What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Post #699- this week's M10

 

As I did not use this on the "in the can" 700th post, this may well be the last time I post that lovely logo made by the late Bob Gaul.  I think, perhaps, the M10 posts will go on, under their own umbrella, though the form of which I don't yet know.  It was hard closing Time Machine;  I may let things set posting-wise for a week or three, then come back with these posts.  As the man says, we'll see when we see.

Elvis:  What man says that?

Hey, aren't you supposed to be working on the party?

EP: Nice try.  Ya already said it's in the can.

The after-party, then.  Anyway, I do have this week's top ten lined up, unless, of course, I change my mind as I type...


In fact, the only thing in doubt right now is the third debut this week at #10.  Before we get to the other nine, let me fill in the scene for newcomers.  Back in summer 2015, I finally decided to do my own top ten- but the difference being, time doesn't matter.  If I never heard it before, it has a chance, whether from the 1950's or this week's top forty.  That will come in handy with our high debut at #7.  Without further ado, and waiting on me to pick that last debut, here's the rest of this week's ten:


9- a debut from 3-time M10er with a #1 under their belt, this is Sunflower Bean...



*****************************************************

 

Number eight belongs to a last-week debut, Dami Im and Pray, from the upcoming lp, My Reality.

 

And that high debut at #7.  The last couple of weeks, the Time Machine Panel was the debuts I liked from the Cashbox hot 100s that week in the years of what we call the Martin Era 2.0- from the debut of Rock Around The Clock in 1955 till the debut of How Deep Is Your Love in 1977.  Not needing a Panel anymore, Laurie and I listened to the debuts again this week anyway, and I hit this one from 1971.  It peaked here at #41 on Billboard back then, and #2 in the UK.  It joins us as his second M10 hit- here's Tom Jones...



******************************************************

 

A former #1 sits at #6 this week after a 3-place fall- the late Gerry Rafferty and  Sign Of The Times, from the new posthumous lp Rest In Blue.


Two songs have been battling for the same spot for the last three weeks- and this week, the battle is for 4th and 5th.  Each moving up one spot, it's Star Kendrick and Geowulf at 5 with I've Been Over It; and at #4, it's the Beths from 2020's Jump Rope Gazers and Dying To Believe.


We have had massively high debuts the last three weeks, 2 at #5, last week at #4- and now they are all in the top three...

The pop-version of this song is currently #25 on Billboard; I first heard, and thus charted, an acoustic version... Elton John and Dua Lipa with a cover of Madonna's Cold Heart, at #3.


This was the other big battle of the week- basically a #1 vs #1-A week.  Holding at #2, the Old 97s with a song that tumbled my way from their 2010 lp The Grand Theatre, called Champaign, Illinois.


And for a second week at the top...


Jason Isbell and his 400 Unit, with vocals by Brittney Spencer, and Midnight Train To Georgia!!!!!!!!


And next...

The last few weeks, I have been adding on my list (and sharing with no one) five more songs I call "next 5 up".  Not an actual 11-15 in my mind yet, just a way to keep track of what might pop in later.  I'm busily going through the list to see who's gonna take that tenth and final spot.  So go get some coffee or what-have-you.  Kibitz with the kids.  In mere moments I'll have you that last song.  Really.



And here it is!  It came out on a 2006 EP first... but last week got released as a new single!  So whether you count it as a 2021 song or 2006- here's Barry Manilow at #10!



2 comments: