What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, May 10, 2019

Time Machine co-ordinates VIXCIII54151068



Today is May 10th, 1968, and we are coming in over Paris, and the "Night of the Barricades".  This was the culmination of weeks of communist-led protests against the DeGaulle/Pompidou government, and its ramifications led to DeGaulle finally allowing for the National Assembly to be dissolved and new elections held.  The results?  Despite his fears- which led him to leave the country for a day until assured of Army support- DeGaulle's party notched its widest margin of victory ever, once again proving that, while the left has bigger mouths, those mouths don't always coincide with popular support.  Politicians thinking they need to bow and scrape for Twitter hacks should keep that in mind.


"Naturellement, I knew I would win all along, ami..."
****************************************************

Ready for a different kind of Time Machine?  This week, I'm going to do a reveal of one of the top two Panel contestants first...AND I'm going to reveal the M10 #1 first, as well!  Chaos?  Madness?  No, just a couple of really good reasons for both!   PLUS:  Two new M10 debuts- both of them from friend suggestions!So don't drag your furniture out in the streets to protest- drag 'em to the computer to tune in!


*****************************************




Bobby Goldsboro- what's he doing here?  Well, we're at that time of 1968 where his massive hit Honey was charting- #1 this week on Cashbox.  In fact, there was a TITANIC struggle between this song and one other for the top spot on the Panel picks- the winner taking a 23-21 victory, decided on the last 2 votes!  So what we are going to do is have a double guess contest this week!  First, you'll pick from the Panel group just WHO that other contender is- and then, who won!  We'll be back with that in a minute, but first....


************************************************

But first, our first M10 debut at #9.  This was shared by a friend on Spotify, and was too catchy to leave out!  Plus, I found the video hilarious- with a surprise ending you won't expect!  Now, note to Bobby G- I'm guessing the song won't exactly trip your trigger, but you'll LOVE how the video ends!  For their first time on the M10, here's Skindred:





******************************************************



And finally, at long last, I welcome Diana Ross to the TM mike!  Nice to have you here!

Thank you... I'm sorry about our previous, well, monetary issues... it's a contract thing, you know how Berry is...


Not as well as you do!  But its good to have you here from an era that I had a pretty significant crush on you...

Aw, how sweet!  how old were you?

3... 4...

Um...

Anyway, with the current game, you'll be actually doing the Panel choices for one of the 2 contenders this week, so you do get to be a part of Panel history.

Well, thank you!  I'll do my best... I guess...

Okay, so we start off with the one vote wonders- and thankfully we have just 20 songs from 79 stations this week, so instead of 20 1-v-w's, we have nine.

All right... so we start out with this year's Eurovision runner-up, Cliff Richard with Congratulations.  One of his rare times back then to chart here... it peaked at #99 on Billboard.

Then comes this week's #4 song on CB, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap with Young Girl.

I've been considering doing a "what would I have had at the top then" feature, basing the 'educated guess' on what I liked back then and where it was that week.  This would have likely been my number one this week.

Very interesting... next up is Paul Mariat's lovely instrumental Love Is Blue, which was actually in its second week of dropping from the top 40, at #51....

Which is why THAT wasn't my choice.

Next, we have South Africa's Four Jacks and a Jill with Master Jack at #55...

...or that one...

Sweetie, it's not polite to interrupt.  The Intruders with Cowboys To Girls- I'm sure another one you liked- was at #11.

Wilmer and the Dukes, a local band out of Geneva, New York, got a vote for their song Give Me One More Chance.  They were a few weeks from charting nationally, though, and would peak in early July at #78.

Ohh, Tom Jones, at #35 with Delilah...

And hot stuff from James Brown, I Got The Feeling, at #14.

Finally, we have Andy Kim at #75 with How'd We Get This Way at #75.  Chris?

Oh, joy, permission to speak...

Well, no need to be rude..

Yeah, well, my show.  So here's the 'also receiving votes' list...

DON'T throw it at me...

I didn't, I slid it to you...

You'd think that someone who paid premium price for a guest would be a little more appreciative of their presence...

Oh, I'm just basking in it...


Give me that list.  So here, with 2 votes we have the Troggs with Love Is All Around at #12; People with I Love You at #78; the Beatles and Lady Madonna at #3; with three votes we have Tommy James and the Shondells with Mony Mony at #30 and the Ohio Express and Yummy Yummy Yummy at #84; And with 4 votes, Hugo Montenegro and the Theme from The Good The Bad And The Ugly at #18.

Speaking of which... let's patch this up.  I apologize for being snippy.  Diana?

What, you think I have something to apologize for?

Nothing a less elitist attitude wouldn't fix...

How DARE you speak to me like that?

And we're back to that "my show" thing...

Well, you can just finish the show yourself, mister!  I am OUT...

Contract says you do the whole list, ma'am...

ARRRGH!  Fine, let me have the list.  Choose the song that battles Bobby Goldsboro from:  The Irish Rovers and The Unicorn at #7... Archie Bell and the Drells with Tighten Up at #5... The Rascals and Beautiful Morning at #6... and Simon and Garfunkel with Mrs. Robinson at #15, on its way down.  Are we satisfied now?

Yep, got my money's worth...

Well, don't expect me to do this show aga... who are you?

HB:  I am TM lawyer Horace Bellbottom, ma'am, and I thought I should point out to you that our contract with you and Motown call for a minimum of three appearances...

ARRRRGH!!!


**************************************************

Now, the second reveal comes next, and that is that our new M10 #1 is...




Tame Impala with Eventually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Which marks the second time this song has hit the top, with Lucius's cover hitting just over a year ago, or 30 number ones ago.  And naturally, that got me thinking about all the times that's happened on the official charts.

So I found a guy who used the Whitburn book to track down 81 times that that has happened in history.  Now, remembering our talk about that book, and how entries before 1940 aren't exactly official or reliable, I looked over the list and found that that restriction would have cut the list down to 22.

But let's just say we go with it, how many of these matchups had at least one of the pair in the Martin Era 2.0?  The answer is 15- 5 completely in the ME2.0 (1955-1977) and 10 with at least one leg in it.  So, ol' statistical me, I wanted to see the most time between pairs, since the one-week-short-of-13-months that Eventually did on the M10 isn't really that long.  So next, how these songs spread out- after our second debut.  Submitted by former boss Tim, played by the man/band/way of thinking known as King Leg, produced by Dwight Yoakum, here's the song at #8...





*************************************


And now that list, from closest to furthest.


1956 brings us Young Love, which by Sonny James hit #1 on one of the four Billboard charts (most played by DJs on the air), and after that Tab Hunter's version took over the next week, eventually hitting all four charts.

1957 gives us the former POTM winner Butterfly.  Andy Williams charted first, then Charlie Grace- overlapping subsequent weeks but never on the same chart.

So you can consider them a 14th place tie, and then we go to...

13- Go Away Little Girl, 104 months between Steve Lawrence in '63 and Donny Osmond in '71.

12- The Loco-Motion, 128 months between Little Eva in '62 and Grand Funk Railroad in '74.

11- Lean On Me, 144 months between Bill Withers in '72 and Club Noveau in '87.

10- Please Mr Postman, 147 months between Martha and the Vandellas in '61 and Karen and Richard Carpenter in '74.

9- There, I've Said It Again, 210 months between Vaughn Monroe in 1945 and Bobby Vinton in '63.

8- Venus, 221 months between Shocking Blue in '70 and Bananrama in 1986.

7- You Keep Me Hanging On, 245 months between the Supremes in '66 and Kim Wilde in '87.

6- I'll Be There, 260 months between the Jackson 5 in 1970 and Mariah Carey in '92.

5- When A Man Loves A Woman, 270 weeks between Percy Sledge in '66 and (ugh) Michael Bolton in '91.

4- Deep Purple, 296 months between Larry Clinton and Bea Wain in 1939 and Nino Temple and April Stevens in '63.

3- Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, 300 months between Paul Whiteman's big band in 1933 and the Platters in 1959.


And in the best race of the day, #'s 1 and 2 separated by 4 DAYS...

2- Lady Marmalade- 314 months 4 days between Labelle in '75 and Christina Aguillera et al in 2001.

And the winner... 




1- Blue Moon, 314 months, 8 days, between Glen Gray's band in '35 and the Marcels in '61!!!!!!!


*****************************************

Okay, so here's how your 'Panel Primary' turns out:

If you went with The Unicorn, you got 6.3%...
Beautiful Morning gets you 8.8%...
Mrs Robinson nets 10.1%...

But moving to the final is Archie Bell and the Drells with Tighten Up!!! So who wins it all- Bobby or Archie?  Find out in a bit...


**********************************

A quick stat pack:

The Box Tops claimed what would have been the 6D spot, #2 without a vote for Cry Like A Baby.

Mrs Robinson claimed the big mover, 32 spots from 47 to 15...

Frank Sinatra claimed the #68 in '68 with I Can't Believe I'm Losing You...

Paul Mariat was at #101 with the follow up to his big hit, Love In Every Room.

I had thought to start doing significant debuts this week, so howsabout Gene Pitney's She's A Heartbreaker at 93, Merilee Rush and Angel Of The Morning at 91, and Richard Harris with McArthur Park at 76?

And somehow I forgot about the UK #1, so let's see... and it's Satchmo and What A Wonderful World!  From the Panel, Young Girl was #7, Honey was #9, Congratulations, surprisingly, was on the way down at #11, Delilah at #15, Love Is Blue at #32, Lady Madonna at #35.


**********************************************

The rest of the M10:

Kelley Stoltz stayed at 10 with Empty Kicks.

J Mascis hangs in at #7 with See You At The Movies.

Idlewild gets an 8th week, falling one to #6 with Dream Variations.

ELO takes a leap to #5 with Long Black Road at #5- Criminal Hygiene takes that same 3-spot jump to 4 with Hardly News. 

As you already know, Maybird has conceded the top spot, going to 3 with Don't Keep Me Around.

And The Dig moves into the second slot with Moonlight Baby- and it might be a while before the top 2 changes....

******************************************

Okay, have you got your pick?  Who got 26.58% and who got 29.11%?

Are you SURE????


Okay, the winner of the POTM is.....









....sigh... Bobby Goldsboro and Honey....


So tune in next week to see if I can get along with Bobby better than I did "Lady Di"!  Oh, and 1969!

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris!

    It's your left leaning friend (or ex-friend as the case may be) - Shady - back to show support of your Time Machine series. Thanks for the invite over at Holliworld.

    I thoroughly enjoyed the Welsh "Ragga metal" band Skindred and the scene at the end, the kitty with his motor running. I'll bet Scrappy rose to attention when he heard that. Those guys seem to have drawn inspiration from Rob Zombie.

    I hereby nominate all three Supremes for your next Beauty Contest (along with Monti Rock III of Disco Tex and the Sex-O-Lettes). I remember "Young Girl" playing on campus radio at Penn State in May 1968 as my freshman year wound to an end. The song played in my mind whenever I strolled on campus and spotted a particular young lady I admired, another freshman. A few weeks later, back home in York, I met the future Mrs. Shady #1 on the dance floor of the Shady Dell. Paul Mariat's instrumental was not among the records in the Dell jukebox, but the tune is linked in my memory to those early weeks of our relationship because it played so often on the radio in York. I certainly remember "Master Jack." "Cowboys To Girls" was a major Dell song, as was "I Got The Feeling." "Love Is All Around" is another record closely linked to those early weeks of getting to know my new girlfriend, and "I Love You" by People was "our song," the one we most closely associated with our blossoming romance. "Lady Madonna" actually reminds me of the girl I dated just prior to meeting Mrs. Shady #1. "Unicorn," "Good Bad Ugly," Mony Mony," "Yummy Yummy" and "Mrs. Robinson" were all major memory makers and part of the soundtrack of my late teen years. "Tighten Up" was another Dell biggie. "Beautiful Morning" is linked in my mind to the time I spent drinking coffee, people watching and listening to the jukebox in the student union - the HUB (Hetzel Union Building) - on the State College campus.

    I enjoyed the retro sound of King Leg and the color drenched performance video.

    "Young Love" charted by several different artists around the same time, but the Sonny James version is the one my parents bought on a 45, the version I got to know as a boy and still prefer. If you don't mind me correcting you, good buddy, it was The Marvelettes who had the 1961 hit with "Postman," and not The Vandellas. The latter girl group didn't start releasing records until 1962. I'm happy to see two of the original three members of Bananarama still together and performing. I don't like Kim Wilde's remake of "Hangin' On" nearly as much as The Supremes' original which was another big Dell song. "When A Man Loves A Woman" by Percy Sledge was one of the biggest slow dance numbers at the Dell in the mid 60s. "Cry Like A Baby" was another major up tempo dance number at the Dell, and so was Gene P's Northern soul single "She's A Heartbreaker."

    You know from years past how I react whenever I hear "Honey." Slowly I turn... step by step... closer and closer... :)

    Have a great weekend, god buddy Chris, and please say hello to Laurie and Scrappy for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir, you know you are always welcome, if you can stand it.... actually, though, I was trying to warn you that Bobby Goldsboro was coming up and you MIGHT want to avoid me, lol...


      Nonetheless, thanks for stopping by! I enjoy hearing your memories of those songs- you got them at an age where you could really enjoy them, while I was busy dodging nuns...

      Delete
  2. Sigh...Bobby Goldsboro; not my favourite either, but, c'est la vie. Still, 1968 had some fabulous tunes, so thanks for the memories! And UGH is so right -can't stand Michael Bolton. Yuck! Skindred was hilarious and the song was pretty good, too. Fun ending! King Leg wasn't bad either - has a real "retro" feel. Congrats on another great post, Chris! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, m'lady! Glad I'm not alone in my Bolton "love"...

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to 1969 - such a wonderful vintage-y year and I've never been compared to Shatner on anything (why would that ever happen, lol :) so thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of me watching Better Late Than Never, and they're food choices!

      Delete
  4. Chris:
    ---Just for the record I am in NO way related to Charles DeGaulle...
    ---SKINDRED...you were RIGHT.
    Love the video. Anyone wearing a cat head in okay in my book. The ending - priceless.
    I should blast THAT song to counter all the (c)rap boomers in our area...LOL.
    ---(like the reverse order you got going)
    ---Diana Ross - prissy miss, yes?
    ---Had a feeling that Tame Impala would hit the top spot.
    (that is a good song, whoever does it).
    ---KING LEG - not a bad tune (but no cat head...heh)
    ---I REALLY learned a lot fro, those matchups, too. Figures that BLUE MOON would take it...been around for a LONG time.
    ---Good STAT PACK w/ Mrs. Robinson...no surprise how far UP it moved (the movie was very big at theaters...ran for months.
    ---ELO still moving UP the M10...nice.
    ---Yes, had to pick Bobby Goldsboro. Mom LOVED that song, and I grew kinda fond of it as well.

    Another very good ride this week..
    (how DOES he do it?)

    Keep those hits comin' up there,. brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only what surprised me on Mrs R was Scarborough Fair had come first, and was on it's way down...

      Delete
  5. CHRIS ~
    Some hours ago today, I was speaking with a good friend of mine on the telephone, and this person also happens to be one of your Facebook folk.

    This person told me what happened today, and asked me to pray for your peace of mind, which I felt honored to do.

    I just want you to know, Brother, that I've been there. I think I can imagine how deeply you feel the loss. (For me, the major ones were "Mickie", and especially "George". I will never forget either of them, and if George isn't the first to lick my face when I get to Heaven, I will be mightily surprised!!!)

    Brother... I just want you to know that I know how deep your sorrow goes. I also want you to know that there was a time (quite a long time ago) when I thought we wouldn't see our dogs in Heaven. I have since realized that I was as wrong as I could possibly be about that! (And I was ECSTATIC to have learned I was completely wrong about that!)

    Now, as a final reassuring comment... try to imagine, if you can (which Saint Paul assured us that no man can) how wonderful those walks will be in Heaven with Scrappy!!!

    I prayed for your Peace of Mind, Brother!
    And I know your (temporary) pain is real.

    Bless And Be Blessed.

    ~ Stephen
    'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. Heaven is hope, and my hope is he'll have our new trails all ready for me.

      Delete