What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, March 17, 2023

M10 Show week #63

 

Elvis:   Hey, how come ya left me out last week?

Because I had no time for bits last week, and not much this week!  So try to be funny in short bursts...

I'm best in short bur... wait, retract that...

Wise choice, there!  Anyway, now that we're a little closer to years with good music, I'm going to go from the top song I wouldn't turn off to MY top song I wouldn't turn off, as I found 9 of them!

I suppose you're gonna rattle off that whole list?  

No, we have too many lists, I may though just do a top three to build suspense. First though, here's our lone debut this week- the suddenly solo Star Kendrick, still identifying as Geowulf at #10...

   

**********************************************************

 

So I hear ya got this greatest singers of all time list from Rollin' Stone.  Where am I on it?

Later.  Do you really want to be in the back?

Um, no...

Okay, then.  Last time, we ended at 173 as we roll merrily down their list to seek out those I actually know.  We pick up then, with...

169- Sylvester. I rather think that instead of him being chosen because of the voice that spawned three top 40 hits with an average peak of #31, he was more likely selected because he was about as weird as you can possibly be and not be imprisoned in 85 nations.

168- Debbie Harry. Now THIS is a voice!  I would definitely have put her much farther up. Blondie, with her at the helm, recently had a #1 on the M10.

166- Morrissey. I do need to research him a bit more, as his recent hit on the M10 is all I know by him (at least by name).  But the little I have heard is good, so I have no problem here.

165- Ronnie James Dio. Other then the usual "but is it singing?" comment, I love Dio.  I'd have him on here just for Man On The Silver Mountain.

161- Brenda Lee. Yes, definitely, no doubt whatsoever.  I'd pull her up at least 100 spots.

158- Carrie Underwood. I just had to make sure she wasn't the one that did that I Feel Like A Woman song. Nope, that was Shania Twain.  Not a sexist comment, just that my daughter signed up for baton twirling one year, and I spent a summer hearing that song over and over and over... Carrie's fine with me.

157- Robert Smith (the Cure). I  have no objections, though I will note that just today, I said to myself, "I've never really understood the popularity of the Cure".

156- George Strait.  Oh heck yes.  I'd have put him minimum 100 higher.

154- Dion. Ditto.  He's a classic, versatile singer that can be doing rough and tumble The Wanderer one minute, silky smooth Teenager In Love the next, and send you home with the heartbreaking Abraham Martin And John.

And...

152- Michael Stipe (REM).  I would surley have him higher, maybe not as far as the last two.  His songwriting tops his voice, but it's two great tastes that taste great together...

Two great... man, that was dumb!

I know, but I'll make up for it in seriousness now.  Joining our ever-growing list of acts that have passed on is Bobby Caldwell.  A great voice but a one hit wonder, he came back from near suicide to hit the top ten in 1978 with this...


 

************************************************* 

 

And now, here's my top three songs I wouldn't turn off from 1986:

Third would be the song at #3, Mister Mister and Kyrie...

Second would be Dream Academy and Life In A Northern Town at #10...

But my top one, from a band y'all probably don't know or remember,  at #78...




...Ontario's Honeymoon Suite and Feel It Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, bud, do the rest of the M10!

Sure, sure!

9- An' holding fer Fall Out Boy and Love On The Other Side...

8- down 2 fer Lauren Daigle's Look Up Child....

7- down 4 fer Cafune an' Reconsider...

6- an' up one fer Aiden Bissett's Trippin' Over Air....

5- An' up 5 fer Jason Isbel an' the guys with Death Wish... 

4- An' down 2 fer Linkin Park's Lost...

3- An' Up 2 fer Two Door Cinema Club an' Everybody's Cool... 

2- Up two fer Tennis an' Forbidden Doors...

An' #1 agin this week...

 


 ...Imagine Dragons an' Follow You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Food's here, gotta go!

8 comments:

  1. I love Imagine Dragons. Radioactive was amazing. The voices shouting was super.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The end of that video they mention Radioactive. I have got to listen to that...

      Delete
  2. Good artists, good music and a good post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is Sylvester?? Debbie Harry should have ranked higher, IMO. Nice to see Imagine Dragons hanging on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvester did a couple of electro-disco things way back, including (You make me feel) Mighty Real. Knowing how you roll, not worth your time to research. Because he died of AIDS, he gets a lot of accolades for being... well, some sort of martyr.

      Delete
    2. Electro & disco. Two of my favourite genres - NOT!! 😆

      Delete