What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, September 18, 2020

Time Machine co-ordinates VICLX64391866

 


Today is September 18th, 1966- another typical non-news Sunday, in which John Lennon flies to Spain to complete filming of How I Won The War, which I can't say I watched, but the wiki description made it seem rather Benny Hill-ish to me.  Lennon played Musketeer Gripweed...



"I fought for three reasons. I can't remember what they were. The first reason gets you in, and the reason when you are in is staying alive. I won't know the reason they find afterwards, but it will be a very good one for why it was fought. I'm sure I'll be glad."


This is a quite exhausted trip through Time for me, but don't cry for me Argentina, for next week I will be on vacation and the Tardis will be in the shop retrofitting.  But this week, the rout that turned into a comeback last week becomes the rout and stay routed this week- I think we have the largest amount of votes for the winner in Panel history, and I know the winner was 30 votes ahead of everybody!  And also, we'll quite possibly have a live 6D (mainly because I barely stayed awake to do an M10, let alone a 6D, as I was whupped last night, too!).  And Barry McGuire joins us, in our own inimitable and possibly illegal way!  So, let's get started... annnnd ACTION!


*******************************************************



So here we have Barry McGuire- quite possibly the best known one hit wonder in history...

Wait, so I never have another hit?

You didn't hear that from me...

Darn it, I knew that song would typecast me...

And the world didn't end yet, either...

Hey, PF Sloan wrote the song... I could barely read the words as I was singing!

Probably helped the anger and frustration in your voice...

You ain't kidding!

It scared me as a little kid...

Jeez, we're THAT far in the future?  No offense...

Yeah, thanks, we are that far in the future.  And frankly, we're doing a great job of finding ways to destroy ourselves without a big bang.  The Selma, Alabama verse really applies these days.  But let me ask something...

I'm all ears...

That one line- do you say "hate your next door neighbor-" or "EAT your next door neighbor"?

EAT??? No, it's hate, man...

But "eat" works better with "but don't forget to say grace"...

Y'know, it does at that... but I'd have never got it past the execs...

Pretty much my thought.  Anyway, while I told everyone that our 23-song, 99 vote Panel had a runaway winner, I didn't tell them WHO...  And since the only non-charting contestants were Roger Williams' Theme From Dr Zhivago-which got the South African #1 nod- and a garage band version of Aretha Franklin's Respect by the Rationals that was a more entertaining song for me, that leaves you to give us a convincing, 'they all have a chance' reading of the finalists this week!

I can do that!  Please choose from the following...


The Supremes and You Can't Hurry Love at #1 on Cashbox...

The Association and Cherish, at #4...

? and the Mysterians and 96 Tears at 26...

...and the Beatles and Yellow Submarine at #2!


Alright, thanks, Barry!  Next, here's a band who hasn't hit the top 40 since 1983- but hit the top ten 7 times in the 11 years preceding!  They do have a new lp coming out next year, but this first single from it hits first as part of a box set called Half Century... at #10, here's America...





***************************************

Ralph Anthony McDonald was more than a steel drum wizard; he also wrote some songs, including the big hits Where Is The Love by Donny Hathaway and Roberta Flack, and Just The Two Of Us by Grover Washington Jr and the late great Bill Withers.  In a career that started with playing pan in Harry Belafonte's band, he was percussion on the Grammy winning version of This Masquerade by George Benson.  That song- in fact the whole of the lp Breezin'- was produced by Tony LiPuma.  LiPuma was not only a producer, he also co-owned Blue Thumb records, an eclectic outfit that included in its stable Hugh Makasela, Ike and Tina, Gerry Rafferty, the Pointer Sisters, and Dave Mason.  He also got his voice on the 6D this week- he was the narrator on the Sandpipers' version of Guantanamera, at #7 without a Panel vote.

************************************

Our second debut is by an act we first met helping out the Knocks with their hit Trouble.  This is Johnathon Visger, better known as Absofacto, at #9....




*********************************************

Overseas, if you please?  Canada had Georgie Fame at #1 this week with a bouncy tune called Get Away... Australia was sailing in the Yellow Submarine... New Zealand had the Troggs and Wild Thing at the top... As mentioned, the Dr Zhivago Theme, also known as Lara's Theme, topped South Africa... and the UK was digging the Small Faces and All Or Nothing.

Our big mover went to Bob Dylan's Just Like A Woman- 30 spots from 99-69.

*************************************************************

The remaining M10- of which I HOPE to give you an update next week...

#8- eight weeks looks like the limit for the Beths, as Jump Rope Gazers falls here from #3...
#7- Anna Burch's tragic-ending Not So Bad up one spot...
#6- The Innocence Mission jumps from 10 with On Your Side...
#5- Dent May Pours Another Round, up a pair.
#4- Holding in orbit- the Flaming Lips and Flowers Of Neptune 6...
#3- Saintsenca moves up 2 spots closer to the river with In A Van...
#2- Again, it's Hazel English and Off My Mind...
 And at the top for week #2...


...Tennis and Need Your Love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***********************

Ready to see who that big winner was?


If you took ? or the Fab Four, you got 8%...

If you took the Supremes, you got 14.1%...

But the winner, with 45% of the vote- 5 votes shy of lapping the field...




...the Association and Cherish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No next week for the Tardis, but tune in in 2 weeks to greet the Association and 1967!

4 comments:

  1. Cherish is a great song, but it'll always be Diana Ross for me. I've seen many great concerts but she is amazing live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, "Diana" and I always manage to spat over something when she guests... I have to get special clearance from lawyer Bellbottom to have her on...

      Delete
  2. Loved the memories music can bring up I miss listening to music like I use to every day

    ReplyDelete