in the 190's, I'd say okay.  Here, I have to say, "Who's Johnny?"

**********************************************************

And now, with the debut at #10- new stuff from Manchester Orchestra...


************************************************************ 

Okay, so I looked at the Cashbox chart for this week in 1985, and at the top sat REO Speedwagon and Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore.  And I said, "There we go... hey, wait a minute!"  Because I have to be in the mood for this song, and there are somedays I just ain't, and I WILL turn it off.  So I went a bit further down and saw one I'm always in the mood for!  In between was one song I liked (Madonna's Material Girl), two I just got flat sick of hearing (Phil Collins' One More Night and Glenn Frey's The Heat Is On), and one, while I might not hate it, I certainly rarely waste earspace on it (Wham's Careless Whisper).  But at #6, a song I wouldn't turn off...


 ...Teena Marie and Lovergirl!


And now, the rest of the M10... eh?  You showed up?

Aw, I got feelin' sorry fer ya, so's I thought I'd come in an' do the M10 fer ya...

More like you got tired of hiding...

Ya knew?

Dude, I'm literally typing the dialogue, remember? So go ahead, the dryer just buzzed...

Man, y'all take the fun outta everything!

9- Linkin Park's Lost, down from 4...

8- Fall Out Boy an' Love On The Other Side, up 1...

7- Cafune's Reconsider, holding...

6- Aiden Bissett's Trippin' Over Air, holdin'...

5- Geowulf an' Lovestruck, up from 10...

4- Two Door Cinema Club an' Everybody's Cool, down 1...

3- Jason Isbell's Death Wish, up 2...

2- Imagine Dragon's Follow You, slippin' fromthe top...

An' at #1, for their third time...

 

 


 ...Tennis an' Forbidden Doors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, here he comes an... Good gravy!  What he heck is THAT???

 


 
In case you lot didn't believe me, I just pulled this out of the lint trap....

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I'm SO familiar with the pet hair issue. ☺ Bounce now has dryer sheets for that ►LINK.

    Manchester Orchestra has a pleasant sound, nice and mellow. Don't remember Teena Marie, though.

    Too bad about Imagine Dragons slipping down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told Laurie that #s 8-5 were essentially all #5, and everybody above was basically #1 this week...

      Delete
  2. You are a hoot. The lint from the filter clinched it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And mind you, none of that was planned- the dryer buzzer started the whole thing...

      Delete
  3. Music, music, music what's not to like about music

    ReplyDelete