What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, March 29, 2024

M10 show week #113

 


So no food tonight?


No food, Elvis.  I can't afford it every week, and your money... well, it ain't yours anymore.


Man, that blows.  Ah eat one time a week...


You exist one time a week, be grateful!  This week we're in 1958...


Bet I coulda got a burger back then...


And things were pretty screwy back then on our feature.  But we also have 2 new songs- and one of them will be yet another M10 oddity.  However, the first debut is just a flat good song.  From her new lp Deeper Well, this is Kacey Musgraves at #10...





************************************************************

That wuz good, Boss!  Reminds me of a nice juicy hot dog...

Enough with the food!  Go rummage in the commissary if you have to!  So this week we go to 1958.  The top song in Australia was Johnny Mathis and The Twelfth Of Never.  It was the b-side to Chances Are here, and Canada didn't chart it at all.  Here?  Depends on who you look at.  One source claimed Billboard had it as high as #9... another said #51.   On Cashbox, it both debuted and peaked at #44, and this was the year before, in '57.  Canada had the Chordettes with Lollipop.  It fought its way to #2 here, and topped off at #14 in Australia.  Cashbox had the Champs at the top with Tequila, also a top dog in Canada and a #4 in Australia.   Now, my top five for the week...

Don' fergit yer cadavers...

Caveats, buddy, caveats, and I think we've hit them enough times.  If not, feel free to hit me with a- 


- in the comments.  So this week my top five would be...

5- The Four Preps, 26 Miles (Santa Catalina).  Slipping on CB this week from 4 to 6, it peaked 6 on BB, 11 (or nowhere) in Canada, and 9 in Australia.  I just saw Dent May did a version of this back in 2009...

Yeah, an' you made us lissen to it too, an' it wasn't pretty...

Not one of his better attempts, I'll admit.   

4- Connie Francis, Who's Sorry Now.  It moved from 6 to 3 on CB this week, and that's where it stayed.  It became a top dog in Canada, #19 in Australia.

3- Maybe Baby by Buddy Holly's Crickets, moving from 17 to 11 this week- where IT stayed!  9 in Canada, 16 in Australia.

2- Don Gibson, Oh Lonesome Me.  A country classic that we heard around our house a lot, it was #1 C&W and 7 on BB- moving up from 39 to 35 on Cashbox this week- and while Canada didn't appreciate it, Australia did to the tune of #5.

And, agreeing with Canada on the top:


...the Chordettes and Lollipop!



Moving onto the next story, my next debut at #8 marks the first time that an act has had two songs in my M10, neither of which are new stuff!  Last week's debut Shark Smile is from 2017, and this one from 2019!  The only song I like off Barack Obama's shared playlist, here's Buck Meek and Big Thief...


*****************************************************************

Ah love them live at KEXP videos! But, Ah gotta say, if I was to be asked, I woulda thought Buck woulda been the guy with the wolf hat an' not the guy in the suit....

Agreement all around there, buddy!  And now, we can wrap it with the rest of this week's M10:

9- and holding for Talk and I'm One Of The Rest...

7- and down 4 for Juliana Hatfield and Secret Messages...

6- and up one for Blackberry Smoke and Whatcha Know Good...

5- and up 3 for the aforementioned Shark Smile...

4- and up a blistering 6 for Suki Waterhouse and Every Day's A Lesson In Humility...

3- and up 3 for Broken Bells and The Mall And Misery....

2- and holding for Dent May and Jordana with Coasting On Fumes...

Say, how come you never mention her last name?

Because she doesn't go by it!  But to make you happy, her full name is Jordana Nye.

That ain't bad, I figured it was somethin' silly, like Shufflebottom....

Uh, no... and that means the top song this week- as it has four of the last six- goes to...



...Amira Elfeky, for a second week with A Dozen Roses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And now, let's go see what I got in the freezer....

4 comments:

  1. The Twelfth of Never didn't chart in Canada? That's a surprise! Or maybe I'm thinking of the Donnie Osmond version. I remember Oh Lonesome Me, so some stations here must have been playing it. Lollipop is a wicked earworm. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're likely right... but with the travails I had with the charts this week...

      Delete
  2. That first clip by Kacey Musgraves I liked never heard of her or of the song the second clip was ok but not as good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like me and Debbie discussed last week, Big Thief isn't everybody's cuppa, but I'm getting hooked on them.

      Delete