What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Monday, August 26, 2019

Martin World News- Bobby G edition



Monday is a day I normally reserve for fun stuff on this here page, and I'm gonna try to get to that.  But it's harder now.  There's someone who I could always count on to comment, and more importantly, to get my sense of humor, when I posted some news-based, spam-based, or work based inanity.  And he's not there anymore.  Today, I had one of his old followers contact me.  And I thought about the others who might not have known.  And I thought about where it all began.


And that would have been on the site of another blogger that we lost not long ago, the Angry White Boy.  I was searching for the city info only he seemed to know, and followed a comment to Bob's place, The Pa-In Erudition. Thus began a long blog relationship, a very rewarding friendship, and a voice I valued when the worst of times were upon us.


Well, there here now.  But not Bob.

And I struggle with even going on with this.  Not that I think I was writing to an audience of one- when I started out, I didn't care if anyone listened.  But there came those who listened, and those who cared.   And Bob was definitely both of those.  We connected on a lot of fun levels- one of which was Doctor Who.  We both gave each other honorary doctorates, and Bob even went one step farther to add us to the group...




(Of course, he always did look a little more Doctor-y than I did...)


And this is in addition to all the OTHER logos that he made and I use on a weekly basis...

Buddy, I miss you on my comment section.   I miss you in my reading list.  And I miss you in my heart.  Now, let me see if there is a little Bob-worthy material out there today....


From FoxNews:  I'm thinking fingers would have helped


The story said, "Engagement gift from mother-in-law is unexpectedly X-rated".  Of course I had to look.  Seems the mother of the girl being proposed to got a snap of the magic moment, and used it to make a medallion of the moment.  However, when it was done...




...well, there MIGHT be a little controversy over what's supposed to be the non-proposing arm....


CNN- I know it's a reach, but...


Here I thought I might throw in one of my "mix the picture" deals where I couple a photo with the wrong headline.  However, I bent the rules just a wee bit.  First, as always, the headline...

Two historical female role models get their own Barbie dolls

Then the pic...




Although I have to question the headline on spelling ( I think they might have wanted 'hysterical' rather than historical) and accuracy (I never knew Barbies came in 10-foot-tall bronze models), but it's CNN so anything goes...


BBC- Yeah, let's see how long it takes to sink Borneo

Now this is one of those 'read the story and scratch your head at the logic" ones.  It seems that Jakarta, the capital city of Indonesia, is sinking.  Rapidly, in fact, as the burden of pumping out groundwater for 10 million people is too much for the swampy, river-crossed ground it sits on.  So what is Indonesia's solution?  New water sources?  Drastic changes to the building code and zoning?  Nah.  Here's their answer...


Indonesia picks Borneo island as site of new capital

Yep, they are going to move the business of government about 800 miles to the northeast in the jungles of the next island up, Borneo.  Now, to me this brings up several questions.  First and foremost, are they bringing EVERYBODY- or just moving the gov'mint and letting the other 9 million "go float"?  Will the government leaving cut that 3-inches a year sink down to 2 inches a year?  And have they thought about, are they just moving closer to the next volcanic eruption?  Oh, wait, never mind.  This is Indonesia, where you're never more than ten minutes away from the nearest active volcano.  At least that's what it said on MY travel brochure...



Moscow Times:  There's a lot in that... er, flag...

To close us out, I hit a delightful article having a little fun at the expense of the flags and coats-of-arms of various Russian regions.  I thought I's share a few of them...


Perm region


The USA has the Bible Belt, Russia has the Bible Bear....

Khoroshevo, Moscow region...




"...and the third little beaver made his dam with bricks..."


Taldom, Moscow region...



Boy, the trash those Russian birds get into!  One foot in an old shoe, beak through a toothpaste tube...


Norilsk, Krasnoyarsk region...



"...I don't see why Superman can't unlock the door to the Fortress of Solitude his damn self..."

and finally, Novosibirsk region...




"You take it to Gordon Ramsey!"
"No, YOU take it to Gordon Ramsey!"
"No, YOU...."


Bob, I hope you enjoyed it!

6 comments:

  1. In my humble shame, I don't recall Bob's comments, but sounds like he was a class act and a true friend, and God knows we all need at least one (more, if possible) of those in our lifes.

    By the way, I'm sure you already know this, but that statue is of Eric Morecambe and if you've by some chance never heard of Morecambe and Wise, check them out when you have a free hour of two. As soon as I saw that statue, I broke out in a huge smile. Class act and another 2 amazing friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I did not, I apologize for just going for the crass humor. The wiki on him makes the ACTUAL headline of "Want to live longer? Be an optimist" make sense.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss Chris :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a bad year all around. But God is still in His heaven, and things are still funny!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by and making it worthwhile.

      Delete